Forum ride: 100 km loop from Crediton via Otterton, Exmouth, and Exeter. [DATE CHANGE] Saturday, Aug 19th, 2023

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Wednesday's ride was cut short at Taunton due to what I thought was a sciatica-like back issue causing some severe leg pain.
Ouch - I've had that and it was NOT nice!

So - hoping for a quick recovery for next weekend :-/
Yes - GWS!

Maybe you had just misaligned the cleat, but in that case why wouldn't you have noticed earlier?

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Ouch - I've had that and it was NOT nice!

Yes - GWS!

Maybe you had just misaligned the cleat, but in that case why wouldn't you have noticed earlier?

I guess it's not impossible it moved a bit. Will recheck.

Fab Foodie

Leg update - still schitt.
Very painful upper thigh muscle and knee. Some calf pain and numbness.
Back not so bad.
Spasms stopped.
Osteopaths manipulation on Friday helped a bit - can at least walk, but sitting is painful, walking painful and lying down painful. Lots of painkillers and diazapam help, but not much.
Pi55ed off....

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Pi55ed off....
I'm not surprised; it isn't sounding good for Saturday. You may make a reasonable recovery by then but, even with the flattish route, would that be 100 km worth of recovery...?

I'll still do the ride even if you can't make it, but it would be nice if you could. I will be coming down again in mid-August and will organise something then. Maybe this route, or maybe something more challenging.

I went out today and recced the first part of the route to check for flooding. There were several places that had clearly been under water recently but nearly all of it had gone. There was quite a lot of mud and gravel in places but this was the only iffy bit that I encountered...

Devon puddles.jpg

That is at Nether Exe. There was a pronounced camber to the road so the centre section was almost clear. The water there was only a couple of cms deep for a metre or two.

The section of the route by the Clum was fine. Some gravel and dried mud on the road, a few small puddles; that was all.

I turned down the lanes from Stoke Canon and headed back towards Thorverton via Nether Exe. This time though I was not paying attention when I came back along that mucky lane - I had things on my mind. I was cycling towards the camera on the RHS of the road as we are looking at it. Suddenly, BANG - PSSSSST!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I had hit a big, sharp-edged pothole hidden in the water. The tyre was flat before I even cleared the puddle!

Snakebite puncture in puddle pothole.jpg

Oh, deep joy! :cursing:

The one consolation was that Zaffira Pro tyres are an incredibly easy fit on Mavic Aksium rims... I squeezed the tyre all round, then gripped the tyre between my right thumb and forefinger and simply peeled it away from the rim!

Did I mention how deep that water was? This is what the tyre and tube looked like once I had removed them, and this was 30 metres beyond the waterlogged section of road! :laugh:

Waterlogged after puncture.jpg

I poured that out, then whirled the tyre around in the air like a helicopter rotor blade to cause 90+% of the muddy water to fly off. I wiped the tyre inside and out with a handful of dock leaves to make sure that no grit had got trapped before I put a new tube in***.

Thanks to the easy removal and replacement of the tyre it was turning out to be a very quick repair. Then something completely unexpected, and almost unheard of happened... It was a quiet, narrow lane, and I was taking up some of it while doing my repair. I heard a car coming and looked up... Yes - I needed to move everything out of the way to let it by. I shunted my stuff onto the verge and breathed in while the car squeezed by. It headed towards the puddles, then stopped and went into reverse. It came to rest just in front of me and the young driver wound his window down and asked if I was ok? Did I need help? I thanked him and said that I was nearly finished, but thanks anyway. He said that he would give me a lift if I needed it. I slotted the wheel back in, thanked him again, and showed him that the bike was now roadworthy.

I am not used to motorists doing that kind of thing... Friendly folk in Devon! :smile:

I am going to sacrifice a bit of comfort and put an extra 0.5 bar of pressure in front and back to reduce the risk of another snakebite on rough lanes.

*** I just set an alarm on my phone to remind me to repair the old tube tomorrow, or put a new spare in my backpack if the old tube is too badly damaged. (I didn't look at it when I removed it from the wheel - I was in a hurry to get going again.)

Fab Foodie

I'm not surprised; it isn't sounding good for Saturday. You may make a reasonable recovery by then but, even with the flattish route, would that be 100 km worth of recovery...?

I'll still do the ride even if you can't make it, but it would be nice if you could. I will be coming down again in mid-August and will organise something then. Maybe this route, or maybe something more challenging.

I went out today and recced the first part of the route to check for flooding. There were several places that had clearly been under water recently but nearly all of it had gone. There was quite a lot of mud and gravel in places but this was the only iffy bit that I encountered...

View attachment 690000

That is at Nether Exe. There was a pronounced camber to the road so the centre section was almost clear. The water there was only a couple of cms deep for a metre or two.

