Forum ride: Crediton to Dartmoor. Saturday, 18th February, 2023

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Also, they wouldn't be stopping for any refreshments along the way.

One of the reasons I became so involved with the early days of Abingdon Freewheeling was the realisation that what I needed was a drinking club that rode bicycles rather than a cycling club.
Effort well spent....

Fab Foodie

Training ride....

20230108_124832.jpg

20230108_125437.jpg

Children's meal at the Double Locks....

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I have been out today for a training... walk! I wanted to check out local establishment, Bob's Tearoom, which I will use on a future forum ride. It is rare that I see slabs of cake as big as they serve there, and it was very tasty too.

I did 3 short rides last week. I will try to get at least a 50 km ride in this week. Between now and Devon, I really want to get reasonably fit again.

Fab Foodie

Quick unrelated question to pick the brains-trust here rather than the main forums.
As part of my bike refurb I replaced the 2004 9spd DA rear Mech for Deore long-cage 9spd, and would now like to replace the 2004 Ultegra triple front derailleur - Triple's are in decline - I can see 105 triple derailleurs for 10 speed - surely that would work for my 9 speed set-up on a 9 speed non-indexed Friction shifter?

Cheers
FF

Fab Foodie

I would have thought that it would work but don't take my word for it! :okay:

What is wrong with the Ultegra triple mech? Doesn't cope with small enough rings perhaps?

The Ultergra's mostly, fine, I was going to retire it along with it's DA rear mate for some future project. The 105 cage seems much more meaty at the small ring end compared to the Ultegra which might help shifting. I find the Ultegra doesn't seem to like the 28T granny much although it has the capacity (I have adjusted). It's done 18 years service!

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
The Ultergra's mostly, fine, I was going to retire it along with it's DA rear mate for some future project. The 105 cage seems much more meaty at the small ring end compared to the Ultegra which might help shifting. I find the Ultegra doesn't seem to like the 28T granny much although it has the capacity (I have adjusted). It's done 18 years service!

Almost anything should work with a friction lever. A deeper inner plate should improve changing at the lower end.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Exeter Wheelers have scheduled their prize-giving for the evening of the 18th Feb. That does not preclude a day out pedalling, but I'd have to be away fairly promptly. If that's the day you/we decide on.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Exeter Wheelers have scheduled their prize-giving for the evening of the 18th Feb. That does not preclude a day out pedalling, but I'd have to be away fairly promptly. If that's the day you/we decide on.
What time do you need to finish by? And I suppose also - what time do people want to start? I would prefer a leisurely start at, say, 10:00 in Crediton but if that is too late, it could be earlier.

I can't see why we would be late back unless there were a major mechanical issue OR the pub-goers in the group try to stretch the stop beyond its necessary duration... :whistle:

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
I'd need to get to Exeter in reasonable shape by around 1900. Given the favoured route I can peel off for home anywhere along the homeward leg

Jameshow

Veteran
Quick unrelated question to pick the brains-trust here rather than the main forums.
As part of my bike refurb I replaced the 2004 9spd DA rear Mech for Deore long-cage 9spd, and would now like to replace the 2004 Ultegra triple front derailleur - Triple's are in decline - I can see 105 triple derailleurs for 10 speed - surely that would work for my 9 speed set-up on a 9 speed non-indexed Friction shifter?

Cheers
FF

I think it will sense the friction shifter and throw it's dummy out saying this isn't Sti why should I move to this dinosaur!!

Fab Foodie

I'd need to get to Exeter in reasonable shape by around 1900. Given the favoured route I can peel off for home anywhere along the homeward leg

If you came to Creddy by car you can always get cleaned-up (and fed if required) at ours if that's easier?

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

You will be fine then.

Time for a list of potential riders...
Given that the rail unions have to give 3 weeks notice of a rail strike and I need to travel down on 9th February, I should be able to confirm the 18th February date after 19th January. If I can't get down for my family gathering, I would prefer to delay coming down for a few weeks to see off more of the winter. I'll let you know one way or the other ASAP.

Jameshow

Veteran
Sorry but I doubt I can make it. Haven't seen my parents this Christmas due to illness in my family and I'm in the middle our men's shed build ATM which is taking all my time.

Another less busy time I'm in!

Sorry again.

Top Bottom