Horses, Fear, Me ! Shared path problem

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Evening all.

Is it me? What am I doing wrong?

Twice at the end of last year I met horses with riders on shared paths. No problem with that, happy to share. However, it seems that I or my bike upset horses. Both times the horses did everything they could to avoid going past me, despite my trying very hard to give them a lot of room. I should add in both cases I stopped the bike and stood as far away as there was space for and spoke in friendly tones with the riders. The 2nd time I stood maybe 7 or 8 yards clear of the horse, but it still did not want to pass. I did my best to look reliable and calm, as we all know, we don't want to frighten the horses (well, that phrase had to be in here somewhere!).

At the 2nd event, when the rider finally got the horse past, she then tried to edge it up towards me to, I presume, reassure the horse that I / bike were harmless. The horse was not happy and she gave up and they went on their way, rather to my relief

I am very aware how dangerous a horse can be:
As a child I was chased, knocked down and bitten by a horse (since, I will never go in a field with a horse).
Some years back our local vet was off work for 9 months, shattered thigh from a horse kick. He and his partner were vets at a racecourse , so very experienced with horses.

I would like to use some localish lanes this year, but they are very narrow, 1 car wide with high banks, so no where to go to get well clear of the very occasional horse.

How do others deal with this?
What should I do to help both the worried horses and also myself?

Last edited:

figbat

Slippery scientist
I have a lot of horse time in my life. If I meet a horse the main thing I want to do is make sure the horse knows I am there and they know I am not a threat.

Don’t talk to the rider, talk to the horse. Let it know you’re a person. Gently hold out a hand. Speak softly but confidently. Turn off any flashing lights. Maybe even take off your helmet and sunglasses. Do what you can to appear ‘normal’ and unthreatening.

Slick

Guru
That seems a bit strange to me, as I meet horses quite regularly and I always just pull in to avoid any drama. The only thing I can think off, is some other cyclist hasn't been as considerate as you, so they don't trust you. I do remember one particular animal that just didn't like anyone wearing a helmet, so maybe try taking that off. Other than that, all you can do, is carry on the way you've been going and let the rider decide how they want to handle the situation.

If I meet a horse the main thing I want to do is make sure the horse knows I am there and they know I am not a threat.
+ I did my best to look 'normal'. I mostly get on well with animals as usually they don't usually find me threatening. It may well be despite my best attempts, the horse can sense I am wary. Its hard to change that as I am wary and also know they have a long reach!
Don’t talk to the rider, talk to the horse. Let it know you’re a person. Gently hold out a hand. Speak softly but confidently. Turn off any flashing lights. Maybe even take off your helmet and sunglasses. Do what you can to appear ‘normal’ and unthreatening.

Ah interesting. I thought the horse may feel better if it thought the rider and I on good terms. I will try making more vocal contact with the horse. I had no lights on at the time (daytime) but will keep this in mind. I had no helmet, but it did not occur to me the horses may object to clear glasses. I will try these things, thank you for suggesting them.

I think I would find it hard to hold out a hand, as I cannot get close enough to horses to make contact, unless there is a fence or wall between us. I am sad I am afraid of close contact with horses. I am fine to hold out a limp (therefore non aggressive) back of my hand to strange dogs which often leads to stroking them and I am OK with cats, pigs, goats etc though most of those are a lot smaller than a horse. Because I cannot read the body language of horses, I find them random and unpredictable which of course they are not, but seem so to me.

Do you think putting the bike to one side and standing away from it would help the horse judge the situation more positively?

Other than that, all you can do, is carry on the way you've been going and let the rider decide how they want to handle the situation.
I was surprised both horses were upset by me, as slightly different locations on different days. I met both of them separately on double wide shared paths and for the 2nd I retreated further away using a driveway. I had thought given where that path was (near a housing estate & school) that both horses would have seen bikes a lot. Its why I wonder if I have done something.

Both the horse riders were friendly, but clearly had problems with the horses not being keen as there were obvisouly some 'control issues' for the riders. All of us (the rider, horse, me) were doing our best. I could see the one that tried to walk her horse up to me was trying to improve issues long term but it was very un-nerving for me having a jumpy edgy horse come closer, I could read it enough to see it was worried/afraid.

I don't know what horses vision is like - do they dislike any particular colours? Both times there was no wind as I thought of stopping anything flapping around (waterproof, luggage etc), as I know that can upset animals, but I really can't think of what I must be doing wrong. When talking with the riders, neither of them suggested anything I could do to help.

Maybe the horses just dont trust me as despite my best efforts, maybe they can tell I am wary of getting kicked.

Last edited:
I think this is the best advice
Other than that, all you can do, is carry on the way you've been going and let the rider decide how they want to handle the situation.

@MidnightRider
You've highlighted two instances - were there others that were less dramatic? If so, try to pinpoint the differences.

Did you ask the riders? It strikes me that they are best placed to answer your questions. It may be that you were unlucky and encountered two skittish, young or horses in training.

Given your descriptions of location it strikes me that the riders were irresponsible in taking their horses to places where they were likely to meet people on bikes or the problem likely resides with you, specifically in your body language and possibly tone of voice - you clearly fear horses. It may not be what you do but how you do it. A slow glide to a stop is not the same as a sudden jamming on of brakes for instance. We may think we're speaking softly and clearly when in fact our voices are jarring and high pitched.

It may be worth bearing in mind that both instances happened late last year and that in the intervening time our minds are likely to have 'reviewed' and 'edited' the memories to better match our perspectives - in your case, fear. Every time we think of it, the situation becomes a little less true, a little more false. That's because we're human, not horses ^_^ The next meeting with a horse may not be so dramatic.

