For Red Light Jumpers and Pavement Cyclists

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
BSRU

BSRU

A Human Being
I'm suprised people don't look at the date on these news articles before posting, Stephen Ladyman isn't even Transport Minister anymore.

I did point out is was an old article, I should have continued checking the law had actually been implemented before actually starting the topic. Since it was Labour I assumed they had no problem introducing stupid and pointless legislation.

I do not know who is the current Transport Minister is.

Peter10

It should be the same here, if you have a driving licence then you know the rules of the road and you have no excuses for ignoring them.:rolleyes:

From that one could argue that all cyclists must have a driving license or otherwise they don't officially know the rules of the road...

Injured cyclist gets driving ban for breaking red light

http://www.independe...ht-2228117.html

Strange but true

The court was also told Mr Cully had not been wearing a reflective jacket, though he claimed in court that his high visibility clothing was removed by medics or ambulance crew when he was taken to hospital.

Don't quite know where this comes into it.

After the case, Mr Cully, originally from Ballyfermot, Dublin, said he intended to appeal both his sentence and conviction. He told the Sunday Independent that he had no previous history involving accidents, though he admitted he is a former drug addict and has served 10 years in prison. "I couldn't possibly have run the red light. I was cycling in rush-hour traffic and if I ran the red light I would have been squashed by on-coming traffic," he added.

So whether he did jump or not is sketchy but RLJers of the world if any of us are involved at an accident at traffic light junctions it looks like laywers will throw the old he/she jumped the traffic signal card whether you are guilty or not.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Just ban all motor vehicles and replace traffic lights with give way's. Problem solved :smile:

Haulage vehicles can be turned into multi person cycling machines, that will solve the job situation.

Look at how my awesome thinking has solved many issues in one. :biggrin:

OP
OP
BSRU

BSRU

A Human Being
There are already penalties for errant cyclists in this country.
It would be rather odd to have cyclists holding driving licences receiving different penalties than non licence holders for the same offence.

The difference is that a licence holder has no excuse for breaking the laws of the road, in theory they should know them as they have supposedly proved their knowledge of the highway code during the driving test.

For example, I have an alcohol licence, so if I buy an under age kid some beer the punishment is far more serious for me then someone without an alcohol licence, as I should know better.

I know it will never happen, unfortunately as a small fine will not stop the criminal activity the criminal feels is justified.

If it becomes law, I fully intend to fit a bell to my seat post, tucked under my saddle as my bars only have space for my lights.

I have been held by the side of the road by police for not having any reflectors on the bike - I think they were not happy about me overtaking them on the roundabout (separate lanes and they did not have lights or sirens on)

he wasn't happy when I pointed out that the bike was older than the legislation for reflectors being fitted to bikes, and then proved that it must have something to do with it as my car (at the time an early fiesta) was road legal without rear seat belts as that was how it came from the factory as it was built before rear seat belts were law.

thus on the same logic, my bike was built before reflector law, so must be exempt also.

ah well.

Just ban all motor vehicles and replace traffic lights with give way's. Problem solved :smile:

Haulage vehicles can be turned into multi person cycling machines, that will solve the job situation.

You forgot to include the additional savings in the NHS as more people get exercise.

OP
OP
BSRU

BSRU

A Human Being

You cannot ban all motor vehicles, if needed I want the emergency services to arrive as fast as possible.

Top Bottom