Fork ;)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
And how will someone with no knowledge of forks be assured that the. item they are buying is "half decent" and not shagged? Few riders bother having them serviced every 50-100 riding hours, which leaves the used market rammed full of tat. I know how to strip and service most types, and have the tools to do so, and I'd be extremely wary before touching a used set.

It's clearly not impossible, but it's a tall order for someone who was inclined to buy Suntour forks...

Jody

Stubborn git
And how will someone with no knowledge of forks be assured that the. item they are buying is "half decent" and not shagged? Few riders bother having them serviced every 50-100 riding hours, which leaves the used market rammed full of tat. I know how to strip and service most types, and have the tools to do so, and I'd be extremely wary before touching a used set.

It's clearly not impossible, but it's a tall order for someone who was inclined to buy Suntour forks...

Thats the risk the OP takes if he wants to upgrade his forks on a shoe string budget. But to say few riders service their forks is a little far fetched, as with everthing sold online there will be good and bad. Most riders I know service their forks, maybe not on the 50 hour shedule because that is a little excessive.

Its still a better idea than advising to stick a rigid fork on.

I will PM you my address.
A set of Rock Shox comin' at ya !!!!!
^_^

OP
OP
BretonM

BretonM

Really though?
The sarcasm is real

Psycolist

NINJA BYKALIST
I well understand that the Suntour branded forks generally leave a lot to be desired, but I do have a little soft spot for them. Many people use and enjoy them when not being used for anything more than hopping up or down a kerb or going over an in-made car park with a few pot holes. They do quickly get found out when trying a bit of proper off road. I have a pair of XC on my hybrid. They suit the type of use I ask of them, cycle paths, foot paths, an odd farm track, but otherwise road use. I cant justify spending hundreds of pounds on a fork for this type of riding. But on my off road bike which I still only use on bridle ways, farm tracks, woodland both on and off trail, farmland and an occasional bit of rock work, the Suntours can actually be dangerous. I found this out when I sold my RockShox Sid World Record carbons, and replaced them with Suntour XCR's. On the installation ride, they very nearly threw me like a bucking bronco when crossing a local field that I use as a test ground. That really proved to me just how important a good fork is, when wanting to be able to go properly off road. But, many users never do that, so for them, Suntours are still an ok option IMO.

OP
OP
BretonM

BretonM

I well understand that the Suntour branded forks generally leave a lot to be desired, but I do have a little soft spot for them. Many people use and enjoy them when not being used for anything more than hopping up or down a kerb or going over an in-made car park with a few pot holes. They do quickly get found out when trying a bit of proper off road. I have a pair of XC on my hybrid. They suit the type of use I ask of them, cycle paths, foot paths, an odd farm track, but otherwise road use. I cant justify spending hundreds of pounds on a fork for this type of riding. But on my off road bike which I still only use on bridle ways, farm tracks, woodland both on and off trail, farmland and an occasional bit of rock work, the Suntours can actually be dangerous. I found this out when I sold my RockShox Sid World Record carbons, and replaced them with Suntour XCR's. On the installation ride, they very nearly threw me like a bucking bronco when crossing a local field that I use as a test ground. That really proved to me just how important a good fork is, when wanting to be able to go properly off road. But, many users never do that, so for them, Suntours are still an ok option IMO.
Thanks for the message mate

Top Bottom