Fort William to Oban

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Yellow Fang

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
I am pretty sure that there is NOT a direct ferry. There isn't a direct rail route either so you would have to change at Crianlarich. The rail journey takes nearly 4 hours and first train is about the same time as the first ferry!

I reckon your plan is the best one - hit the main road as early as possible to avoid traffic and give you maximum cycling time, and use the cyclepaths after the first 10 miles.

Yes, I think you're right. I thought I'd discovered a direct ferry last night, but I hadn't.

OP
OP
Yellow Fang

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
Are you fixed on Fort William? You could get the train to Dalmally or Loch Awe and cycle from there to Oban.

We're booked up in the Fort William youth hostel tomorrow night, not that it's a lot of money.

Last time I cycled that stretch the other way in 2005, I don't recall the traffic being bad, but I am pretty sure it was a Sunday. I noted the traffic on the A82 out of Glasgow had been bad the day before. I also recall seeing the old chap I'd met the evening before at Glencoe youth hostel trudging along the side of the road to Fort William, so is there some sort of footpath? I don't see any on the satellite maps.

OP
OP
Yellow Fang

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
Don't think so, there never used to be and if there is now it might be one of these community ferries, so not big but I just can't see why there would be a need for it.

I used to live up that way and the A82 from Fort Bill varies a lot in it's unpleasantness by time of year and day. It is rideable even if it's not enjoyable and it quite possibly won't be at Easter. Once you get past Corpach the road widens. The A828 is not bad but I think there's a decent cycle path alongside much of it now anyway.

Sounds like you've got it planned but a far more pleasant way to get to Oban, if a lot tougher a ride, is to go the other side of Loch Linnhe up to Strontian onto Salen and down to Kilchoan. Take the ferry to Mull and then ride 20 miles down to Craignure and take the ferry to Oban but that probably doesn't fit with your plans.

You're gonna have to be going some and not hanging about to get there in 4 hours.

That might work. 52 miles from Fort William to Kichoan. I wonder if you can you get a ferry from Kilchoan to Castlebay in Barra.

That might work. 52 miles from Fort William to Kichoan. I wonder if you can you get a ferry from Kilchoan to Castlebay in Barra.
The other option is Lochaline, I'd look at the ferry times. Do take note that it is a much tougher ride. Not much flat road after Strontian. Big old climb for the lochaline ferry and for Kilchoan a constantly varying gradient all the way from Strontian with a climb at the end. I doubt you'd make either ferry in your 4hr schedule, you'd need to change it.

Last edited:
Unfortunately no, The Barra ferry is an express route through the sound of Mull. The other two services to Castlebay are from Lochboisdale on South Uist and Tiree.

Regarding your youth hostel acquaintance, no, there's no footpath. I can't explain why anyone would walk from Glencoe to Fort William via the A82.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
I also recall seeing the old chap I'd met the evening before at Glencoe youth hostel trudging along the side of the road to Fort William, so is there some sort of footpath? I don't see any on the satellite maps.

From just south of the Corran Ferry, through Onich and onwards to North Ballachulish, there's a recently added cycle path. Not great as it is a shared use pavement which in some parts is barely wide enough for a single pedestrian and, as usual, it gives way at every driveway, entrance and side road.

It's just another box ticked for the council but may give some welcome respite after the road now that we're into caravan and crazy motorbiking season.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Regarding your youth hostel acquaintance, no, there's no footpath

Not all the way but there is a footpath alongside the A82 between Glencoe Village and the Corran Ferry. At that point I'd rather get the ferry to the other side of Loch Linnhe and come back on the pedestrian ferry to FW further north, than risk it on the twisty, double-white lined trunk road with the logging lorries and tourists.

Not all the way but there is a footpath alongside the A82 between Glencoe Village and the Corran Ferry. At that point I'd rather get the ferry to the other side of Loch Linnhe and come back on the pedestrian ferry to FW further north, than risk it on the twisty, double-white lined trunk road with the logging lorries and tourists.
Same, I detested that stretch both times I rode it (once in each direction) and going forward would go via Corran/Camusnagaul every time.

If you must get the one o'clock ferry to Barra I can't see point in looking at routes that involve even more ferries (which can be inherently unreliable).
Much better to start at silly o'clock in the morning and stick to an all road route or part road, part train route even if it isn't the most ideal or scenic option.
This really is the kind of detail that needs to be considered at the planning stage.
PS The Barra ferry leaves at 1.30pm.

Last edited:

oldwheels

Legendary Member
If you start very early the A82 should be not too bad unless there is a closure due to an RTC which is not infrequent on this section. As Glasgow Cyclist says there is a shared use path of sorts from about Corran to Ballachulish where you can pick up the cycle path which takes you to Connel Bridge which is single track traffic light controlled. There are some sections of path which tend to wander a bit but not too far mostly. From there you have the A85 to Oban which is pretty horrendous. There is a path which takes you from Dunbeg to near Oban which might be worth trying if traffic is really bad or road is closed again by RTC. Do not believe anyone who says it should not be too busy. Locally what they call “the season of madness” has definitely arrived.

rualexander

Legendary Member
Unfortunately no, The Barra ferry is an express route through the sound of Mull. The other two services to Castlebay are from Lochboisdale on South Uist and Tiree.

There is no ferry route from Lochboisdale to Castlebay these days.
And the Oban/Barra boat only calls at Tiree on wednesdays.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I should have added that there is a better route Connel to Oban by using the back road which is a bit hilly but single track and quieter. Follow the cycle route and turn right where there used to be a wildlife park. I never cycle into Oban from this direction so forgot this bit.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I should have added that there is a better route Connel to Oban by using the back road which is a bit hilly but single track and quieter. Follow the cycle route and turn right where there used to be a wildlife park. I never cycle into Oban from this direction so forgot this bit.
Yes, much nicer, but a bit slower if worried about the 4 hour deadline?

I went on the main road early in the morning to catch the ferry to Mull for my forum ride a few years back. It wasn't too bad at that time in the morning but it was obvious that it would be busy when I was riding back so I went up the hill and took the quieter road instead.

Top Bottom