Forth road bridge to Culross

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

joemaxi

Hope some of you local guys can help with a route question!

After the success of my Loch Katrine trip,I thought I would try a slightly longer trip over the Forth and Kincardine bridges. From Grangemouth,through Boness,newton and over the Forth Bridge,through Culross then back over the Kincardine bridge to Grangemouth-about 40 miles.

My question is-after I cross the Forth bridge, which is the best way to Culross?I think there may be a cycletrack but I'm not too sure.it would be handy if there was as it would save me riding on main roads as I have to do that between Boness and the Forth Bridge as I don't think there are any other cycleroutes.unless you know better.....

Thanks in advance guys!

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
go off towards rosyth straight after the bridge (easier if you are on the side without the magnificent rail bridge adjacent). the road is not usually too busy and then you follow the coastal road to and through culross.

someone who rides this route regularly (as opposed to someone who's ridden it once) may be along with a more detailed solution…

Halfmanhalfbike

Über Member
joemaxi said:
Hope some of you local guys can help with a route question!

After the success of my Loch Katrine trip,I thought I would try a slightly longer trip over the Forth and Kincardine bridges. From Grangemouth,through Boness,newton and over the Forth Bridge,through Culross then back over the Kincardine bridge to Grangemouth-about 40 miles.

My question is-after I cross the Forth bridge, which is the best way to Culross?I think there may be a cycletrack but I'm not too sure.it would be handy if there was as it would save me riding on main roads as I have to do that between Boness and the Forth Bridge as I don't think there are any other cycleroutes.unless you know better.....

Thanks in advance guys!

Done round the bridges a few times. My ususal route is NCN 76 through Rosyth then up on on to the A985. Along it until it meets B9037 then down along coast to Culross. Although the A985 is a main road it's fine for cycling

Hope this helps

sleekitcollie

i,ve done this a few times , great route , i normally go the other way , leave winchburgh , boness grangemouth and head for skinflats , but when u cross the river just outside grangemouth turn right follow the small road on the right that takes u ( if u follow the cycle route signs ) to the kincardine brig . cross the brig on the east side turn right and right again STILL ON CYCLE /FOOT path that takes u to longannet power station where u turn left and onto a great new cycle path into culross . then u need to go on to the road and follow to toryburn . under railway brig and turn right that take u on to a wee path that runs right along side water . go as far as u can on this path and u got to turn left at the end ( big white house ) follow that up to the main rosyth to kincardine road , turn right then when u reach the wee vilage follow the cycle route signs this runs u right alongside main road , till u see road on the right for charlstown . turn right and shatp right follow around sharp left bend . right into charlstown and limekilns . after lime kilns u can either follow cycle path ( get a wee bit ruff for 300 yards or u can take main road up to the rosyth / kincardine road again , turn right then right again into towatds navel base / docks 50 yds turn left and follow to rosyth , ( when u come into rosyth take the 2nd right at roundabout that runs u to forth brig aproach road , . over forth brig . then u can work ur way back varoius ways .
hope this helps , winchburgh loop is around 40 -45 miles .

OP
OP
joemaxi

joemaxi

Fantastic!

Thats going to be my next big-ish run!

It definetly beats sitting in a Scanny all day!!:smile:

OP
OP
joemaxi

joemaxi

Might be interested...........

I don't know if my sirrus would look a wee bit out of place with all the other riders drop bars!:wacko:

Never ridden in a group before,it might be an interesting experience........:biggrin:

Top Bottom