Formula 1

Discussion in 'CycleChat Cafe' started by Dec66, 30 Jun 2019.

1. otek59

otek59 Well-Known Member

I agree anyone who watched Steve Soper, John Cleland, Will Hoy etc knows what touring car racing is about

Paulus and Ffoeg like this.
  2. marinyork

marinyork Resting in suspended Animation

It's called the Monaco GP.

Illaveago and deptfordmarmoset like this.
  3. NorthernDave

NorthernDave Never used Über Member

^^^ This - my summer Sundays used to be arranged around the F1 races. Up early for the fly-away races, afternoons set aside for the European races, even going off to Silverstone for the British GP.
    Not any more.

MotoGP filled the gap for a good while, but now they vanished onto pay TV I'll survive without that as well.

4. Kempstonian

Kempstonian Has the memory of a goldfish

The MotoGP was exciting enough today, as were the supporting races. Next week we will see MotoE - electric bikes - and I won't miss that!

The problem with F1 now is that there are too many street circuits, too many tracks where overtaking is difficult, too many silly rules and too many races won by the pit crew rather than the drivers.

I didn't see the Grand Prix today but I hear it was not quite as boring as they have been lately. I do wonder about the rules though, after the incident between Leclerc and Verstappen. By all accounts (and a photo I saw) Verstappen overtook on the inside and then run wide, banging wheels with Leclerc, who had to leave the track. Last race we saw Vettel in an out of control car do a similar thing to Hamilton, without actually making contact and without Hamilton being forved off the track - yet the results of the two enquiries were different. Doesn't make sense to me.

Looking at the results, the MacLarens did well again, as did Vettel and Verstappen.

Illaveago, SpokeyDokey and classic33 like this.
  5. Slick

Slick Veteran

I always thought that sounded pretty boring until I visited Daytona on my first visit to Florida and visited the museum and took one of their bad boys round the oval track. Can't tell you how much I fell in love with all sorts of things about the South after that experience, amazing.

meta lon, SpokeyDokey and otek59 like this.
  6. bladderhead

bladderhead Well-Known Member

How about lawnmower racing?

NorthernDave likes this.
  7. Goggs

Goggs Veteran

Yesterdays race was the best in a good few years imo. What do I know?

8. Goggs

Goggs Veteran

The people who are bemoaning the glory days might want to try buying themselves a PS 4 Pro/XBox One X and GT Sport or Forza whatever. Be that hero!

otek59 and Slick like this.
  9. fossyant

fossyant Ride It Like You Stole It!

BTTC or GT3/GT4 racing. Loads of action

Goggs likes this.
  10. classic33

classic33 Legendary Member

"Vettel went off while leading in Montreal and bounced across the grass, then was deemed to have rejoined unsafely and forced Lewis Hamilton wide as the Mercedes driver tried to pass him."

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/144521/why-verstappen-escaped-punishment-like-vettel

Interesting to note there's been more this year though.

11. SpokeyDokey

SpokeyDokey 20% through Decade 7. Yikes! Moderator

What are these things you speak of? :smile:

Archie_tect and Goggs like this.
  12. glasgowcyclist

glasgowcyclist Charming but somewhat feckless

They were completely different incidents and I think the stewards got the Vettel/Hamilton one wrong and the Leclerc/Verstappen one correct.

Verstappen had the apex and the racing line so could dictate his path however he saw fit, it was for Leclerc to either battle within track limits or back out (which he would have done had there been gravel or a wall instead of a safe run-off). It was rotten to see him lose the lead so close to the end and after dominating the race from the start but that's racing. He'll win one soon, if Ferrari strategists don't screw it up for him.

classic33, dave r and Goggs like this.
  13. Goggs

Goggs Veteran

That's exacly how I see it too. Verstappen is Senna but Leclerc is Prost.

14. Bonefish Blues

Bonefish Blues Banging donk

The rule (amongst others) says it's an offence to crowd an opponent beyond track limits.

That's the rule. It's what happened, it wasn't applied.

Leave aside my own views on the rule itself (and I could frame a better one tbh), F1 has made a rod for its own back by inconsistent application.

Illaveago and Goggs like this.
  15. Goggs

Goggs Veteran

Nah, Leclerc knew the race was lost. There's was no way he could have maintained the lead for another two laps. He deliberately caused the incident. I don't particularly blame him. That's what's known in Sim Racing as a Rage Quit.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice