Advice for fitting a bike rack (hatchback car)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Errrrm

Regular
I have just acquired an old-style Halfords 3 bike rear mounted carrier for a hatchback ( I hope!)
I attach a picture. I think it's all there, but I'm not sure I've got the angles right, particularly the bottom metal section of the carrier. Should it be like this or set at a more acute angle?
I can appreciate why the company has now simplified the design, as this seems awkward to set up, to put it mildly.
Any advice would be appreciated as i've not used a bike carrier before. Thanks.

Attachments

• Bike rack.jpg
    Bike rack.jpg
    157.9 KB · Views: 37

Jameshow

Veteran
I fitted same rack to a friend's Fabia!
Looks right tbh.
I'd knot the tails together with a reef knot for extra security.

OP
OP
E

Errrrm

Regular
Thanks for the reassurance, Jameshow. I've changed the configuration since my last entry. Does it still look good to go?

Attachments

• Bike rack2.jpg
    Bike rack2.jpg
    195.4 KB · Views: 23
  • Bike rack3.jpg
    Bike rack3.jpg
    179.9 KB · Views: 23

Drago

Legendary Member
Coppers know summer brings two things - old folk keeling over in the heat, and bicycles-carried-on-car failures.

I wouldn't even consider using it. Most coppers have been to jobs where the rear window breaks and bikes get unceremoniously dumped in the road. At best it's a new window, at worst it's a lot of damage to following cars. Been to more than I can remember.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
It's a long while since I've used one of those sort of racks, but in the first pic the lower part sits on the bumper which is correct while on the second set you've got it sat too high (against the lower part of the boot lid). Also I'd have wanted the other bar sat against the boot just below the window glass & wiper, rather than against the glass itself. It doesn't half sit the bikes and their weight quite high up.

OP
OP
E

Errrrm

Regular
Thanks to you all for you advice.
However, anyone reading through this thread will understand why I've ended up rather more confused than when I started out!
I was dubious about bracing the rack against the rear windscreen, but it's what Halfords still recommend on their You Tube videos, with the caution to avoid using the centre of the screen. They also say to avoid putting the rack against any plastic panels. My Fabia has a plastic bumper, so that's why it's braced against the (metal) boot.
I'm inclined to give it a short try, and will report back with either smiles or tears.

Top Bottom