For Red Light Jumpers and Pavement Cyclists

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

zimzum42

Legendary Member
There is no way I am putting a bell on any of my bikes, I'd rather pay the 'effing fine...

Not quite. As the article states, the current legislation does not require a bell when you are riding, just that the bike is sold with one. The last government may have been looking ti change this, but AFAIK it was never passed.

OP
OP
BSRU

BSRU

A Human Being
Not quite. As the article states, the current legislation does not require a bell when you are riding, just that the bike is sold with one. The last government may have been looking ti change this, but AFAIK it was never passed.

I think it was passed, as far as I remember John Prescott was very happy about it.

Matthames

Über Member
On reading the article that fine of up to £2500 for not having a bell was something that was proposed, there is no mention that it has been passed. Bells are only required to be fitted on bikes that are sold new.

Bromptonaut

Rohan Man
This is a very old story - dateline is 2006. I'm pretty sure Ladyman was just posturing for the press and nothing happened.

I'd also be keen to see the authority for the statement that one can get penalty points for offences committed on a bike. It seems counter-intuitive to me but OTOH the same government proposed to allow civil servants at the newly re-styled Child Support Agency to confiscate passports or driving licences.

OP
OP
BSRU

BSRU

A Human Being

I agree I was wrong about this, I found information that that part of the legislation had been shelved.

OP
OP
BSRU

BSRU

A Human Being
After my trawl through the current RTA law it seems I was writing complete b0ll0cks.<br><br>Seems the maximum punishments for cycling are £2500 fine but most offences are maximum £1000.<br>

bell on bike... the uncoolest accessory going!

however they do make riding on shared use paths a lot more user friendly

+1

I use mine at least a couple of times a week; me calling out "Oi!!" seems to shock the living daylights out of the poor things on the shared-path... a little ding of the bell seems to be a much more pleasant awakening.

:smile:

on the road

Über Member
I'm suprised people don't look at the date on these news articles before posting, Stephen Ladyman isn't even Transport Minister anymore.

Top Bottom