My suggestion would be to do nothing except take on the broad advice from here and the next time calmly slow down (or stop), engage with both horse and rider, discuss the situation with the rider. If necessary find out where they are from (private rider, riding school?) and if it's another adverse reaction from the horse follow it up at another time at the stables.

If you wanted to be more proactive, then tackle the fear of horses. Approach a riding school with a view to spending time around them, observing them, getting to them. That should help. In all kinds of ways.

At the end of the day, as long as you are acting responsibly your obligation to the horse and rider is satisfied.

We have a tremendous respect on these islands for horses, however, that isn't always the way in other parts. A bike on a shared path is nothing to what some horses calmly tolerate in other places.

Good luck!

johnnyb47

Guru
I got kicked in the groin by a horse when I was a kid.It knocked me off my feet and landed a few feet away in agony.Ever since that in very wary of them.
I come across a few horse riders whilst on the bike and what I do is to let the rider react towards me before I pass.I slow down and wait until the rider is aware of me.They then will either stop or just wave me on.
Just let them take control of the situation as they know there horses temperament/personality better than you.
I've also heard that bright cycling lights can spook horses too,so it might be worth considering just switching your lights off near one.
There lovely creatures but I never trust one after my bad experience

Drago

Legendary Member
Perhaps it's the whiff of Tesco value lasagne in your sweat that scares them?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I usually do exactly what you do. Stop and let them through if it's narrow, or alert the rider/horse I'm coming, and pass slowly with a wide berth. Unfortunately not much you can do with a skitty horse. Possibly an in-experienced rider too ?

As said before - try to look like a normal person
remember horses see the world very differently from us

It does remond me of a situation when I was on a canal path - I had stopped at a bench and was standing by it having a drink
The horses were in a field about 20 feet below me. A woman had come to get one of the horses and was trying to lead it out through a gate near the canal
He just would not go

eventually she called up to me and asked me tif I could take my hi-vis vest off
apparently the horse didn;t like them
I did so and the horse walked past me with no problems

you have to remember that horses are coded to look for anything that MIGHT be a threat and can come to strange conclusions
The best way to find out what is making it scared is to ask the rider

other than that just try to look normal

figbat

Slippery scientist
Because I cannot read the body language of horses, I find them random and unpredictable which of course they are not, but seem so to me.

Do you think putting the bike to one side and standing away from it would help the horse judge the situation more positively?
Horses communicate a lot by body language and other unspoken cues including scent. They are herd animals and gain safety through mutual protection. In that way, if one horse sees something of alarm then the whole herd can react to it. When they are away from their herd they have a far more limited view of the world, relying solely on what they can see, hear and smell themselves - this can put them on edge and make them appear jumpy or spooky. A horse that is uncertain of its situation might:
  • breathe heavily, seen as flared nostrils and snorting
  • raise their head and look towards the threat
  • Prick their ears and point them towards the threat
  • start getting restless - jogging on the spot or trying to turn away
  • some may lift their tail.
If the threat gets nearby and flight is not an option then fight takes over:
  • Ears will get pinned back
  • Eyes will show white around them
  • Nostrils will be flared
  • Close defence weapons may be deployed:
    • teeth
    • front hooves (usually accompanied by rearing, which can unseat the rider and be very dangerous to them)
    • rear hooves - these are the real heavy calibre weapons; take both barrels and you'll know about it (or maybe not, but your next of kin will).
Even after 40 years around horses I still pay great attention to their behaviours. Just this week I was walking across a field with horses in - they were very inquisitive and wound up and came thundering over to "play"; I always had my escape route in mind but stayed calm and confident and they calmed down.

I did think about suggesting stepping away from the bike - if there's room and the bike is not going to be in the way it might be worth a go. In the end though it's best to be guided by the rider - they ought to know what's best, although it's not a given. There are clueless riders just like there are clueless drivers and cyclists. Also, the mood and temper of the rider will transmit to the horse - if you have annoyed the rider, the horse can act as an extension of that.

I don't know what horses vision is like - do they dislike any particular colours? Both times there was no wind as I thought of stopping anything flapping around (waterproof, luggage etc), as I know that can upset animals, but I really can't think of what I must be doing wrong. When talking with the riders, neither of them suggested anything I could do to help.

Horses' vision has evolved to have a high resolution bit across the centre of the view, effectively where the horizon would be. They have a great all-round view but much of the view is monocular, especially to the sides and rear. Their colour palette is limited so bright colours apparently don't bother them, although high contrast patterns can. Rustling clothing can be an issue as could anything that alters your profile to appear inhuman.

If I see that a horse is wound up I'll stop, stand up and talk gently to the horse - let it know I am a person. Just something simple like "hello there, good boy" in a calming tone. I'll hold my hand towards them, not necessarily expecting to touch them but to make a non-threatening, familiar gesture and allow them to explore it if they want.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
Stopping and keeping still is all you need to do. If the horses don't want to pass you then it is up to the rider to overcome this. If it won't walk past then the rider should dismount and walk it past the obstacle (you). If it were me, I'd not be doing anything different. If you're scared of being kicked then perhaps get off the bike and stand by the hedge with your bike between you and the horse. but it really shouldn't have to come to that. I'm happy to share the road with any animal but the onus is on the rider to have full control of the horse and if it's scared of stuff like cyclists then they need to ensure they deal with it by either walking it past you or turning around.

I used to encounter lots of horses on country roads when I drove tractors. I'd pull in, switch any lights off and turn the engine off. If any couldn't then walk past then that's their problem! You can't dissappear

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Horses? Pah.

Just wait until you get a big horned bull, with his ladies in the background to protect.

Attachments

• IMG_2716.jpeg
    IMG_2716.jpeg
    182.3 KB · Views: 28
Top Bottom