For old people, needing very low step-thru height - Islabike Joni, Trek Verve Low Step, Raleigh Pioneer, Dawes Windermere . . . any ideas?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
M

Mike160304

I've just been out and measured the step through on my Elephant bike. It's about 18". The Elephants are sold out but are available second hand and they are rebadged Royal mail bikes.

Might be worth investigating. It is a sturdy, heavy bike and very much sit-up-and-beg if that's better for you.

Thanks Anne, that's different and interesting, and 18" step-thru is quite good. I'll look at it.

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
Thanks Anne, that's different and interesting, and 18" step-thru is quite good. I'll look at it.

There's an Elephant bike owners club group on Facebook. Might be able to contact someone local to you and have a test ride. If you're anywhere near me you're more than welcome to try mine.

OP
OP
M

Mike160304

I once bought an Electra townie for my dad. Interesting design in that you can have (a) both feet flat on the ground when stopping starting and (b) quite a low step height. Ignore the "ladies" designation. There is no such thing as a ladies frame really, it's just one that fits.

They are aluminium so not heavy, and there are 21 speed versions if you need low gears.

Have a look on eBay - they don't hold their values well secondhand so you might find a bargain, especially at the end of the summer. There is one that looks pretty much unused for £135.
These 3 links show 3 very different solutions to the same problem:
https://electra.trekbikes.com/us/en...7d-eq-step-thru/p/28073/?colorCode=greenlight
https://www.sixthreezero.com/products/womens-evryjourney-touring-hybrid-bike?variant=12436709015601
https://www.islabikes.co.uk/products/lightweight-step-through-joni-adult-bike

The Islabike Joni is more radical, it has by far the lowest step-thru, and, by the look of it, the lowest weight.

The Electra Townie has the second lowest step-thru.

The SixThreeZero EvryJourney has the third lowest step-thru.

And I happen to like the 8-speed drivetrain of the Islabike, sounds about right.

But to determine "which is best?" is more complicated - one might have to assemble about 6 different riders and carry out about 18 practical test rides. And even then . . . . . .

Mike

Last edited:

Gillstay

Über Member
These 3 links show 3 very different solutions to the same problem:
https://electra.trekbikes.com/us/en...7d-eq-step-thru/p/28073/?colorCode=greenlight
https://www.sixthreezero.com/products/womens-evryjourney-touring-hybrid-bike?variant=12436709015601
https://www.islabikes.co.uk/products/lightweight-step-through-joni-adult-bike

The Islabike Joni is more radical, it has by far the lowest step-thru, and, by the look of it, the lowest weight.

The Electra Townie has the second lowest step-thru.

The SixThreeZero EvryJourney has the third lowest step-thru.

And I happen to like the 8-speed drivetrain of the Islabike, sounds about right.

But to determine "which is best?" is more complicated - one might have to assemble about 6 different riders and carry out about 18 practical test rides. And even then . . . . . .

Mike

Amazing how awkward it is to find out how many gears each has got. But they will point out the bleedin obvious such as its a low frame, or the colour.

OP
OP
M

Mike160304

Amazing how awkward it is to find out how many gears each has got. But they will point out the bleedin obvious such as its a low frame, or the colour.

Yes. Also, asking "How high off the ground is the step-thru?", it is never in the specification, and asking Customer Service, you can hear the blank expressions over the phone. And it is the most critical measurement on a low step bike when an older person is buying it.
I cancelled my order for the Carrera Intercity Disc 9 when I found out that the step-thru height is about 62cm / 24.5". I would be falling over too often.

536878.jpg

Always Cross

Veteran
I have a Bike Friday NWT that has a nice low step over and the step over is quite wide so your foot would fit through well. I’ve invested in it for when I can’t get my leg over anymore.

OP
OP
M

Mike160304

The Raleigh Pioneer range, that I mentioned in this thread's title, attracts me because it has an unfashionable, retro, classic, pretty, nicely painted frame - very neat, I get fed up looking at the macho modern grungie matt blacks and greys of the "scaffolding style" of the thousands of "mountain bikes" that are all around us here, even though there are no mountains in sight.

In step-thru height terms, I have done a quick scaling on a photo and I think the step-thru height is about 46cm / 18", but I shall check it. Whether I could live with this and have a prettier bike, I don't know yet.

Some would call this girlie, well, they can call it anything they like. I, and Raleigh, call it Low Step.

The Pioneer Low Step usually has 21 speeds and a range of equipment options and hence a range of prices.
StepThru1.jpg

Last edited:
Mike, I've been thinking about this and I have another suggestion - although you have no chance of finding a new one.

A Giant Revive. These were designed by Mike Burrows, probably one of the most notable bike designers of the last century.

$_86-3178205869.jpeg

It solves the balance issue in that you will always be able to get your feet down on the floor when starting and stopping.

They are hard to come by now but there is currently one on Ebay.

I would still choose an Electra Townie. It is also semi-recumbent design, in that the cranks are quite a long way forward of your feet although obviously not as much as the Giant.

With the Raleigh you have shown us above you will have to choose between having the seatpost high enough for efficient pedalling or low enough for both feet to be flat on the ground. Islabikes have a similar design but have solved it in a different way with a seatpost that rises up and down with a remote control (a "dropper" post). These are expensive but well-proven, as mountain bikers use them for death defying riding.

Still, it strikes me that the simplest solution is the Electra or the Giant. You have your legs extended enough for efficient pedalling but are still able to put both feet down. This is a very rare thing to find in a mass-produced bike.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

Mike160304

Mike, I've been thinking about this and I have another suggestion - although you have no chance of finding a new one.

A Giant Revive. These were designed by Mike Burrows, probably one of the most notable bike designers of the last century.

View attachment 702239

It solves the balance issue in that you will always be able to get your feet down on the floor when starting and stopping.

I would still choose an Electra Townie. It is also semi-recumbent design, in that the cranks are quite a long way forward of your feet although obviously not as much as the Giant.

With the Raleigh you have shown us above you will have to choose between having the seatpost high enough for efficient pedalling or low enough for both feet to be flat on the ground. Islabikes have a similar design but have solved it in a different way with a seatpost that rises up and down with a remote control (a "dropper" post). These are expensive but well-proven, as mountain bikers use them for death defying riding.

Still, it strikes me that the simplest solution is the Electra or the Giant. You have your legs extended enough for efficient pedalling but are still able to put both feet down. This is a very rare thing to find in a mass-produced bike.

View attachment 702239

Chris, both your replies are a revelation to me. Maybe not in the way you would guess - your suggestions are super-helpful, but:
I HAVE BEEN TRYING TO FIND AN ANSWER BUT I HAD NOT FULLY UNDERSTOOD THE QUESTION.
The Lightbulb Moment was when I read your bit about the Raleigh Pioneer.
My question should have been several questions:
1. With a classic upright design, and sitting on the saddle, how can I get both feet flat on the ground?
2. Going towards semi-recumbent, and sitting on the saddle, what bikes enable me to get both feet flat on the ground?
3. Step-thru height - what bikes have the lowest step-through height?
Re your specific suggestions, some time needed, I'll come back.
Thanks,
Mike

OP
OP
M

Mike160304

Hi Chris, was the Ebay Electra Townie blue, £135? Cos I have just made an offer for it, provided that he lets me arrange a courier collection.
Thanks, Mike

Top Bottom