CC Ecosse advice ,please..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sotkayak

Veteran
Hopefully will be cycling in the Oban area next week . Just some general and specific advice needed.

1. Are cyclist allowed on any footpath in Scotland ? The path around the isle of Kerrera seems to be recognised as such ,but does it apply generally eg on Lismore etc

2.Specific ..There is a road ,which turns into a track ..which turns into a footpath from Pulpit Hill,Oban to Gallanach ferry to Kerrera.. Looks like a very scenic route-but is it legal all the way ,or would we have to ''push'' the bikes the last bit. Hopefully the map link works

http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=15/56.4022/-5.4985

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
@ColinJ was cycling in the area a few weeks ago so maybe able to help.

So was I, but only on Arran.

Edit: Seems I was on Mull (see @ColinJ's post below).
Arran sounds nice, though - if I could manage to find it.

Last edited:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Oops, I meant to reply to this at the start of the week!

@ColinJ was cycling in the area a few weeks ago so maybe able to help.

So was I, but only on Arran.
Did you nip over to Arran after we finished on Mull ...? :whistle:

Some of my thoughts about the area ...
  • Kerrera: I nipped over with my family for a walk on the island. We had never been there before, despite our late mum coming from the area and us having spent many holidays there. The island was more interesting than I'd expected but we didn't have much time to explore because the ferry operators take a fairly long lunch break and we couldn't wait for them to finish that so we had come back before lunch. The ferry only takes about 10 or 11 people at a time, but they seemed willing to come back over to pick up anyone who couldn't get on. There is a noticeboard across the road by the car parking area and you can summon the ferry by sliding a board across as indicated. (They can see it from the island.) That car park is potentially lethal ... If a driver misjudges, there is nothing to stop their car going straight over the edge into the sea! Say hello to the ferry dog, Archie! (A big, hairy thing - an Irish Wolfhound, perhaps?)
  • Eventually, there will be a cycle path all the way from Oban to Fort William but it isn't yet complete. The section between Benderloch and Portnacroish** IS though, and is excellent. On that section of path, you pass the Sea Life centre, which is worth a visit. A quiet road from the cycle path further on takes you round to Port Appin for the ferry to Lismore, another island that I have not yet visited. I saw families with bikes coming back over on the ferry. The parents said that they had enjoyed riding on the island. The sea food restaurant at Appin might be of interest? You can carry on round on the road and get back to the cycle path when you return to the A828.
  • The Barcaldine forest trails from Sutherlands Grove are fun to explore. You can actually get all the way over the hill to drop down into Benderloch so you could do a loop from Benderloch to Barcaldine on the cycle path and return on the trails, or do it the other way round.
  • Most traffic takes the bridge at Creagan so the road loop round the end of Loch Creran was almost car-free when I rode round it. I didn't take the road up Glen Creran but that might be worth a look, and there appear to be forest trails at the end of it.
  • The road up Gleann Salach from Barcaldine and over to Loch Etive is a delight. You can carry on round to Connel and over the bridge back towards Oban, or turn back towards Benderloch. Unfortunately there is about a 1 mile gap in the cycle path near Ledaig so you have to do about 1 mile in the traffic on the A828, but it wasn't too bad when I was there. It would be a lot busier in the summer.
  • The singletrack roads on the hills above Oban are great. From Barranrioch - north to Connel, south to Kilmore and Musdale, and (especially nice) east down Glen Lonan to Taynuilt. I saw lots of Highland cows in that Glen, curiously the only place I DID see them on that holiday.
  • I did a big loop that took in Glen Lonan, but that involved a long stretch on the A816 south of Oban. TBH, the traffic levels were not that bad when I rode down there, and the road has recently been resurfaced so it was a joy to ride on. If you want to stay off main roads though and you will have a car to carry the bikes, I would suggest driving down to the village of Kilmelford and starting from there. The steep singletrack road east out of the village was the way that I went. The road surface is rough in places, but no worse than some of the Yorkshire lanes that I use. Ride up and down past Loch Avich and over Kilchrenan at Loch Awe. I think there is a pub and a hotel there if you wanted refreshments, but I didn't stop. You'd have to check. Turn round and go back the way you came out.
  • The SW and W of Mull was really nice. We did a loop round the bottom of the island. The east side is a bit busier.
Have fun!

** Castle Stalker nearby, of Month Python and the Holy Grail fame.

@Yellow Saddle may know the answer to this and be able to give extra local knowledge.
1) Yes, you may roam anywhere in Scotland, even on a bicycle. If for some reason they want you to dismount, they'll tell you with signage. Exceptions abound, but usually have to do with pregnant sheep, rutting stags, lambs or tossing cabers.
2) I'm not sure exactly which track the @sotkayak talks about, but I'm pretty sure the bike will not be prevented from passing through.

@ColinJ did a nice summary.

Take time to ride over the Bridge over the Atlantic, a couple of miles south of Oban, on Seil Island. It is quite something.

OP
OP
S

sotkayak

Veteran
Thanks for all the replies.The Scotland Access laws should be followed down south ! Been to several of the islands ,but for hill walking and kayaking.Cycled once years ago into Scotland from Kielder ,past Dead Water Halt on the disused railway -saw a magnificent stag just acros the border ,which bounded into the spruce plantations .(I digress ! )

Only got 3 days in Oban ,so will try do the Kerrera southern circuit ,northern circuit of Kerrera with the seal colonies on the west ,and the Drumbeg route past Dunstaffernage to where Loch Etive joins the Firth of Lorn ,as well as explore the track behind Pulpit Hill to the Kerrera ferry.
Last time we were there , went up Carn Breugach -breathtaking views. Likewise from the Isle of Easedale........Too many places to list !

OP
OP
S

sotkayak

Veteran
Well, had a great ,sunny ,midge and cleg free trip .Only managed to do the southern loop of the isle of Kerrera ,a ride along the Lismore and Oban to Ganavan Sands -rather than all the way to Dunbeg/Dunstaffernage.. Also on Mull ,but a foreshore walk from Craignure towards Duart Castle rather than a ride.Checked out the Pulpit Hill road where it emerges at Gallanach ferry -looks do able on a hybrid bike. The Oban Dunollie -Ganavan sands -a mix of track(tarmac ) and public road.Great scenerery-doable with road bikes .

Top Bottom