Forum ride: Crediton to Dartmoor. Saturday, 18th February, 2023

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I like the photos.

We could do the detour at the start but I am happy to go straight up the hill.

I deliberately put that extra ascent in after Chudleigh... I thought it might be good to make the first half harder since the second half is so easy. I like those little lanes, BUT, having said that... I have not done them at this time of year. They might not seem quite so appealing when covered in mud, mulch, and puddles, so I would be happy to do the more obvious route down to Cockwood.! :laugh:

I definitely do want to return via Upton Pyne rather than Langford though. If you decide that you would rather avoid the extra hill(s) we can say our goodbyes at Cowley. If you would rather skip Thorverton, we could do Upton Pyne but then go left at Pye Corner and head back via the road towards Shute. I could always add my own loop back from Creedy via Shobrooke and Thorverton if I still felt frisky at the end.

We can always do it again!
We could, but I was thinking of suggesting my 100 km flat-by-Devon-standards route for my spring visit...

Cred Budd Salt Exm Extr 100 km loop.png

newts

Veteran
The Haldon ridge is not busy with traffic & the road is wide (great views too). Mamhead is a great descent with a few sharp turns, it tails off into a gentle coast down Starcross.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I like the photos.

We could do the detour at the start but I am happy to go straight up the hill.

I deliberately put that extra ascent in after Chudleigh... I thought it might be good to make the first half harder since the second half is so easy. I like those little lanes, BUT, having said that... I have not done them at this time of year. They might not seem quite so appealing when covered in mud, mulch, and puddles, so I would be happy to do the more obvious route down to Cockwood.! :laugh:

I definitely do want to return via Upton Pyne rather than Langford though. If you decide that you would rather avoid the extra hill(s) we can say our goodbyes at Cowley. If you would rather skip Thorverton, we could do Upton Pyne but then go left at Pye Corner and head back via the road towards Shute. I could always add my own loop back from Creedy via Shobrooke and Thorverton if I still felt frisky at the end.

We could, but I was thinking of suggesting my 100 km flat-by-Devon-standards route for my spring visit...

View attachment 678047

That seems a good plan.
Going straight-up is fine, but I will just have to take it easy with my ticker as it takes me a while to get warmed-up - about 5 miles normally, which is at the top!

The little lanes are a bit treacherous in places, very slippy. I had to walk one short bit of steep hill this morning as I couldn't twiddle the lowest gear and if I stood on the pedals I wheel-spun to a standstill. The descents are a bit lairy for the same reason.
Pynes hill is fine if my legs are still going round ;-)

I like the spring ride idea, hopefully I will be better acclimatised to the very different riding conditions down here. Not really a fan of twisty high-hedgrow, slippy surfaces with trucks and tractors* barrelling along the opposite way, but will have to get used to it.

*Electric cars are very scary as you don't hear them coming

Fab Foodie

The Haldon ridge is not busy with traffic & the road is wide (great views too). Mamhead is a great descent with a few sharp turns, it tails off into a gentle coast down Starcross.

Did I mention the Obelisk at Mamhead was built by one of my ancestors?

Fab Foodie

It was a marker beacon for the estuary?

Indeed it was....

The Mamhead estate was sold by the adventurer Sir Peter Carew (1514–1575) to Giles Ball, whose son Sir Peter Ball (1598–1680) was attorney-general to King Charles I's Queen, Henrietta Maria. He began to build a country house here, replacing an older house. His grandson Thomas Ball (1671–1749), a merchant, planted many exotic trees brought back from his continental travels.

Britton & Brayley said of Mamhead's grounds The Beauties of England and Wales (1803):[6]

"The woods and plantations of Mamhead are numerous and extensive. Many of them were introduced by Mr Thomas Balle (sic), the last of that family who, on returning from the continent brought with him a quantity of cork, ilex, wainscot, oak, Spanish chestnut, acacia, and other species of exotic trees. With these, he embellished the boldly swelling grounds at Mamhead."

200px-Mamhead_Obelisk.jpg

Mamhead Obelisk from Exmouth, c. 1790
Between 1742 and 1745, Ball built an obelisk on the hill above the house "out of a regard to the safety of such as might use to sail out of the Port of Exon or any others who might be driven on the coast".[1][7] The obelisk has a height of one hundred feet.

Meanwhile, around the same time other parts of the distant family were plantation and slave owners:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slaves_in_the_Family

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

I finally got out on my bike after nearly a week down here. It seems to be working ok.

