Forks 853 vs 631 vs Reynolds R blades....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jameshow

Veteran

Too many spokes an rs10 front wheel with 16 spokes has got to be more flexy!

geocycle

Legendary Member
Maybe have a word with Spa. I’ve got a carbon fork (with aluminium steerer) on my audax. I feel it damps the high frequency buzz quite well although no difference on big potholes. Even with that, the 25mm Duranos were pretty harsh and the 28mm tubeless Schwalbe pro one made a big difference - but TL is another can of worms.

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Maybe have a word with Spa. I’ve got a carbon fork (with aluminium steerer) on my audax. I feel it damps the high frequency buzz quite well although no difference on big potholes. Even with that, the 25mm Duranos were pretty harsh and the 28mm tubeless Schwalbe pro one made a big difference - but TL is another can of worms.

Have sent them an email, will let you know.

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

Pringle???

It's not somewhere I want to go, but I have low spoke lightweight wheels and losing a spoke ruins a day/night out....
I built the bike to be durable and reliable....

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

Feedback from SPA:

A carbon fork will be lighter and more comfortable than a steel fork.
https://spacycles.co.uk/m21b0s29p2625/SPA-CYCLES-Carbon-Alloy-Audax-Road-Fork

I don't think there would be much difference between your current 853 fork and a Spa Steel Road fork.

If you can visit our shop you could actually ride to demo models fitted with a Carbon Alloy Audax forks, and thereby gauge how they actually compare to your current fork. It would help to ride your bike and a demo with carbon forks, to fully appreciate the difference.

What do you think?

Well it's a 600 mile round journey to Harrogate, so I might take their word for it and have a punt. I could do with a spare fork for another project anyhow....

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Too many spokes an rs10 front wheel with 16 spokes has got to be more flexy!
On the contrary, the rim has to be much more rigid to avoid flex, which would break spokes.
If a wheel deforms enough to make any noticeable difference to the ride, it's not fit for purpose.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Bigger and/or better tyres might make more difference.
Some of the lanes round Crediton are as rough as some of the worst ones that I encounter back in Yorkshire and Lancashire. I found that going up from 25C to 28C made a significant difference.

They have, looking for views.
Tyres are 28c (the max) running 70psi at the front.
I am running about the same pressure but I am 17+ kg lighter than you which might make it more comfy. (The tyre must have more 'give' remaining for me.)

The Devon bike can take bigger tyres. I think I will go up to 30C or even 32C (the size limit) when the current tyres wear out.

And double-wrapped bars.
My Yorkshire bikes already have double-wrapped bar tape and it definitely helps. I think I will add a second layer to the Devon bike next time I come down.

Speaking of which... I still hope to do a (slow!) scenic Devon metric century with you both next spring or summer? I will try to get fitter by then so I don't hold you up too much!

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

Some of the lanes round Crediton are as rough as some of the worst ones that I encounter back in Yorkshire and Lancashire. I found that going up from 25C to 28C made a significant difference.

I am running about the same pressure but I am 17+ kg lighter than you which might make it more comfy. (The tyre must have more 'give' remaining for me.)

The Devon bike can take bigger tyres. I think I will go up to 30C or even 32C (the size limit) when the current tyres wear out.

My Yorkshire bikes already have double-wrapped bar tape and it definitely helps. I think I will add a second layer to the Devon bike next time I come down.

Speaking of which... I still hope to do a (slow!) scenic Devon metric century with you both next spring or summer? I will try to get fitter by then so I don't hold you up too much!

Look forward to that - we have accomodation if you need it too - be lovely to meet :-)
32C won't quite squeeze-in without mudguards on the Rourke IIRC.

Top Bottom