VW UP Bike rack advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gwylan

Veteran
We have a 2022 VW UP.
We also have two ebikes, about 18kg each, without batteries.

Cycling from home or using the train for part of the journey is possible. But there are times when we are further afield and would like to have our bikes with us.

Anyone with experience of this car- bike combo to offer informed suggestions for suitable kit for the car?
Hopefully before I drop a grand on a towbar, just to put a bike rack onto it. Yes I'm realising what it really costs to own a VW.

For information the UP is identical to the Skoda Citigo and whatever the Seat version was

13 rider

Guru
With the weight I think you would be looking at tow bar fitting racks ,so the expense of a tow bar if not already fitted. Not sure I would want that weight hanging on the rear window and roof mounting is difficult as the Up is quite high for its size

Slick

Guru
Can only echo the sentiments of @13 rider as I have a Thule triple tow bar job as that covers the overall weight of 2 bikes with Mrs Slicks ebike.

Big T

Guru
I looked at this when we had an Up! You can have a tow bar fitted, though not for towing, and then fit a tow ball mounted bike rack. That’s really your only option. You can’t hang anything heavy on the tailgate and whilst you can fit a roof rack, you’d struggle to lift an 18 kg bike onto it. In the end, I used to manage by taking the front wheel off and putting the bike inside the car, which is surprisingly big enough inside.

OP
OP
Gwylan

Gwylan

Veteran
With the weight I think you would be looking at tow bar fitting racks ,so the expense of a tow bar if not already fitted. Not sure I would want that weight hanging on the rear window and roof mounting is difficult as the Up is quite high for its size

That's what I was afraid. I have to decide if I want to take my bike with me that much.
Or spend a lot of money.

Could buy a couple of folding bikes for that sort of money.

Sixmile

Veteran
It'd be worth considering a Seasucker rack for a few hundred pounds. I've been using ours for 7 or 8 years, just as long as you're not overly precious about your roof. Mine definitely bears the hallmarks of a lot of suction and the odd mark or two with loading and unloading over the years. I use my rack on both of ours cars interchangeably. I'm changing one car soon and of course, the rack will easily just become the roof rack for that motor too without need of new rails, electrics, tow bar etc plus it's off and in the boot in seconds and you don't end up with the irritating whistling and ugliness of empty semi-permanent racks

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Just check the car won't tip 'UP' with that weight on the back. ;) I think you possibly don't have the best car for moving heavy e-bikes.

OP
OP
Gwylan

Gwylan

Veteran
Just check the car won't tip 'UP' with that weight on the back. ;) I think you possibly don't have the best car for moving heavy e-bikes.

Just keep hoping that someone can come up with a solution.
Folding bikes look ever more likely solution

tyred

Legendary Member
With the front wheel off, can they not lie flat in the back with the seats folded down? (Perhaps you have front hub motors which complicate removing the wheel.) A vintage three speed roadster or even my enormous 24" Viscount Aerospace would sit comfortably in the back of my Peugeot 205 with the front wheel removed.

I haven't really tried in the back of the Yaris yet as the Brompton works fine for most of my riding

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
You've missed the bit about lifting e-bikes up there. Erm no - 18kg without battery.

I have a Seasucker for occasional use and it’s great, but agree that lifting 18kg over your head would be awkward for most people not called @Drago. You can (literally) stick the Seasucker on the back rather than the roof but it’ll likely obscure the number plate and possibly rear lights, which gets you into needing light boards and negates most of the convenience factor.

(Drago is actually 5’6” and built like a hungry whippet, but we like to maintain the illusion.)

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
Lifting an 18kg bike is not as hard as it sounds. I regularly lift our tandem (>20kg) onto the roof of our Ford Galaxy, which is much higher than an UP (we have a Citigo), even taking into account that I'm tall.

Using a small step can help.

I'm a complete wimp with the upper body strength of a string bean.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Lifting an 18kg bike is not as hard as it sounds. I regularly lift our tandem (>20kg) onto the roof of our Ford Galaxy, which is much higher than an UP (we have a Citigo), even taking into account that I'm tall.

Using a small step can help.

I'm a complete wimp with the upper body strength of a string bean.

Depends, e-MTB's weigh the same as a small moon, no wonder folk need a motor to move the bloody things.

The answer to all this is that OP needs a Berlingo or a van. Not an UP. I think getting two bikes in/on an UP isn't happening.

Dadam

Same weight as two packed suitcases? Up! kerb weight nearly a tonne with most of it at the other end (engine). I think it'll manage not to tip up but the issue is the rack.

Top Bottom