Trek District 1 Equipped Lowstep - worth the money?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
https://www.trekbikes.com/gb/en_GB/bike ... p/p/33527/

About £950. I doubt anyone here has used this bike, but they might have used a Trek model that's similar. It's a lot of money for me. My current basic hybrid bike needs a lot of work (and will always need more) which I'd have to pay a shop to do, as I'm naturally unskilled at maintenance and repairs no matter how I try. I'd love a good bike that is low maintenance. I'm 57, moderately fit and this would likely be my final bike I hope, so I can justify breaking my piggy bank for it. I ride mostly in town, a little in countryside, and I value reliability far more than anything else in a bike. If someone would provide an opinion I'd be grateful, as there are many much cheaper bikes and I don't want to spend more than I must.

It has 7 hub gears, roller brakes and weighs 18kg. The top of the range version (£1550) has belt drive which looks fabulous. Would it be?

vickster

Legendary Member
No need for suspension for your uses, adds weight and something else to service/go wrong. I‘d find similar without if you’re set on hub gears

OP
OP
T

This Wreckage

Regular
No need for suspension for your uses, adds weight and something else to service/go wrong. I‘d find similar without if you’re set on hub gears

I'm curious as to why you think suspension is of no use when riding roads. Here in the UK, the prevalence of potholes, tree roots lifting up surfaces and rough roads in general means that the suspension on my current bike gets a lot of use. Does it really go wrong a lot?

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
18 kg is heavy - I would want a lighter bike than that!

My large gravel bike with rack and mudguards only weighs about 11 kg and I notice the extra 2-3 kg over my lighter bikes. My MTB weighs 14 kg and that is about as heavy as I'd want to go, and I am 1.86 m (6' 1") tall and fairly fit.

OP
OP
T

This Wreckage

Regular
A lot of people tell me this, but I'm not entirely convinced of its accuracy. I've looked at a random selection of mountain and hybrid bikes online, and they're all around 14-19kg. I'm thinking that a belt drive version would be more ideal for reliability, and the Trek District 3 Equipped is 15kg. If you can point me to alternatives that are 11kg, I'd be interested.

OP
OP
T

This Wreckage

Regular
The more I think about it, the less impressed I am with the design of derailleur gears which have a chain out in the open collecting dirt. Imagine a car designed with that... Or the v-brake which wears quickly and is - like the gears - really difficult to keep set correctly. I've yet to master either and I've been trying for 50 years.

Jody

Stubborn git
I'm curious as to why you think suspension is of no use when riding roads. Here in the UK, the prevalence of potholes, tree roots lifting up surfaces and rough roads in general means that the suspension on my current bike gets a lot of use. Does it really go wrong a lot?

Very limited travel (guessing 30-40mm), badly damped and will weigh many times that of a non suspension fork.

They may take a little sting out of potholes but it won't be much. Your arms and tyres would do a better job.

Given the bike is approaching 40lbs it could do with any weight saving

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
It is counter-intuitive, but cheaper forks add weight and little else.

That doesn't mean you shouldn't buy a bike with suspension if the rest of the bike suits.

Trek is as good a make as any.

It is very heavy, but any 'step thru' - no cross bar - bike will be heavy because it needs thicker tubes to make up for the loss of the bracing effect of the missing cross bar.

The Trek bike is also fully equipped - lights, pavement lock, prop stand, mudguards, carrier - which all add weight.

Even in today's troubled times you have a decent budget, and all the well-known makes offer bikes of this type.

You could probably get something lighter - less equipment - for a little less money.

A trustworthy local bike shop is what's required.

Post a rough location and someone on here will point you in the right direction.

Jameshow

Veteran

If you like suspension go for it.

In a way with a heavy bike the suspension works better as the weight of the frame etc dampens the fork bounce.

I can see the appeal esp if your riding sedately and don't want to ride evasively or slightly out the saddle.

OP
OP
T

This Wreckage

Regular
It is very heavy, but any 'step thru' - no cross bar - bike will be heavy because it needs thicker tubes to make up for the loss of the bracing effect of the missing cross bar.

The Trek bike is also fully equipped - lights, pavement lock, prop stand, mudguards, carrier - which all add weight.

A trustworthy local bike shop is what's required.

Post a rough location and someone on here will point you in the right direction.

I've had bikes without suspension and they were okay, so I could do without. My current hybrid bike has all the extra bits, but I have no idea how much it weighs. I live in north-east England, in the town of Darlington.

Attachments

• Shockwave CT500 bike.jpg
    Shockwave CT500 bike.jpg
    210.1 KB · Views: 29

All uphill

Still rolling along
I understand your desire for reliability and low maintenance, and the appeal of roller brakes and hub gears.

Another approach would be to consider a decent £500 bike with discs and derailleur gears, leaving you a £450 pot which will cover a few years' annual maintenance bills.

If your absolute priorities are cost and reliability you might want to consider a professionally refurbished 1990's steel bike. Simple components, tough as old boots and not attractive to thieves

OP
OP
T

This Wreckage

Regular
Another approach would be to consider a decent £500 bike with discs and derailleur gears, leaving you a £450 pot which will cover a few years' annual maintenance bills.

If your absolute priorities are cost and reliability you might want to consider a professionally refurbished 1990's steel bike. Simple components, tough as old boots and not attractive to thieves

Yes, those are alternatives. I'll think about it. Thank you for the advice!

Gillstay

Über Member
I would buy second hand as its a buyers market at the moment. My brother just bought a £1200 bike which had done 30 miles.
Its the covid effects. Cost him just £600. Its perfect. If you have a fault then your local bike shop could sort it with a bit of the money you have saved. just look on e bay and such like.

albion

Guru
Essentially you are buying their ebike without the ebike bits.
Though I see they left the dutch lock on.

If you are needing a low step for mobility that extra weight will do you no good whatsoever.

OP
OP
T

This Wreckage

Regular
I would buy second hand as its a buyers market at the moment. My brother just bought a £1200 bike which had done 30 miles.
Its the covid effects. Cost him just £600. Its perfect. If you have a fault then your local bike shop could sort it with a bit of the money you have saved. just look on e bay and such like.

I've seen many bargains like that on ebay. Unfortunately, not owning a vehicle, I can't collect one.

Top Bottom