For those in Hampshire...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PBancroft

The public are being asked for their views on the future of Hampshire's roads and transport plan. The consultation itself can be found here: www.hants.gov.uk/consultation

whistling.gif

XmisterIS

Purveyor of fine nonsense

You wouldn't, perchance, be a council employee would you?
tongue.gif

Thanks for the link though, when I have a little time I will fill in the survey(s). I can think of a number of places in the coastal area where Dutch-style cycle lanes would be very helpful - and would be used a lot, with the coastal area being as flat as a pancake.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Top job, K.

I'm trying not to be a great big cynical old Hector and believe this could be an opportunity for a fresh outlook on transport, but those P&Rs just keep being built......

While you're on, I've noticed a big increase in the number of cyclists in Winchester over the last year. I find this interesting because Winch doesn't have any real infrastructure to tempt new riders and the hills, narrow roads, brutal little one-way system and traffic make for an unwelcoming riding experience. My theory is that the uptake is being driven by the large number of commuters into London are spawning a local cycling scene. Basingstoke, at the other end of my commute, has many of the bits that are supposed to encourage cycling (occasionally good cycle paths, good bike parking and storage in the centre) but I rarely see another cyclist. It makes me think that the 'build it and they will come' approach to infrastructure is a little simplistic.

OP
OP
PBancroft

PBancroft

Top job, K.

I'm trying not to be a great big cynical old Hector and believe this could be an opportunity for a fresh outlook on transport, but those P&Rs just keep being built......

While you're on, I've noticed a big increase in the number of cyclists in Winchester over the last year. I find this interesting because Winch doesn't have any real infrastructure to tempt new riders and the hills, narrow roads, brutal little one-way system and traffic make for an unwelcoming riding experience. My theory is that the uptake is being driven by the large number of commuters into London are spawning a local cycling scene. Basingstoke, at the other end of my commute, has many of the bits that are supposed to encourage cycling (occasionally good cycle paths, good bike parking and storage in the centre) but I rarely see another cyclist. It makes me think that the 'build it and they will come' approach to infrastructure is a little simplistic.

For the benefit of people other than Bollo, and in the interest of full disclosure, I do work for Hampshire County Council but not in the Highways Department.

I think you're right - I think that there has been an increase in numbers of cyclists. I've defintely seen this at work, so some you see around are my colleagues (we now have a vastly improved cycle parking and facilities). I'm not sure what the long term plan is of traffic in Winchester as it isn't part of my daily work - this consultation may be an oppotunity to help to build it, or at least raise the profile of cycling in the area. I would genuinely encourage all cyclists in the area to put their views forward, even if our views on our needs aren't always consistent!

Top Bottom