England : Lancashire Forest of Bowland ride from Whalley, Sat, 19th Sept 2015.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Would have been nice to meet up again with the old regulars but unfortunately Saturday is still a work day :sad:
Pity ... Mind you, most of the 'old regulars' do not turn out for my rides these days!

I can't make the Season of Mists audax this year because my family are visiting that weekend (second weekend in October), so I will organise something for the first weekend in October instead. I'll make it a Sunday for that one - which is ... [checks] ... October 4th. (I just plotted a route - a lumpy local loop with about 2,000 m of climbing in 80 km, or 6,500 ft of climbing in 50 miles for the imperialists. Details will be posted in a new forum ride thread after this ride has been completed.)

Would have really liked to have joined you on this one...But work commitments have put paid to any cycling apart from cycling to work this weekend.
Going to ride your route either Tomorrow or Wednesday as I'm not in work. Will choose the best weather day..
It's a pity you are not free to join us. Enjoy your ride and be sure to pop back in and tell us what you think of the route! (You might already be familiar with those roads, given that you are based in Lancashire, but if not, I think you will be very pleased to discover them.)

Pity ... Mind you, most of the 'old regulars' do not turn out for my rides these days!

I can't make the Season of Mists audax this year because my family are visiting that weekend (second weekend in October), so I will organise something for the first weekend in October instead. I'll make it a Sunday for that one - which is ... [checks] ... October 4th. (I just plotted a route - a lumpy local loop with about 2,000 m of climbing in 80 km, or 6,500 ft of climbing in 50 miles for the imperialists. Details will be posted in a new forum ride thread after this ride has been completed.)

:angry: 4th of October will be over in Ingleton, swmbo as already got tickets for a do that weekend, unless your route goes anywhere close?

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

:angry: 4th of October will be over in Ingleton, swmbo as already got tickets for a do that weekend, unless your route goes anywhere close?
Sorry, it is from Hebden Bridge so it doesn't get anywhere close.

Are you free on November 1st? I might organise a metric century ride that day for my November entry in the metric-century-a-month challenge.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

As I half suspected we will be in Carlisle on that weekend. Pity I was looking forward to it but needs must.
Oh well ... How about the 50-miler from Hebden Bridge on 4th October or a 100 km ride (route yet to be plotted) on 1st November?

I'm still waiting to hear from my non-CC pals about Saturday's ride. I'll text them on Thursday to remind them if they haven't replied by then.

Stu Smith

Veteran
Co
It's a pity you are not free to join us. Enjoy your ride and be sure to pop back in and tell us what you think of the route! (You might already be familiar with those roads, given that you are based in Lancashire, but if not, I think you will be very pleased to discover them.)

Colin could you post a GPX file of the route,so I can download the route to my Garmin..I'm going to attempt the ride tomorrow.
Thanks for your help..

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Co

Colin could you post a GPX file of the route,so I can download the route to my Garmin..I'm going to attempt the ride tomorrow.
Thanks for your help..
Oh yes - I forgot to do that. Here you go ... (attached below)

There is a short detour marked in Waddington to Country Kitchen cafe, and I have plotted a different road back through Great Mitton because I like to go straight on at the bend and come round the back of the church.

Attachments

• 80 km fells loop.gpx
    25.2 KB · Views: 90
Oh well ... How about the 50-miler from Hebden Bridge on 4th October or a 100 km ride (route yet to be plotted) on 1st November?
Should be able to make one if not both, most likely the 100k. See thee soon

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

The forecast for Saturday is getting better as the weekend approaches, so it should be safe for some of you forum ride lurkers to come out of hiding and declare your interest below! :okay:

I am hoping that @Stu Smith will be along later to tell you that he LOVED the route when he rode it today, and that he recommends you to join our ride on Saturday ... :whistle:

Stu Smith

Veteran
I am hoping that @Stu Smith will be along later to tell you that he LOVED the route when he rode it today, and that he recommends you to join our ride on Saturday ... :whistle:

Would most definitely recommend this route if the weather is anything like it was today the views make the climbing so worth it..
Will be riding this route again,just wish I could join you on Saturday, but work calls..
Did cheat a little and went the Inglewhite way from Longridge :blush:

Thanks for the inspiration for this ride Colin.
https://www.strava.com/activities/393448662

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Would most definitely recommend this route if the weather is anything like it was today the views make the climbing so worth it..
Will be riding this route again,just wish I could join you on Saturday, but work calls..
Did cheat a little and went the Inglewhite way from Longridge :blush:

Thanks for the inspiration for this ride Colin.
https://www.strava.com/activities/393448662
I am glad that you had a good ride, Stu. Did you go via Inglewhite to reduce the amount of climbing?

The forecast is still holding up, so I will be pretty disappointed if the weather turns bad at the last minute.

Still no word from my offline pals ... I will contact them later today to see if they intend to come. If it just @Littgull and me, we will still enjoy the ride but we will be sure to write glowing post-ride reports to make the rest of you lurkers regret not joining us! :okay:

Stu Smith

Veteran
Did you go via Inglewhite to reduce the amount of climbing?

Yeah:whistle:
The next time I do the route I'll take in Longridge fell and Beacon fell honest:thumbsup:
The weather is still set fair for Saturday, your pals do not what they will be missing..
Hope I can join you on one of your forum rides in the near future..I work a 4 on 4 off pattern which involves quite a lot of weekend working..

Have a good ride tomorrow..

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Yeah:whistle:
The next time I do the route I'll take in Longridge fell and Beacon fell honest:thumbsup:
I did choose the easy side of Longridge Fell! The south side is much harder, but the north side is more of a long drag up and down.

The weather is still set fair for Saturday, your pals do not what they will be missing..
I just heard that Carrie and Kevin will be coming so that makes the rider list ...
  • ColinJ
  • Littgull
  • Carrie and Kevin (not on CycleChat)
More riders welcome!

Have a good ride tomorrow..
I think we will stick to doing it on Saturday or it could get confusing! :laugh:

Top Bottom