Forum ride - Central Scotland

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavintc

Guru
Well, I would be prepared to try a rerun of the route in Feb / Mar. I have some weekends already wiped out through family and holiday commitments, but I have some weekends free. I actually quite like the route - it is nice to bash over a different - relatively traffic free roads.

Yeah I'd be up for this ride again too but this time can we do something about the weather in advance.

I'm certainly up for it, and after having a chat with my wife I think a new bike is definitely on the cards before then. At the moment I am considering the Specialized tricross sport, or possibly a Planet X Kaffenback. Any other suggestions to help me keep up (and that would be usable on my commute when the weather isn't too bad!)

magnatom said:
I'm certainly up for it, and after having a chat with my wife I think a new bike is definitely on the cards before then. At the moment I am considering the Specialized tricross sport, or possibly a Planet X Kaffenback. Any other suggestions to help me keep up (and that would be usable on my commute when the weather isn't too bad!)
Most manufacturer do a cyclo cross bike, I came across the Marin Toscana, I quite liked the look of it, it in their urban collection.

HLaB said:
Most manufacturer do a cyclo cross bike, I came across the Marin Toscana, I quite liked the look of it, it in their urban collection.
Would the hub discs not just add some necessary weight?

Anyway this is possibly going off topic. I'll post somewhere else soon, when I start looking properly.

magnatom said:
Would the hub discs not just add some necessary weight?

Anyway this is possibly going off topic. I'll post somewhere else soon, when I start looking properly.
Might do but they'll be more suited to commuting :smile: I must admit that the only thing that stopped me buying one; not because of weight but if I wanted to cyclocross I'm not sure if they are race legal.

HLaB said:
Might do but they'll be more suited to commuting :wacko: I must admit that the only thing that stopped me buying one; not because of weight but if I wanted to cyclocross I'm not sure if they are race legal.

I think I want a bike more slanted to road riding than commuting, but with the option, so I think I need to take weight into account.

gavintc

Guru
As someone on your other thread has stated, have a look at the winter / audaux / training bike market. I have a Ribble winter bike. It has mudguard and rear rack eyes although I have never used the rack eyes. I bought it 2nd hand off the old C+ site and I know the guy I bought it from used with a rack for commuting. It is light enough for me to bash the roads with the club as a solid winter trainer and I also use it on my commute.

Ribble do have some good deals from time to time.

gavintc said:
As someone on your other thread has stated, have a look at the winter / audaux / training bike market. I have a Ribble winter bike. It has mudguard and rear rack eyes although I have never used the rack eyes. I bought it 2nd hand off the old C+ site and I know the guy I bought it from used with a rack for commuting. It is light enough for me to bash the roads with the club as a solid winter trainer and I also use it on my commute.

Ribble do have some good deals from time to time.

Hi Gavin,

Yes I remember the ribble from the last ride. Certainly looked good. I just didn't associate your Ribble bike with Ribble the online shop. The problem is I will be buying it from a cycle to work scheme (cyclescheme). So I think Ribble itself is out. However, I will certainly look into winter/audaux type bikes.

Anyway back on topic. This ride......;)

OP
OP
Tetedelacourse

Tetedelacourse

I'll be up for it if I am allowed time off. I start a new job tomorrow which might impinge on my posting count but I'll keep an eye on arrangements here and be there if I possibly can be.

My roadbike has not been touched since before the last ride. Oh dear.

Hey Magna, at least when Gavin kept dropping me he was on a Colnago stealth machine which weighed less than a disc brake. He dropped you on his RIBBLE!!?! :biggrin: :smile:

Happy New Year folks.

Tetedelacourse said:
Hey Magna, at least when Gavin kept dropping me he was on a Colnago stealth machine which weighed less than a disc brake. He dropped you on his RIBBLE!!?! ;) :becool:

Aye, but you've seen my bike. It makes a ribble look like a Pinarello Prince carbon 50HM1K :biggrin:.

(I had to look Pinarello up, I assume these are good bikes :tongue:)

Come on folks! Get your names in the hat. Who is in principle up for a ride in Feb/Mar? It's a good course. A bit of a challange, but if I can make it on my lead plated monster carrying far too much in a rucksack, with nasty headwinds, then anyone can make it in the lovely weather that we get in Feb March! :biggrin:

Come on you wimps! Lets get a good group for the next ride. Put your name in the hat!

I hope to have a new bike by then, so I'll be leading the way.... aye right!!:smile:

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
A tentative 'yes' from me (depending on whether I can arrange childminding and transport).

Any chance of doing a more *cough cough* Edinburgh-based ride sometime ? I'm sure HLaB will now some good routes out around Edinburgh and the Lothians / Fife etc...

goo_mason said:
A tentative 'yes' from me (depending on whether I can arrange childminding and transport).

Any chance of doing a more *cough cough* Edinburgh-based ride sometime ? I'm sure HLaB will now some good routes out around Edinburgh and the Lothians / Fife etc...

I'd hardly call Stirling, Glasgow friendly!:smile: Goo, Hlab,etc if you have some ideas for another ride, put it forward. There is no reason why we have to do the same ride again. It's whatever most folk are happiest with. So long as there is a pub at the end of it! :biggrin: HIC!

Most of my better rides are spiral out of Dunfermline. Getting a train from Glasgow isn't exactly convenient particularly if its a Sunday. Cycling is fairly easy but its not particularly exciting. If we want to consider a Dunfermline based ride let me know I'm sure I can come up with something.

Top Bottom