Forgive me Lord, for I have binned

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GeekDadZoid

Über Member
I read somewhere that they are banning putting inner tubes in domestic waste and they have to be returned to a shop for recycling - don't know what stage it is at as shops won't be happy about everyone rocking up and dumping their old tubes on them!!!

Around here many shops already collect them for recycling by various businesses.

GeekDadZoid

Über Member
Here is a card wallet I bought before Christmas that's from recycled innertubes from a company on Etsy, actually a brilliant wallet.

IMG_20201222_104459.jpg

I read somewhere that they are banning putting inner tubes in domestic waste and they have to be returned to a shop for recycling - don't know what stage it is at as shops won't be happy about everyone rocking up and dumping their old tubes on them!!!
I for one welcome our new bin police overlords.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
More tree-hugger nonsense to be ignored and laughed at. There's no good reason to be throwing old inner tubes away anyway, since they have a multitude of alternative uses.
I acquired four suspected dodgy ones that had been dumped on street the other day, so I took them home to test. One is perfectly good and has now become a spare, one has got a big chunk out of it and the other two inexplicably lose pressure very slowly even though I can find no puncture holes in either. The damaged one will be used as a protective chain sleeve, and the two dodgy ones are being split circumferentially to use as tube protectors to prevent tuffy tape tyre liners from rubbing the inner tubes they are next to. There are always alternative uses that old inner tubes can be put to.

a.twiddler

Veteran
I patch rather than replace. Thing is, how far can you take it? By the time your valve looks like a rat poking its nose out from a field of mushrooms and the tube weighs several times what it did when new, it'll be hard to make a wallet or anything else out of it. I agree with @SkipdiverJohn that there are many uses for inner tubes before they get to that stage, but despite his derision of tree huggers I think he is leaning in that direction himself. A closet tree hugger perhaps? Recycle, re use, do your bit to save the planet. What's wrong with that? Also, save some money.

Reactions: C R

Teamfixed

Tim Lewis
I think this one may be a bit beyond?

Teamfixed

Tim Lewis
I'm going through some tubes to check them.... It's getting dangerous around here now. Not much pressure either.
20210123_170232.jpg

Top Bottom