VW UP Bike rack advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Gwylan

Gwylan

Veteran
With the front wheel off, can they not lie flat in the back with the seats folded down? (Perhaps you have front hub motors which complicate removing the wheel.) A vintage three speed roadster or even my enormous 24" Viscount Aerospace would sit comfortably in the back of my Peugeot 205 with the front wheel removed.

I haven't really tried in the back of the Yaris yet as the Brompton works fine for most of my riding

Unlikely. Especially with 2 of them.

Sallar55

Veteran
Depends, e-MTB's weigh the same as a small moon, no wonder folk need a motor to move the bloody things.

The answer to all this is that OP needs a Berlingo or a van. Not an UP. I think getting two bikes in/on an UP isn't happening.
A van can also be a rolling bike shed, like other say ( I don't know why I never thought of one earlier) today's vans have evolved from builders to lifestyle vans with a spec to match cars. No need for a boot or roof rack ( unless you sleep in them) and the bikes are inside out of sight.

OP
OP
Gwylan

Gwylan

Veteran
A van can also be a rolling bike shed, like other say ( I don't know why I never thought of one earlier) today's vans have evolved from builders to lifestyle vans with a spec to match cars. No need for a boot or roof rack ( unless you sleep in them) and the bikes are inside out of sight.

If I had a van it would morph into a mobile man cave and inevitably have sleeping and other rudimentary comfort facilities. Like a BB&B, bed, bog and beer cupboard.
My problem is that at some point we have already added a campervan to the domestic fleet. I couldn't keep a straight face whilst explaining my logic for adding a man van to the fleet. My lifetime partner may be naive but even she is not that gullible.

The final thing is that the UP is an unmarked GTi. It is a lot of fun.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
I think getting two bikes in/on an UP isn't happening.

My son took two MTBs (wheels off bikes, seats down in car) to Llandegla for a day in our Citigo, which IIRC is identical to an UP. Seemed fine, though the extra weight of ebikes would make it harder.

Top Bottom