Forum ride - Central Scotland

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
colcazal said:
Hi Guys,

Sorry to say that I am OUT for tomorrow. The demon drink has got a hold of me. well, it is chrimbo!!!

I all can say is bring on the red wine and headache!

I will keep a look out for further rides. Hope all goes well!

Cheers,

Col the lightweight

Bah humbug!:angry:

No problem. So who is up for it, gavintc, HlaB, Quickdraw, are the possibles I have at the moment. As I said, of the weather is too crap we can always have a big cafe stop!:biggrin:

QuickDraw

magnatom said:
Bah humbug!:angry:

No problem. So who is up for it, gavintc, HlaB, Quickdraw, are the possibles I have at the moment. As I said, of the weather is too crap we can always have a big cafe stop!:biggrin:

tetedelacourse said:
Gavin and HlaB just had to wait for us (me) last time every few miles.

Looks like it might turn into 2 separate rides. I'm still up for it just don't expect me to be beating any speed records.

QuickDraw

HLaB said:
I'm still up for it too but I wouldn't worry about speed records from me.

Well that's 3. Enough to cycle a few miles and then sit in the cafe getting our stories straight for posting on here on Sunday night about how fast we were, how bad the weather was and how we decided to go over the Campsies twice just for a laugh.

See you at Stirling train station 9am.

Cool. We have a ride. Do you know the route HlaB? I've just got a new phone with sat nav on it, so we might need it!:ohmy:

gavintc

Guru
Just checked out the route. I am reasonably happy with it and 'should' remember the turning points. I know that under the tree is a Garmin Edge, but I am not allowed to touch it till next week. It would have been perfect for this little route.

So, I will be there - a little nervous about the wind, but we will see how we go!!

I'll have my sat nav phone with me, so we can use it to help check where we are. I'm not sure that it would last the whole ride, but worth using for occasional checks.

Looking forward to seeing you guys.

Are we mad!? :biggrin::biggrin::wacko::ohmy:

I managed to get printer working it looks a simple enough route: the B823 Cornton Road to the A9, the B824 to Doune, the B8032 to the B822, the B822 to Fintry/ Craighton, the B818 to Carron Bridge, Left to Shielbrae then back to Stirling.
Will it be that easy tomorrow we can only find out :ohmy:

Why did I leave the cable for my Garmin in the flat :biggrin:

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
I hope you're all still alive - it's blowing an absolute gale here in Leith today; the wind is battering off the outside walls (I'm the top floor flat, so most exposed) and I'm glad I'm all safe and warm indoors !!

gavintc

Guru
Well 4 of us completed the loop from Stirling. The weather was 'blowy' but dry for most of the ride and the temp was actually quite reasonable. It was certainly not nearly as bad as the 1st forum ride - that was serious hard core.

This one was tough, the wind seemed against us for most of the ride and only gave a well timed respite on the final leg for Stirling. Overall, it was successful and certainly worth doing again. The route, now used twice, is mostly on quiet roads and the hills manageable. None of us decided to go over the Crow road to Lennoxtown.

Ok, now the real story...

Quickdraw was kind enough to offer me a lift to Stirling. Nice chap, and we had a good chat on the way there. He just happened to drop into the conversation that he'd done a fair few triathlons over the years. Oh dear. He suggested that he wasn't good, so I relaxed a little, until he mentioned he'd won one....oh, oh:ohmy:

So we set off from Stirling the wind was putting on a good show. Gavintc, HlaB, and Quickdraw all looked the part and had the right gear, i.e. a light road bike. I had my 10 tonne lead plated, marathon plus tyred flat bar hybrid, oh dear!

We set off north. Of course I didn't realise that this would mean taking on the biggest hills and the wind at the start. Ouch! It hurt a bit, but I managed to keep within 3 miles of the leaders, so I battled on, and so did the wind.

There was one section, which I am sure was downhill and nice and straight. I should have been flying (ok, going above 10mph along here). I wasn't. The wind obviously didn't know who I am!:whistle:

We approached a hill and Quickdraw seemed to enjoy pointing out that we were going over that. Ok, not directly over the top, but it looked a fair climb. Gavintc took pity on me though and suggested that we stop at the cafe half way up. I didn't argue and I didn't ask how high up the cafe actually was.

I love granny gear. In fact it became my very close friend during the climb to the cafe as the others shot up with the promise of buns. In fact as Quickdraw later pointed out, a Great Granny ring would have been welcome.

I made it to the cafe at an average of 2mph as the others were on their third round of buns (not really true!). I stuffed my face wondering what the rest of the climb would be like. It was hard, but not as hard as the first half and eventually we reached the top. Yippee. Some nice riding followed and we passed by a very full reservoir which had some submerged trees in it. I think I may have even saw a car at one point (not in the reservoir of course!)

Gavintc let me catch up and during our chat suggested that we had passed all the major hills now and it would be relatively easy, especially as the wind was now in our favour. Never trust a word Gavintc says. Two hills that hurt were ahead of us! Admittedly, the wind did help but my legs were failing!

However, the top was reached to some relief and the reward of all our work was a wind assisted drop down to Stirling... weeeeeeee!:rofl: The only problem was the damp surface restricting speed around the corners. I think I may have overtaken Gavintc at one point.....naahh!

And there it was in all of its splendour! The kingdom of Stirling!:smile:

Despite the hard work, and my hamstring cramp with about 10 miles to go, I really enjoyed it. For the others this may have been another ride, for little old me, it was bloody hard work, but it felt great to have made it and done it.

Would I do it again. Yes. On a better bike, with winds below 10mph and with a new set of legs (ok these will have to do!).

Those that didn't turn up were just big jessies and I look forward to seeing you all disappear off into the distance on a future ride. Now for a glass of wine....
:ohmy:

Cheers guys, and thanks for an enjoyable day and workout!

Top Bottom