Forks 853 vs 631 vs Reynolds R blades....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Mmmm....

My Custom 853 Rourke was made with 853 fork blades which suited the type of faster clubby type riding I was doing then. Increasing age and deteriorating road surfaces means the front end is now giving me more vibes than ideally I would like for longer slower types of riding on more agricultural road surfaces.

Rourke will build me the same spec fork, same offset etc in 631 or Reynolds R-blades. 631 is thinner and lighter than the R-blade (not that weight is the issue here).

Any view as to which will be most shock-absorbing/comfortable?

Last edited:

Jameshow

Veteran
I would think trail and curve if the forks might be of greater consequence. A longer rake will give more spring and more stable steering.

Curved forks will give more spring than straight I would think. Only had curved myself.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Bigger and/or better tyres might make more difference. And double-wrapped bars. But you might also need to tweak your positioning.

Mmmm....

My Custom 853 Rourke was made with 853 fork blades which suited the type of faster clubby type riding I was doing then. Increasing age and deteriorating road surfaces means the front end is now giving me more vibes than I deally I would like for longer slower types of riding on more agricultural road surfaces.

Rourke will build me the same spec fork, same offset etc in 631 or Reynolds R-blades. 631 is thinner and lighter than the R-blade (not that weight is the issue here).

Any view as to which will be most shock-absorbing/comfortable?

Shouldn't Rourke be able to advise ?

What tyre width and pressure do you have on there ? That would be my first move.

FishFright

More wheels than sense
It won't make a lot of difference , Rourke jr will make what he thinks you should have. He's usually correct though.

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

Presumably this is a rim brake bike hence the tyre restrictions?
What about a carbon fork ?

Carbon is possible if you can suggest one with eyelets that is springy (for want of a better word).
I went steel for double eyelets and tabs for dynohub cabling....

Last edited:

Venod

Eh up
Carbon is possible if you can suggest one with eyelets that is springy (for want of a better word).
Loads of carbon forks with eyelets, don't know about the springiness, but in my experience carbon forks always seem smoother than steel.
Wiggle do some for £100, but there are alternatives I put some Chinese ones on a Cannondale CX (originals smashed in a crash) they were fine.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
The Bikeshed in Exeter found me a full carbon fork with mudguard clearance & eyelets for my fixed (back in 2015). I can't remember the make offhand.

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

20220902_174553.jpg

20220902_174545.jpg

Top Bottom