For sale pair of used Shimano 105 5800 shifters

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Darren Gregory

Rides a Pinnacle Arkose 3 and a Trek Emonda SL6
Afternoon all

I am selling a pair of Shimano 105 5800 shifters. Only selling as I have upgraded to RS505 hydraulics. I have listed them on eBay here. Looking for £75 for the pair.

26209221160_7d5ae33fcc_o.jpg
25877246294_eabba9eb82_o.jpg
25877242204_da98457a4f_o.jpg
26482118895_a6b15fa4f3_o.jpg
25877243914_6e3c53dc2f_o.jpg
26456197946_9c15148784_o.jpg
26456196356_41be2a56b3_o.jpg
26209257850_b7590b7014_o.jpg

Any questions please ask, thanks for looking.

Darren

Out of interest, how much has it cost you to convert, and do you feel it's been worth it?

I only ask as I'm considering the same upgrade, but am balking at the cost.

Graham

OP
OP
Darren Gregory

Darren Gregory

Out of interest, how much has it cost you to convert, and do you feel it's been worth it?

Graham

About

Graham

About £200 all in so far minus whatever I make from selling the 105 shifters and avid callipers. I am keeping the rotors. Do I feel it's worth it? I don't think I can answer that as of yet. I have only ridden the bike twice on my commute to work and back. I need a bit longer to consider the difference, perhaps I will write longer post when I have more time with the brakes. I will try to give you a better response maybe later this week.

I wouldn't pay RRP.

OP
OP
Darren Gregory

Darren Gregory

Graham

Hello bit of a longer term report. In terms of how well they work, really good is the answer although you would expect that as generally speaking hydraulic discs tend to get good reviews across the board.

I particularly love that i can take my wheels out put them back and the self adjusting nature means no rubbing. With cable discs i always found preventing rub a problem.

Now to the bad bits. The levers themselves are larger than 5800 105, I knew this before I bought them. I don't consider myself to have small hands so the size hasn't overly bothered me. What has is that the design of the hood where the slot for the lateral movement of the lever sits where my thumb naturally sits when on the hoods and is irritating. It means my thumb is uncomfortable and if the plastic were any sharper it would cut. Difficult to explain so when I have as moment I might try and provide a picture.

I still think it was a good purchase. If you can afford to spend more though you might want to consider the Ultegra style hydraulics which I think are somewhat more like the cable operated levers on design.

Last edited:
Thanks for making the effort to report back.

Interestingly, since your original post I've managed to get the Pro Render R cable disks on my CAADX working fairly well by increasing the rear rotor size to 160mm, getting new pads and bedding them in properly.

With hindsight though, I wish I'd spent the extra and gone for the Ultegra CAADX with hydraulic discs as standard. Couldn't see any 2nd hand at the time though.

Graham

Top Bottom