The section of the route by the Clum was fine. Some gravel and dried mud on the road, a few small puddles; that was all.

I turned down the lanes from Stoke Canon and headed back towards Thorverton via Nether Exe. This time though I was not paying attention when I came back along that mucky lane - I had things on my mind. I was cycling towards the camera on the RHS of the road as we are looking at it. Suddenly, BANG - PSSSSST!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I had hit a big, sharp-edged pothole hidden in the water. The tyre was flat before I even cleared the puddle!

View attachment 689999

Oh, deep joy! :cursing:

The one consolation was that Zaffira Pro tyres are an incredibly easy fit on Mavic Aksium rims... I squeezed the tyre all round, then gripped the tyre between my right thumb and forefinger and simply peeled it away from the rim!

Did I mention how deep that water was? This is what the tyre and tube looked like once I had removed them, and this was 30 metres beyond the waterlogged section of road! :laugh:

View attachment 689998

I poured that out, then whirled the tyre around in the air like a helicopter rotor blade to cause 90+% of the muddy water to fly off. I wiped the tyre inside and out with a handful of dock leaves to make sure that no grit had got trapped before I put a new tube in***.

Thanks to the easy removal and replacement of the tyre it was turning out to be a very quick repair. Then something completely unexpected, and almost unheard of happened... It was a quiet, narrow lane, and I was taking up some of it while doing my repair. I heard a car coming and looked up... Yes - I needed to move everything out of the way to let it by. I shunted my stuff onto the verge and breathed in while the car squeezed by. It headed towards the puddles, then stopped and went into reverse. It came to rest just in front of me and the young driver wound his window down and asked if I was ok? Did I need help? I thanked him and said that I was nearly finished, but thanks anyway. He said that he would give me a lift if I needed it. I slotted the wheel back in, thanked him again, and showed him that the bike was now roadworthy.

I am not used to motorists doing that kind of thing... Friendly folk in Devon! :smile:

I am going to sacrifice a bit of comfort and put an extra 0.5 bar of pressure in front and back to reduce the risk of another snakebite on rough lanes.

*** I just set an alarm on my phone to remind me to repair the old tube tomorrow, or put a new spare in my backpack if the old tube is too badly damaged. (I didn't look at it when I removed it from the wheel - I was in a hurry to get going again.)

Right now, I'm not likely to be riding anywhere for a while other than a few pedal revolutions on the turbo at zero resistance to see what hurts. Doc just prescribed stronger painkillers and told me to try to keep it moving and that it would take some time to subside.

That road near Nether Exe is typical of a few around here and it doesn't need to be by a river either, the water just rushes-off the fields creating myriad red lakes in every depression in the road. Round here full time mudguards seem sensible and I might dig my old-uns out and fit them back for the time being. Many of the local roads have more water-filled potholes than tarmac and after a short ride without guards the bike looks like I've dragged-it out of the river. The fine grit's not going to help bearings either....

So no ridey for me on Saturday unfortunately - but hopefully next time.

It's a pain because you really need to deflate your tyres and let the water out after many rides around here.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Right now, I'm not likely to be riding anywhere for a while other than a few pedal revolutions on the turbo at zero resistance to see what hurts. Doc just prescribed stronger painkillers and told me to try to keep it moving and that it would take some time to subside.

So no ridey for me on Saturday unfortunately - but hopefully next time.
It certainly sounded like a bad idea in the circumstances! Maybe we can try again in August.

That road near Nether Exe is typical of a few around here and it doesn't need to be by a river either, the water just rushes-off the fields creating myriad red lakes in every depression in the road. Round here full time mudguards seem sensible and I might dig my old-uns out and fit them back for the time being. Many of the local roads have more water-filled potholes than tarmac and after a short ride without guards the bike looks like I've dragged-it out of the river. The fine grit's not going to help bearings either....

It's a pain because you really need to deflate your tyres and let the water out after many rides around here.
I have plenty of clearance on the bike for mudguards. I think that there are mountings for them and/or a rack. I'm tempted to fit them. I will check when back at the bike.

I will let the rear tyre down and see if that is full of water too!

I checked the old tube. There was a classic snakebite puncture in it. I was going to repair the tube but there was a bulge elsewhere in it that I didn't like the look of. No point in taking chances so I cut the valve out before I changed my mind!

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

@Fab Foodie - I hope that the back/leg problem is starting to ease?

I decided to save our planned route until my visit in August rather than ride it solo because I did the second half of it yesterday in both directions. I am going to spend Saturday out with my family now.

Last visit, my sister and I bought her daughter a reconditioned bike. Up until yesterday though, she hadn't ridden it! She needed a bit of encouragement and backup so I cycled down to Exmouth on the Exe Estuary Trail, then up to her house. We cycled together to Otterton and back on back streets and cycle paths.

