Fort William and Oban rail service.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
For anyone planning to travel by train on to line to Fort William and Oban be aware of massive disruption to services and check in advance. There is a replacement bus service in bits but no idea what cycle carriage would be like. The rail lines have been washed away by flash floods and will take some time to rebuild.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Yep, the line is closed for seven days from 5 August.

According to the article below, finding a bus replacement service is proving difficult because of the high demand in the holiday season.

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/f...n-closes-rail-line-for-seven-days-and-nights/

Slick

Guru
For anyone planning to travel by train on to line to Fort William and Oban be aware of massive disruption to services and check in advance. There is a replacement bus service in bits but no idea what cycle carriage would be like. The rail lines have been washed away by flash floods and will take some time to rebuild.
I was challenged immediately when I entered Queen Street station by an employee wanting to know if I was going to Oban. He explained that 30 odd cyclists were turned away the previous day from travelling on the train due to lack of space. They don't allow booking either, which is a complete pain.

Top Bottom