Fort William to Oban

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Well whichever way he's gone, he'll be on his way now.
True, but other people will probably read the thread in the future before heading out that way ...

The cycle path is good between Barcaldine and Connel** but there is a lovely (more strenuous) alternative - take the B845 up Gleann Salach, turn right at Inveresragan and follow the northern shore of Loch Etive round to Connel. Notes from my last holiday up there.

carrie-riding-gleann-salach-jpg.jpg

colinj-above-loch-etive-jpg.jpg

(Blimey - I was thin in that photo - the gilet is hanging off me and it isn't huge!)

carrie-at-loch-etive-jpg.jpg

connel-bridge-from-north-connel-jpg.jpg

Steam trains were still running over Connel Bridge when I holidayed in the area as a child.

** Until recently there was a gap between Benderloch and Connel which dumped cyclists back onto the busy A828 but according to my cousin the owner of the caravan site at North Ledaig gave way to local pressure and now allows the path to cross his site. It is now possible for young children from Connel to cycle all the way to school in Benderloch without going on the road. And any other cyclists too, of course ...

Last edited:

ColinJ

Other cyclists to/from Benderloch - not the school itself. Unless they are teachers there or parents of the pupils... You know what I meant! :laugh:

OP
OP
Yellow Fang

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
After a great deal of deliberation we decided to get up early and blast it. There was not an awful lot of traffic, but you still get some big lorries. From Corran the rest of NCN 78 was very civilised and well thought out. I reckon we probably would the ferry even if we'd got the ferries to the other side of Loch Linnhe but it might have been different if we were fighting a headwind or had some mechanicals.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
ColinJ I take it you cycled from Barcaldine. From Loch Etive side it is a pig of a hill. Shorter but tough. My grandkids cycled to Benderloch school before the cycle path was upgraded. I like your pics. I usually stop for a seat on the wall just beyond where the car is at the end of the straight. I am trying to pluck up the courage to take my recumbent trike up that road but the gravel trucks put me off. They are usually considerate with a bike but a wider 3 wheeler may be different if you meet one round a blind bend with nowhere to go.

ColinJ

ColinJ I take it you cycled from Barcaldine. From Loch Etive side it is a pig of a hill. Shorter but tough. My grandkids cycled to Benderloch school before the cycle path was upgraded. I like your pics. I usually stop for a seat on the wall just beyond where the car is at the end of the straight. I am trying to pluck up the courage to take my recumbent trike up that road but the gravel trucks put me off. They are usually considerate with a bike but a wider 3 wheeler may be different if you meet one round a blind bend with nowhere to go.
Yes, on that holiday we did ride it from Barcaldine. I have done it in the opposite direction on previous holidays though. Yes - it was pretty tough!

Top Bottom