Foreign currency

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mr_hippo

Living Legend & Old Fart
Dayvo said:
The big old 5p coins (before they became the big new 5p coins, and before they became the small new 5p coins :smile:) were the exact size of a German deutschmark; great for using in fag machines, drink machines, phone boxes etc. and all for a fraction of the price. ;)

The same thing was true of the Thai 10 Baht (16p) coin in Euro machines.

ChrisKH

Guru
I've got a sizeable investment in US$ acquired when the pound was above $2.00 by some margin. I'm often there so it makes sense. I have a fairly hefty bag full of Swiss whatever's (Francs?) high denomination coins. Acquired as an investment from a reputable travel company that used to take coins for charity - the regional manager would hold up a bag of change and guesstimate its worth in GBP and then sell this (all proceeds to charity) to the first offer. I acquired a bag worth £50-80 for £15.00. But it is all coins. And I have never been to Switzerland.

OP
OP
gbb

gbb

Legendary Member
ChrisKH said:
I've got a sizeable investment in US$ acquired when the pound was above $2.00 by some margin. I'm often there so it makes sense. I have a fairly hefty bag full of Swiss whatever's (Francs?) high denomination coins. Acquired as an investment from a reputable travel company that used to take coins for charity - the regional manager would hold up a bag of change and guesstimate its worth in GBP and then sell this (all proceeds to charity) to the first offer. I acquired a bag worth £50-80 for £15.00. But it is all coins. And I have never been to Switzerland.

Funny that, cos i've got a sizeable investment in the (probably now defunct) Post Office Savings Account.
Yes sir....i had 50p in that account back in 1973....and i want it back !!!!!! Must be worth all of 56p now :smile::biggrin:
Ironically....despite the similarity in our tales....i've never been to Switzerland either. Small world innit :biggrin:

OP
OP
gbb

gbb

Legendary Member
I had a load of Cypriot pounds, but just shifted them on a recent trip
When i went to Uruguay, i was given a load of US $ and the accountant said, here..take this as well...500 Pesos note.
:biggrin::thumbsup: Bloody ell i thought...i wonder what thats worth. ( he didnt know either)
A measly £10 :smile: it turned out.
I got my own back....i gave him all my reciepts when i got back....a right mixture of Sterling, US Dollars, Euros and Uruguyan Pesos...work that one out then :biggrin:

Quick search...i've found...
35 Uruguayan Pesos....about 85p i think
15 euros....................about £11
5 Turkish Lira..............about £2.15

£14.........crikey. Now wheres that PO Savings Account book

got-to-get-fit

Keith Oates said:
US dollars, South African Rand, Singapore dollars, Indonesian Rupiah, Danish Kroner, Philippine pesos, Korean won, Kenyan Shiligi, Hong Kong dollars, Vietnamese dong, Chinese Yuan and Belgium francs. There are others but I've not got them with me at the moment!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jesus christ, Keith are you a gunrunner or spy?.............how many passports do you have?

Top Bottom