My niece really enjoyed the ride and coped surprisingly well with it. I think that a new saddle and/or some padded shorts are probably needed though - she said that she was feeling pretty uncomfortable on the current saddle by the time we got back! Her boyfriend has just bought a bike so I think that they will start heading out together soon.

We returned via the road next to Exmouth beach and stopped at a cafe for Coke and ice cream.

I said goodbye and returned along my outward route as far as Upton Pyne. When I looked at my Garmin I saw that I had done 82 km at that point. The weather was really nice so I decided to ride on to Thorverton and tour round those lanes to get a metric century in.

A good day out, and maybe a new cyclist in the family?

Hopefully, see you Devonians in August!

Jameshow

Veteran

I decided to save our planned route until my visit in August rather than ride it solo because I did the second half of it yesterday in both directions. I am going to spend Saturday out with my family now.

Last visit, my sister and I bought her daughter a reconditioned bike. Up until yesterday though, she hadn't ridden it! She needed a bit of encouragement and backup so I cycled down to Exmouth on the Exe Estuary Trail, then up to her house. We cycled together to Otterton and back on back streets and cycle paths.

My niece really enjoyed the ride and coped surprisingly well with it. I think that a new saddle and/or some padded shorts are probably needed though - she said that she was feeling pretty uncomfortable on the current saddle by the time we got back! Her boyfriend has just bought a bike so I think that they will start heading out together soon.

We returned via the road next to Exmouth beach and stopped at a cafe for Coke and ice cream.

I said goodbye and returned along my outward route as far as Upton Pyne. When I looked at my Garmin I saw that I had done 82 km at that point. The weather was really nice so I decided to ride on to Thorverton and tour round those lanes to get a metric century in.

When you next in Devon? I'm there last 2 weeks August.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Blimey! It's all happening. I'm living the dream in a Travelodge before the 600 tomorrow.
FF - hope your back improves.
Hope to see you all in August.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

When you next in Devon? I'm there last 2 weeks August.
I just asked my sister. She is having a big party on the 26th, which I (being the world's most dedicated party pooper!) intend to avoid, so my next Devon forum ride will be the Saturday before - the 19th.

Blimey! It's all happening. I'm living the dream in a Travelodge before the 600 tomorrow.
FF - hope your back improves.
Hope to see you all in August.
I like to get back to base to sleep after a ride and don't like riding in the dark so I was never going to manage a 600! Have fun on yours.

If I ever got fit enough again I would like to try doing a 300 km mid-summer daylight ride. TBH, if I were doing that though, I would actually go for 200 miles (322 km) instead. I think the furthest that I ever rode was a very hilly 230-odd km. I suspect that I might not reach even that level again but there is no harm in trying!

Fab Foodie

Sounds like a result!

Fab Foodie

I just asked my sister. She is having a big party on the 26th, which I (being the world's most dedicated party pooper!) intend to avoid, so my next Devon forum ride will be the Saturday before - the 19th.

I like to get back to base to sleep after a ride and don't like riding in the dark so I was never going to manage a 600! Have fun on yours.

If I ever got fit enough again I would like to try doing a 300 km mid-summer daylight ride. TBH, if I were doing that though, I would actually go for 200 miles (322 km) instead. I think the furthest that I ever rode was a very hilly 230-odd km. I suspect that I might not reach even that level again but there is no harm in trying!

19th is in the diary.
350km is my furthest in one hit - I'd like to be approaching that again one day. Time (and commitments to others) is as ever is the enemy to ambition....

Fab Foodie

The back is really OK in terms of pain, it's been the left leg which has been the bugger.

Friday 12th saw the Osteopath - After a pummeling I was much improved and could walk more freely with less discomfort sitting or lying down.
By the following Tuesday - no further improvement, spoke with the Doc who said move as much as possible and gave me some Codeine for the pain as the leg spasms had pretty much diminished.
Friday wandered around the Devon County show albeit slowly and was fine until I stopped.
Main issue now really localised around the knee and upper calf where the skin feels numb but sore to the touch if that makes sense. When am moving (as long as nothing touching the area), all is well, cycling is no issue.
Saturday rode the bike into town and back - all OK in that regard - again until I stopped/sat down or went to bed.
Sunday washed the Campervan, cleared the garage, all OK until stopping - same pain which is really uncomfortable at night.
More pummelling by the Osteopath today, who was pleased with progress and said it's going to take time for that last bit of nerve associated with the skin in that area to free-up (which it may never do).
So leg muscles generally good - lower back mild ache - patch of skin near my knee/calf - painful!

In the meantime - the Rourke now has its old mudguards fitted and the SL2 Brompton now has a 44T chainring instead of the original 50 (it was already in my spares box), so now the 2 speed is peachy for nipping into town without bending the pedals to get back up the hill to home!

Top Bottom