Path Less Pedaled youtube channel

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

phil-b

Über Member
I have been enjoying the youtube channel called Path Less Pedaled

It consentraits on non competative cycling. The only thing I dont like about the chanel is the fact all the gear reviews are of mostly US products that are either not available in the UK or are very expensive here.

Can anyone reccomend any similar channels that are UK based

Alex321

Veteran
Having had a very quick look at that channel, the closest I know of in the UK would be either Francis Cade or David Arthur, but even they aren't all that close.

Boopop

Guru
He started popping up on my reccomendations recently. They're moving to Spain soon, it will be interesting to see how the channel changes as a result of that.

D

Deleted member 121159

I think his brand is quite unique in focusing on the non-competitive side (or the 'supple side'). I don't think there's anyone else with the same vibe. Also this 'party pace' niche and the products he reviews are quite specific to US cycling culture. There isn't a market for that type of products in the UK.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
‘Leonardmlee’ covers a broad spectrum of cycling themes and they’re all non competitive. He could be called a Mamil, though he’s a lifelong cyclist.

There’s also ‘Always Another Adventure’ which is more akin to Pathlesspedalled.

‘Tristanbogaard’ is Dutch by nationality but a global citizen by cycling. His videos are in English and he does some
Wonderful videos of his
tours in Europe and beyond.

OP
OP
phil-b

phil-b

Über Member
I think his brand is quite unique in focusing on the non-competitive side (or the 'supple side'). I don't think there's anyone else with the same vibe. Also this 'party pace' niche and the products he reviews are quite specific to US cycling culture. There isn't a market for that type of products in the UK.

why does it always have to be market driven. The thing is if top performance is not your priority a bike can last many years if not decades making it extreamly cheap and sustainable. I think leaisure/fittness riders probably out number sports riders but they spend far less money on it. The industry is not interested in thoes riders but that does not mean there is not plenty of them

OP
OP
phil-b

phil-b

Über Member
‘Leonardmlee’ covers a broad spectrum of cycling themes and they’re all non competitive. He could be called a Mamil, though he’s a lifelong cyclist.

checked out "Leonardmlee" I would not say he is a non competitive cyclist he is more of an uncompetitive cyclist but having said that I did enjoy the videos I watched so far

D

Deleted member 121159

why does it always have to be market driven. The thing is if top performance is not your priority a bike can last many years if not decades making it extreamly cheap and sustainable. I think leaisure/fittness riders probably out number sports riders but they spend far less money on it. The industry is not interested in thoes riders but that does not mean there is not plenty of them

What I mean is that Pathless's business model is the same as any other cycling Youtube channel. He gets paid to make videos about bike things so we go and buy them. He happens to review quirky things like 12 speed barend shifters and high-end mechanical disc brakes. I'm just saying there isn't a big market for that sort of thing. Also the stuff he reviews aren't cheap. Like Paul Klampers (mechanical disc brakes), they cost £500 a pair. The barend shifter costs £165. His channel is all about high-end vintage-looking components. Not really for the crowd you're describing (leisurely riders who just enjoy pootling around on cheap bikes).

OP
OP
phil-b

phil-b

Über Member
What I mean is that Pathless's business model is the same as any other cycling Youtube channel. He gets paid to make videos about bike things so we go and buy them. He happens to review quirky things like 12 speed barend shifters and high-end mechanical disc brakes. I'm just saying there isn't a big market for that sort of thing. Also the stuff he reviews aren't cheap. Like Paul Klampers (mechanical disc brakes), they cost £500 a pair. The barend shifter costs £165. His channel is all about high-end vintage-looking components. Not really for the crowd you're describing (leisurely riders who just enjoy pootling around on cheap bikes).
sorry i miss understood. I see what you mean now

Cathryn

Legendary Member
Party Pace is quite a big thing in British women-led gravel communities. Organisations such as the New Forest Off Road Club host rides at different paces…party pace is the most accessible! I’ve been to a couple of their rides and the welcome and inclusive nature of their events is incredible! Big fan of party pace!

Moodyman

Legendary Member
checked out "Leonardmlee" I would not say he is a non competitive cyclist he is more of an uncompetitive cyclist but having said that I did enjoy the videos I watched so far

Hard to believe from his appearance, but he used to race in an earlier life.

D

Deleted member 121159

Party Pace is quite a big thing in British women-led gravel communities. Organisations such as the New Forest Off Road Club host rides at different paces…party pace is the most accessible! I’ve been to a couple of their rides and the welcome and inclusive nature of their events is incredible! Big fan of party pace!

They look great. Would love to see more ability-, gender-, race-, class- etc. inclusive cycling groups. I'm a bit sad that I haven't yet come across something similar for men.

Last edited by a moderator:
I used to subscribe to path less pedaled but lost interest a while ago. Seems a really nice bloke but like others have said most of the products weren't relevant to me. I'm more interested in bikes with everyday low to mid-range components. I did enjoy some of his cycle journeys but wasn't interested in his reviews. I do get his videos recommended to me occasionally by Youtube and probably click thru about a third of the time. There isn't much marketing money for high volume, low margin bike products so you don't see a lot of them on youtube except for when Chinese companies send samples of their bike lights or other wares to channels to review. Halfords sell up to 40% of bikes sold in the UK but you don't see a huge amount of Halfords bikes on youtube except for very amateur reviews and Halfords own minimalist videos. I get the impression they will never send out demo bikes to reviewers because that would add to their costs and be reflected in their shop prices.

In contrast you get some Chinese brands that seem to send out a lot of free ebikes to reviewers but then when you look at their pricing you can often find similar or better spec'd bikes for significantly less from similar Chinese brands.

So I guess I don't want to see the type of products I buy professionally reviewed on youtube as that would mean increased prices.

Top Bottom