Is used $400 2020 Trek FX Sport 4 worth it

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

noobike

Hi, my first ever post here. I found this used 2020 Trek FX Sport 4 for C$400 and wondering if I should buy it or buy brand new fx disk 2 or giant escape 2 for around C$1000. Looking to commute from home to workplace which is about 10km. I asked the seller few questions and he said
- he rides it once or twice a week since 2020 March
- the odometer on the computer has 3000 km on it
- Last serviced in February 2022
- he said no parts needing repair or replacement. The bike never had any replacement done since it was bought.
- It comes with SPD pedals and doesn’t come with regular pedals so I’ll have to pay for those.

I have no knowledge about bike to inspect in person. I feel like I should buy new because I need to pay for pedal replacement, the bike was rode a lot, have no knowledge about judging bikes conditions, and pay for the bike to be serviced.

However $1000 vs $400 is a big difference and 2020 trek fx sport 4 seems like a great model to get for $400, especially for me mainly going to ride it in urban area for commuting.

I can’t decide…

Kingfisher101

Über Member
Hi, my first ever post here. I found this used 2020 Trek FX Sport 4 for C$400 and wondering if I should buy it or buy brand new fx disk 2 or giant escape 2 for around C$1000. Looking to commute from home to workplace which is about 10km. I asked the seller few questions and he said
- he rides it once or twice a week since 2020 March
- the odometer on the computer has 3000 km on it
- Last serviced in February 2022
- he said no parts needing repair or replacement. The bike never had any replacement done since it was bought.
- It comes with SPD pedals and doesn’t come with regular pedals so I’ll have to pay for those.

I have no knowledge about bike to inspect in person. I feel like I should buy new because I need to pay for pedal replacement, the bike was rode a lot, have no knowledge about judging bikes conditions, and pay for the bike to be serviced.

However $1000 vs $400 is a big difference and 2020 trek fx sport 4 seems like a great model to get for $400, especially for me mainly going to ride it in urban area for commuting.

I can’t decide…

I think you're better off asking on a USA bike site as this is mainly a U.K forum and prices are different over here for bikes both new and secondhand. Ask your local cycling club what they think?

Reactions: C R

AndyRM

XOXO
Pedals won't set you back a great deal, and 3,000 km isn't all that much over 3 years.

If it's in good nick that seems a reasonable price. I'd go in with an offer, maybe $325 and take it from there. Some sellers will hold out for what they believe the bike is worth, others will be more open to negotiating.

Do you have any pictures or a link to the listing? That would help the forum make a more informed decision to help you out.

Top Bottom