The tyres had lost 50% of their pressure but that isn't surprising over a period of about 4 months.

I had one unwanted gear shift but I think that I will not mess about with the derailleur unless the shifting starts to get worse. I may have caught the gear lever, which operates a SRAM double-tap mechanism. It always takes me a short while to get used to it again.

I added my new clip-on Zefal mudguards which offer at least some protection from crud.

I also put some lights on the bike. They should not be needed on Saturday but they are there if needed***.

I would have done more than my 21 km circuit of the local lanes but rain was imminent and I wanted to dodge it, which I pretty much did. The last 15 minutes was in light drizzle but rain didn't fall until I was home. It actually didn't last long anyway...

Speaking of weather... It is currently looking ok for Saturday, so it should be safe for you Devonian forum aquaphobics to join us - sign up below! :okay:

*** We got caught in a thunderstorm on one edition of the Humber Bridge ride and needed lights about 6 hours before sunset!

Jameshow

Veteran
I finally got out on my bike after nearly a week down here. It seems to be working ok.

The tyres had lost 50% of their pressure but that isn't surprising over a period of about 4 months.

I had one unwanted gear shift but I think that I will not mess about with the derailleur unless the shifting starts to get worse. I may have caught the gear lever, which operates a SRAM double-tap mechanism. It always takes me a short while to get used to it again.

I added my new clip-on Zefal mudguards which offer at least some protection from crud.

I also put some lights on the bike. They should not be needed on Saturday but they are there if needed***.

I would have done more than my 21 km circuit of the local lanes but rain was imminent and I wanted to dodge it, which I pretty much did. The last 15 minutes was in light drizzle but rain didn't fall until I was home. It actually didn't last long anyway...

Speaking of weather... It is currently looking ok for Saturday, so it should be safe for you Devonian forum aquaphobics to join us - sign up below! :okay:

*** We got caught in a thunderstorm on one edition of the Humber Bridge ride and needed lights about 6 hours before sunset!

Amazing how you can often jump on a bike which you haven't ridden for 4months and it's good to go! Bit of air and lube and your off!

Fab Foodie

I went out to wash my bike at lunchtime and it started raining...have left it there!
You can't be an aquaphobe AND a cyclist in Devon...the 2 are mutually exclusive!

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Amazing how you can often jump on a bike which you haven't ridden for 4months and it's good to go! Bit of air and lube and your off!
I always lube the chain and various other rust-vulnerable metal parts before putting it away between visits.

I bought a spare track pump to leave here so I don't have to mess about with my mini-pump for routine tyre

I know that one pair of disc pads is about 50% worn so they could need replacing fairly soon. I am carrying a spare pair with me, just in case.

Hang on... That is not correct! I have spare pads here, but I forgot to put a pair in my bag. I will do that before I ride the bike again. They are not difficult to replace so it should not be a problem if I had to do it while out.

Did I mention the Obelisk at Mamhead was built by one of my ancestors?
I have now mentioned it in turn to my sister. We will take her dog up there for a walk some time.

Fab Foodie

The Norwegians are giving rain for Saturday morning and a 'Fresh Breeze from the West'....

By the way, what time are we meeting at Creddy station?

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

By the way, what time are we meeting at Creddy station?
I think that I suggested 10:00? I would be happy for it be a bit later but Ian needs to get back. I could make it earlier if I had to but I struggle to get to sleep before 03:00 so early starts are hard work! :laugh:

If necessary though, I would make the effort to get up earlier. When we do the Humber Bridge ride, we start from York at 09:00 so I usually make do with about 3 hours sleep in order to catch an early train!

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

The Norwegians are giving rain for Saturday morning and a 'Fresh Breeze from the West'....
Is that a Norwegian forecast for the UK that is more reliable than the Met Office and BBC forecasts?

The Met Office are suggesting a 10% chance of rain but the Beeb come up with 30%. That is quite a difference!

I forgot to ask about bike locks... I don't have one here. I could get one delivered by Prime in time for the ride but if you and/or Ian will be bringing a lock whick could lock 3 bikes together then I might not bother.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
10 or 10:30 would suit me. It'll take me about 90 mins to get there. If it gets too late I can always peel off for home. The Wheelers do starts at 17:30 so I'll need time to shower & get down there.

Fab Foodie

10 or 10:30 would suit me. It'll take me about 90 mins to get there. If it gets too late I can always peel off for home. The Wheelers do starts at 17:30 so I'll need time to shower & get down there.

You are welcome to come (by car) and get showered/changed at our place if that helps?

Top Bottom