Impressive Litelok vs angle grinder test

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
This one just showed up on my random recommended section:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kkVIpYahR0

Very impressive and 'made in Britain' - at £150 worth more than my my entire bike collection back in the UK :laugh:

I know some of you guys ride way more valuable machines, so maybe more suitable.

I think with hi-fi stuff they recommend spending 10% on cabling, so applying the same rule to bike locks seems reasonable :okay:

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I think with hi-fi stuff they recommend spending 10% on cabling,

but isn't that because they make crazy margins on the cabling :laugh:

I always figured you should have a more impressive lock than the bike you lock it up next to....

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
I wonder if locks should have an inner fabric-type thing, like chainsaw trousers, that would bind up the blade? At the very least, it would probably cause more kick-backs, smoke, and possibly take the theif longer. Or something like a thick rubber inner. I had to cut through a motorcycle tyre once with an angle grinder and it was hellish. Loads of hot rubber binding up the blade, hot rubber being blasted onto my arm etc, and of course more smell being created which might act as further deterrant

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I wonder if locks should have an inner fabric-type thing, like chainsaw trousers, that would bind up the blade? At the very least, it would probably cause more kick-backs, smoke, and possibly take the theif longer. Or something like a thick rubber inner. I had to cut through a motorcycle tyre once with an angle grinder and it was hellish. Loads of hot rubber binding up the blade, hot rubber being blasted onto my arm etc, and of course more smell being created which might act as further deterrant

already been done. I think the chain under all the wadding stuff was unimpressive though and vulnerable to big bolt croppers (aren't they all).

Drago

Legendary Member
It’s buying you time and making your bike less attractive than others.
The lock never has to be perfect it just has to be less worse than the others.
But as demonstrated in the video if a motivated thief had plenty of time they could break the lock.

And it needed to be locked to something at least as tough as the lock else it's a pointless exercise. Typical bike stands and railings are easier than the locks in many cases.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I like the old adage that every bike weighs 40lbs. A 30lb bike needs a 10lb lock, but a 20lb bike merits a 20lb lock. A 40lb bike doesn't need a lock

a.twiddler

Veteran
£150 for 3 min 40 seconds of protection. Whatever you lock it to must be easier and quicker to cut, then in a van and away to attack the lock somewhere else at their leisure, if you have such a valuable bike that the thief wants to make the effort. The video was certainly a good advertisement for battery operated angle grinders.

I suppose a much cheaper lock would deter someone who just opportunistically wants to nick a bike to get home on. No doubt the subject has been done to death already.

If you have a nice bike do you own it or does it own you? If you are going to spend your ownership time never letting it out of your sight. constantly fretting whether someone will nick it if you turn your back for a second, keeping it somewhere out of sight and secure when you're not using it, it spoils the experience.

Or, riding something so horrible that a thief won't look at it twice but you won't enjoy either.

Or, maybe something like a Brompton which is highly nickable but you can keep it with you even if you are far from home on your own, even in public toilets.

Most of us work out a solution which is somewhere in the middle, but it's one of the worries which goes with bike ownership.

presta

Guru

The company my father worked for once had a contract to make some walls for safes (as in money safes). They consisted of a pressed steel tray filled with granules of carborundum or some such, and molten aluminium poured in to encapsulate it all. The general idea being that the granules wore away at the tool faster than it cut through them.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Got an X1, use it on my scoots as a disc lock, after there were repeated casings and at least one attempted theft of a bike at work last year. It's not '3 minutes of protection'. It's a lot more than that. Apart from the cutting time, it's the time to change blades, and probably batteries as well. Are thieves really going to have all that gear, and the inclination to do that? Even if no-one's around or they threaten anyone trying to intervene they're more likely to go for an easier target.

Top Bottom