Erith (Thames path) to Gravesend, route advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

robjh

Legendary Member
Planning a small-group ride along the Thames tomorrow (23rd March), but after Erith there is no obvious route along to Dartford and Gravesend that both avoids the worst of the traffic and doesn't go right round the houses. I'm using Ridewithgps, and all routes I can find involve some large roads, hopefully with cycle paths of some kind, or a lot of winding around suburban backstreets.

Does anyone have any suggestions for this stretch?

My current route is here - feel free to scrutinize and suggest improvements.

Part of the reason for the ride tomorrow is to use the Gravesend-Tilbury ferry before it stops running after the 30th.

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
Route 1 is rubbish in places but does what you want eventually.

Slick

Guru
Planning a small-group ride along the Thames tomorrow (23rd March), but after Erith there is no obvious route along to Dartford and Gravesend that both avoids the worst of the traffic and doesn't go right round the houses. I'm using Ridewithgps, and all routes I can find involve some large roads, hopefully with cycle paths of some kind, or a lot of winding around suburban backstreets.

Does anyone have any suggestions for this stretch?

My current route is here - feel free to scrutinize and suggest improvements.

Part of the reason for the ride tomorrow is to use the Gravesend-Tilbury ferry before it stops running after the 30th.

I drive that route quite a lot and definitely wouldn't cycle it. I think that was the first time I saw a ghost bike which probably put me off a bit. The rest of your route looks a cracking ride that I would love, but I just couldn't face that North End road. :eek:

OP
OP
robjh

robjh

Legendary Member
I drive that route quite a lot and definitely wouldn't cycle it. I think that was the first time I saw a ghost bike which probably put me off a bit. The rest of your route looks a cracking ride that I would love, but I just couldn't face that North End road. :eek:

I've changed it to follow NCN1 around Dartford, so I'm hoping that Sustrans have at least found a safe route

Slick

Guru
I've changed it to follow NCN1 around Dartford, so I'm hoping that Sustrans have at least found a safe route

Good luck.

Come back and let us know if they did, as I would love to be able to cycle to Erith from the hotels just the other side of the bridge but it is just to chaotic for a country boy like myself to contemplate. I know there is a bit of a bale out round Slade Green, but there's quite a risk to negate before you ge anywhere near there.

OP
OP
robjh

robjh

Legendary Member
Good luck.

Come back and let us know if they did, as I would love to be able to cycle to Erith from the hotels just the other side of the bridge but it is just to chaotic for a country boy like myself to contemplate. I know there is a bit of a bale out round Slade Green, but there's quite a risk to negate before you ge anywhere near there.

If I survive I'll report back

OP
OP
robjh

robjh

Legendary Member

I survived - we survived - the NCN1 section from Slade Green to Gravesend, but can't say we enjoyed it. It is too confusing, poorly signposted, and convoluted as it tiptoes around absurdly busy dual carriageways and intersections on a series of backstreets, or cycle paths of variable quality. Still, it was safe and had a few good bits, such as the path alongside the A296/A2 Watling Street. I honestly can't see any good routes on that stretch, but this did the necessary.

The whole ride though, from London to Shoeburyness with a tunnel and two ferry crossings of the Thames, was great, and the 6 of us had a fantastic day out, even with the worst surfaces that the riverside paths could throw at us. And I learnt that some of the approaches to Southend are really quite hilly, which had never struck me before.

Slick

Guru
I survived - we survived - the NCN1 section from Slade Green to Gravesend, but can't say we enjoyed it. It is too confusing, poorly signposted, and convoluted as it tiptoes around absurdly busy dual carriageways and intersections on a series of backstreets, or cycle paths of variable quality. Still, it was safe and had a few good bits, such as the path alongside the A296/A2 Watling Street. I honestly can't see any good routes on that stretch, but this did the necessary.

The whole ride though, from London to Shoeburyness with a tunnel and two ferry crossings of the Thames, was great, and the 6 of us had a fantastic day out, even with the worst surfaces that the riverside paths could throw at us. And I learnt that some of the approaches to Southend are really quite hilly, which had never struck me before.

Excellent, glad to hear it.

I knew it wouldn't be pretty around Dartford but the rest of your ride looked magic. Glad you all arrived safely and had a blast. :okay:

Top Bottom