Fording

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

icowden

Veteran
What really boggles is the occasional driver who watches a car go through, get stuck, break down, get towed etc but then goes...

"I'll have a go at that. What could go wrong?"

Also the people who can't apparently see the stick saying the water is 3 feet deep.

Be interesting to see some electric cars go through. In theory they shouldn't have a problem.

UPDATE:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGjQR3C_ODk

No problem other than losing the licence plate.

Last edited:
My Electric Leaf has a 700mm depth of water rating apparently. Not that I'd be testing that.

Rufford needs to be closed now I think. It's only a matter of time before they kill a bystander or have a head on.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I disagree, for 330 (total guess) days a year there is no issue, what is needed is common sense taught to people. It's a long way around if it's closed
Yes it relatively harmless to others as they just tend to damage their own vehicles.

what really needs banning is total tools "green laning" smashing up bridleways in 4x4's just because they can.

D

Deleted member 26715

what really needs banning is total tools "green laning" smashing up bridleways in 4x4's just because they can.
You'll not get any argument from me on that, although I do think you'll find like in everything, the responsible green laners are not to blame, it's the usual rouge element, it's as contentious as red light jumping on a green laning forum

Jody

Stubborn git

Like these tools that Derbyshire Police are currently after.

They decided to take their car for a dip last weekend during the storms. The Disco was later found washed down river.

The others in the convoy allegedly decided to rip up the surrounding famers fields.

Attachments

• Capture2.JPG
    Capture2.JPG
    58.9 KB · Views: 13
In Whitby, as l type
I might head back over the ‘moor road’ from Egton Bridge, to see what the fords are like en-route to Pickering

Decided against it, just in case the water were still too high

presta

Guru
The South West Coast Path follows the tidal road at the Avon, with a high tide detour over the adjacent hill. When I was walking it I arrived just as the tide was coming in, but I could see the low point that floods and decided I had time to get across rather than climb the hill. Then half a mile up the road I came to another low point which was submerged by now, so I turned back and ran as fast as I could with walking boots and a 30lb rucsac, splashing through the now submerged section that I'd just come along. When I got to the pub in Aveton Gifford the barman said "Oh, you'd have been alright, that second bit is the last one".

When I was back there on the bike ~10 years later the tide was out.

The Strood at Mersea floods on spring tides, but I've only ever seen it covered once. I arrived just as the tide was turning, and had a wait of an hour before I could ride across dry on the path. By that time the cars had already been driving through a few inches on the road for several minutes, but I didn't want my rims full of salt water. AFAIK, at one time the Peldon Rose used to have a special concession to remain open out of hours when the Strood was covered as a refuge for travellers.

I followed road signs to Tarr Steps at a time when I'd never seen them before, but when I saw what was there I wasn't about to drive through that, so I turned round.

In Whitby, as l type
I might head back over the ‘moor road’ from Egton Bridge, to see what the fords are like en-route to Pickering
I remember wrestling the bike over the narrow bridge at Grosmont ford, it wasn't particularly full, but it looked very slippery.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I remember wrestling the bike over the narrow bridge at Grosmont ford, it wasn't particularly full, but it looked very slippery.
I know it well, nice quiet route to Beck hole and Goathland, added advantage it skips the worst of the hills.

Going a bit off topic, but i wouldn't want to risk any ford on a bike, particular a road bike. In my somewhat less cautious youth I did one on a MTB on a works outward bounds weekend, somewhere near St Davids, on the instructors bike I was borrowing. He was watching on very nervously as I had too much entry speed, but I somehow kept it upright.

When I lived in Bangor (Gwynedd) there was a ford on a back route we often used to get round the traffic in town.
Most of the time is was a few inches deep
But if it had rained a lot recently it could go to over a foot and start to get a bit dodgy at which point locals started to avoid it unless they were in a proper Landrover or similar

It used to be great fun on bikes in the summer - especially as there was a steep hill down to it!

The few people I saw that has got stuck were the sort of people who didn;t know to keep the engine running at speed to ensure positive pressure forcing the exhaust gasses get out.
Or just idiots that didn;t look at the depth guage clearly visible on the side of the walkway

pawl

Legendary Member
There's one nearby to me, Watery Gate Lane known as Thurlaston Watersplash when I was a kid is normally only a few inches deep until it rains.

View attachment 633187 View attachment 633187

I've seen the water level up to the level of the footpath.

Last time I came by the lane end two weeks ago the road was closed
.I don’t very often cycle down down Watery Gate lane when I do I’m to much of a coward to attempt to ride across Always take the raised walk way
Can’t remember what year it was car washing was prohibited due to drought conditions Photos of people washing their cars in the ford appeared in the Leicester Mercury

cheys03

Veteran
There's one nearby to me, Watery Gate Lane known as Thurlaston Watersplash.
I came across this one by accident on a ride and wondered if it ever catches anyone out. From the footbridge looking downstream there were a couple of front bumpers caught on the bank which quickly indicated that it does! Nice little lane actually

Top Bottom