for the experts 48v battery 36v bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
ive found this product and wonder if i fit it, will i be able to use a 48v battery on a 36v system

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DPS5020-S...720980?hash=item3d4ec7c8d4:g:CYMAAOSwmudaBqBO

it says from 50v and upto 20a

do you think it will work
Depends on the motor, you could easily burn some of them out.

cheys03

Veteran
Whilst this should work in theory I think you'll find that in practice the DC-DC device is not up to the task and burns out shortly after trying it. Especially if you're not adding heatsinks and airflow to cool it.
What happens then ...? If the DC-DC shorts it will blow the fuse on your battery. If it bypasses it will put 48v in to your 36v eBike controller and might be game over for e part of the eBike. Best case it just blows without consequences but leaving you having to arrange return shipping etc.
In short you'd be better trying to source a 36v battery within your budget or modify/replace the controller to accept 48v.

OP
OP
B

billym0404

Whilst this should work in theory I think you'll find that in practice the DC-DC device is not up to the task and burns out shortly after trying it. Especially if you're not adding heatsinks and airflow to cool it.
What happens then ...? If the DC-DC shorts it will blow the fuse on your battery. If it bypasses it will put 48v in to your 36v eBike controller and might be game over for e part of the eBike. Best case it just blows without consequences but leaving you having to arrange return shipping etc.
In short you'd be better trying to source a 36v battery within your budget or modify/replace the controller to accept 48v.
thanks for that. so bad idea then. i was just wanting to use the same battery on different motors. there must be some way of cutting 48v output down to 36v.

OP
OP
B

billym0404

so, and this may be a stupid question. "replace the controller to accept 48v" so on a bafang BBS01 is the controller in the screen (as my screen has a vault-age setting) or is it in the motor case, which is where i think it is.

i do have a plan b but out of practice and not sure if im up to it, and dont have the right solding iron. i have a neally new 48v 13a battery would guess at 65 cells. i could turn it into 36v 15a using 60 cells and a new BMS. or plan c as the battery is barley used just sell it and buy a new 36v. though that defetes the orginal plan of trying to use the same 48v battery on two different motors lol

midlife

Guru
Way back in the 70's doing A level physics I'm sure we messed around with voltages using Zener diodes and split circuits with resistors....

Top Bottom