Formula 1

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
I think perhaps they should now have the qualifying laps on Saturday, and call that the result of the race. A bit like a time trial in cycling.

Then, the next day, just have a nice seventy-lap procession, with all the cars a set distance apart, finishing in the order they qualified the day before, drivers waving to the crowd.

Then, put the wreath on the drivers on the podium, have the ladies kiss them, play the national anthem, spray the champers, and go home.

It's called the Monaco GP.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Stopped watching years ago - used to love it.

^^^ This - my summer Sundays used to be arranged around the F1 races. Up early for the fly-away races, afternoons set aside for the European races, even going off to Silverstone for the British GP.
Not any more.

MotoGP filled the gap for a good while, but now they vanished onto pay TV I'll survive without that as well.

Kempstonian

Has the memory of a goldfish
The MotoGP was exciting enough today, as were the supporting races. Next week we will see MotoE - electric bikes - and I won't miss that!

The problem with F1 now is that there are too many street circuits, too many tracks where overtaking is difficult, too many silly rules and too many races won by the pit crew rather than the drivers.

I didn't see the Grand Prix today but I hear it was not quite as boring as they have been lately. I do wonder about the rules though, after the incident between Leclerc and Verstappen. By all accounts (and a photo I saw) Verstappen overtook on the inside and then run wide, banging wheels with Leclerc, who had to leave the track. Last race we saw Vettel in an out of control car do a similar thing to Hamilton, without actually making contact and without Hamilton being forved off the track - yet the results of the two enquiries were different. Doesn't make sense to me.

Looking at the results, the MacLarens did well again, as did Vettel and Verstappen.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
BTTC or GT3/GT4 racing. Loads of action

classic33

Leg End Member
The MotoGP was exciting enough today, as were the supporting races. Next week we will see MotoE - electric bikes - and I won't miss that!

The problem with F1 now is that there are too many street circuits, too many tracks where overtaking is difficult, too many silly rules and too many races won by the pit crew rather than the drivers.

I didn't see the Grand Prix today but I hear it was not quite as boring as they have been lately. I do wonder about the rules though, after the incident between Leclerc and Verstappen. By all accounts (and a photo I saw) Verstappen overtook on the inside and then run wide, banging wheels with Leclerc, who had to leave the track. Last race we saw Vettel in an out of control car do a similar thing to Hamilton, without actually making contact and without Hamilton being forved off the track - yet the results of the two enquiries were different. Doesn't make sense to me.

Looking at the results, the MacLarens did well again, as did Vettel and Verstappen.
"Vettel went off while leading in Montreal and bounced across the grass, then was deemed to have rejoined unsafely and forced Lewis Hamilton wide as the Mercedes driver tried to pass him."

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/144521/why-verstappen-escaped-punishment-like-vettel

Interesting to note there's been more this year though.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
By all accounts (and a photo I saw) Verstappen overtook on the inside and then run wide, banging wheels with Leclerc, who had to leave the track. Last race we saw Vettel in an out of control car do a similar thing to Hamilton, without actually making contact and without Hamilton being forved off the track - yet the results of the two enquiries were different. Doesn't make sense to me.

They were completely different incidents and I think the stewards got the Vettel/Hamilton one wrong and the Leclerc/Verstappen one correct.

Verstappen had the apex and the racing line so could dictate his path however he saw fit, it was for Leclerc to either battle within track limits or back out (which he would have done had there been gravel or a wall instead of a safe run-off). It was rotten to see him lose the lead so close to the end and after dominating the race from the start but that's racing. He'll win one soon, if Ferrari strategists don't screw it up for him.

Goggs

Guru
They were completely different incidents and I think the stewards got the Vettel/Hamilton one wrong and the Leclerc/Verstappen one correct.

Verstappen had the apex and the racing line so could dictate his path however he saw fit, it was for Leclerc to either battle within track limits or back out (which he would have done had there been gravel or a wall instead of a safe run-off). It was rotten to see him lose the lead so close to the end and after dominating the race from the start but that's racing. He'll win one soon, if Ferrari strategists don't screw it up for him.

That's exacly how I see it too. Verstappen is Senna but Leclerc is Prost.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
The rule (amongst others) says it's an offence to crowd an opponent beyond track limits.

That's the rule. It's what happened, it wasn't applied.

Leave aside my own views on the rule itself (and I could frame a better one tbh), F1 has made a rod for its own back by inconsistent application.

Goggs

Guru
Nah, Leclerc knew the race was lost. There's was no way he could have maintained the lead for another two laps. He deliberately caused the incident. I don't particularly blame him. That's what's known in Sim Racing as a Rage Quit.

Top Bottom