For Red Light Jumpers and Pavement Cyclists

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
I've removed my reflectors, as they got in the way. Is that illegal? I thought it was a legal requirement only at night, and only then if you do not have any lights.

CorsairC

Über Member
I removed my bell but then put it back on because its handy clearing a path though walkers on the cycle path in the park I pass through on my commute. I had no room on the handle bars either, so its attached to the head tube. (old mtb, thin tubes) My back brake is a bit noisy at the moment, that works just aswell. Too.

I also removed my reflector. They were in the way of the lights. Old lights often had a reflector in the lense. Modern LED's usually don't though.

I hate this legislation, I bought a trials bike last year, it had front and rear reflectors and a bell, wth?

And yeah, you can just take it off straight away.

Anyone noticed that article was written in 2006 and nothing ever came of it?

I bought a bike last year that had no bell/reflectors on it.
I bought a bike this year that had no bell/reflectors on it either.

You forgot to include the additional savings in the NHS as more people get exercise.

...yet more people receive sports injuries </canofworms>

I've removed my reflectors, as they got in the way. Is that illegal? I thought it was a legal requirement only at night, and only then if you do not have any lights.

Don't quote me - but look it up: I think that the reflector is still needed *but* some lights (specially approved ones) have the reflector built in and thus can be used so long as they are fitted.

Someone needs to design some "stealth" bell which is integrated into the end of a bar or something of the sort (though making a bell work well whilst inside a bar - don't ask me!)
I know this is the "poor" kind of bell, and it's not fully hidden but it's getting to the idea that I meant - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fisher-Incredibell-Bar-End-Bell/dp/B002JE6YZ0

As my response was to a suggestion that haulage could be done by bike, I am not sure where the sporting angle comes into play. Unless you are suggesting introducing an event to the Olympics that uses an 8 freight.

I'm just joking with you - "sport" is the wrong word on itself, but knee problems from cycling and what not, whether its commuting or work would probably still be called a "sport injury".

Am I the only one who closed that PDQ 'cos I read "incredible bell-end"?

icon_redface.gif

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Someone needs to design some "stealth" bell which is integrated into the end of a bar or something of the sort (though making a bell work well whilst inside a bar - don't ask me!)
I know this is the "poor" kind of bell, and it's not fully hidden but it's getting to the idea that I meant - http://www.amazon.co...l/dp/B002JE6YZ0

Bells are rubbish though, i always remove one. i'd rather shout as it will always be louder than a bell and pedestrians will hear me even with ipods on.

Jezston

Über Member
I have reflectors on my bike, but only because I can't be arsed to remove them. Besides, my bike looks so daft even if I did remove the reflectors it would still look stupid.

CorsairC

Über Member
I always found with shouting people look round to see who is shouting at whom. With the bell they just out of the way automatically.

Top Bottom