Forks 853 vs 631 vs Reynolds R blades....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jameshow

Veteran
Some of the lanes round Crediton are as rough as some of the worst ones that I encounter back in Yorkshire and Lancashire. I found that going up from 25C to 28C made a significant difference.

I am running about the same pressure but I am 17+ kg lighter than you which might make it more comfy. (The tyre must have more 'give' remaining for me.)

The Devon bike can take bigger tyres. I think I will go up to 30C or even 32C (the size limit) when the current tyres wear out.

My Yorkshire bikes already have double-wrapped bar tape and it definitely helps. I think I will add a second layer to the Devon bike next time I come down.

Speaking of which... I still hope to do a (slow!) scenic Devon metric century with you both next spring or summer? I will try to get fitter by then so I don't hold you up too much!

My Devon bike is a 2" tyred mtb!!

I've thought about a road bike but the roads are really poor and often muddy so I can see myself on my backside on 25mm wheels!

The only time I thought a road bike would be good was the queen jubilee bank holiday when I did the Hartland, Bude, Bideford triangle on the A roads!

Jameshow

Veteran
Look forward to that - we have accomodation if you need it too - be lovely to meet :-)
32C won't quite squeeze-in without mudguards on the Rourke IIRC.
I'm up for that can ride down from Hartland for extra miles!!

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Look forward to that - we have accomodation if you need it too - be lovely to meet :-)

It's nice of you to offer but there is always a spare bedroom waiting for me at my sister's place, not far away.

I have been down 6 times in the past 18 months and aim to keep up that average as long as possible.

I hope that you manage to sort out your bike's comfort issues.

I bought what I suppose would be called a gravel bike from @Venod's son and have left it down here to save me carting it up and down the country.

As you can see, there is loads of clearance for bigger tyres...

unsuitable-for-motors-or-bikes-jpg.jpg

(And how rough some of those lanes are. Er, and that I need to get fitter!)

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...

I've thought about a road bike but the roads are really poor and often muddy so I can see myself on my backside on 25mm wheels!

The only time I thought a road bike would be good was the queen jubilee bank holiday when I did the Hartland, Bude, Bideford triangle on the A roads!

I have a 531 Orbit Expedition frame collecting dust...it just may get repurposed into a gravelly/Devon lanes comfort bike.....

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

UPDATE:
Been running lower pressures and now at 60/70psi F/R and it seems a sweet-spot, not feeling sluggish and just starting to be a bit more absorbing.
My mate took me out on one of his fave rides from Crediton, Tedburn, Haldon hill, Dawlish, up the estuary to Exeter and back roads to Creddy again. Frickin' hell, 3000ft of climbing most in the first 10 miles, and no miles to warm-up!!!
Roads rough as rats, but the vibes through the bars not an issue.
May still go the carbon forks from Spa...with those kind of gradients, I need to shed every gram possible....

The other thing that happened is that that in swapping my Spoon back onto the bike rather than the Brooks, I'd not done the seatpost up tight enough which slowly slid down. When I corrected it I had it slightly lower than I would normally have put it and that may also have helped.
Even though you think you have years of experience setting-up bikes, you can still find a setting that works slightly better!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

Feedback from SPA:

A carbon fork will be lighter and more comfortable than a steel fork.
https://spacycles.co.uk/m21b0s29p2625/SPA-CYCLES-Carbon-Alloy-Audax-Road-Fork

I don't think there would be much difference between your current 853 fork and a Spa Steel Road fork.

If you can visit our shop you could actually ride to demo models fitted with a Carbon Alloy Audax forks, and thereby gauge how they actually compare to your current fork. It would help to ride your bike and a demo with carbon forks, to fully appreciate the difference.

What do you think?

Well it's a 600 mile round journey to Harrogate, so I might take their word for it and have a punt. I could do with a spare fork for another project anyhow....

UPDATE!

Fitted the Spa Carbon Fork - the difference over the 853 original is notable immediately!
Just pushing the bike along by the saddle it feels more 'springy', riding it is a revelation - much smoother, less vibes through the bars, less overall road shock even at 70/80psi pressures. Before it felt a bit 'dead' to ride, now it feels altogether a bit more lively.
It weighs 250g less too!
£120 well spent.

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

A carbon fork is an option I'm considering for the Scott. All the plus points FF has mentioned, plus it allows me, by having a fresh, uncut steerer, to raise the bars as much as I want. Lightness doesn't hurt either!

Having a longer steerer as I age was part of my thinking too.
Out on it yesterday it feels like a new bicycle!

Top Bottom