Formatted Micro SD - can it be unformatted to use in another device?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
Much as the thread title, really - I was slightly too quick off the mark with a new piece of kit (tablet) and stuck a 128mb card in and formatted it.

The tablet has to go back, because faulty, can I wipe the card (nothing on there I need) so it can be used in another device?

Yes. Depending on how it was formatted it might be best to stick it into a pc, possibly via a card reader which are cheap as chips, and format in a standard way.

Hmmm (as always...)

Stuck it in an SD adaptor, and into the slot on my Mac desktop, which can't read it, it tells me :sad:
There’s different formatting. Chances are your tablet did it a way your Mac cant read, even a propriety way.

You’ll need to format it again using a pc or a Mac.

Read this.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Are you using Disk Utility on the Mac? If the card shows up there, it can be formatted however you like....

So it knows it's there, I guess, but I want to unformat it* so i can use it in a future device of my choosing, can I do that?

*Is that a thing?
No. Yuu need to format it. There’s different types of formatting it which different machines can then use.

You now want to format it in a standard way. You can do this on a Mac, I would imagine, but I don’t use them so don’t know. A pc can fir sure. PCs can format it in a couple of ways, most likely more universal than the Mac which tends to do things it’s own way.

OP
OP
Bonefish Blues

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
Are you using Disk Utility on the Mac? If the card shows up there, it can be formatted however you like....
It doesn't

Dunno. Could be a format your Mac can’t read or could be a damaged card.

Another tablet or a pc is what I’d try next.

Top Bottom