Forum ride: Crediton to Dartmoor. Saturday, 18th February, 2023

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
I’ve only just seen this thread. I may well be interested.

Im now watching the thread.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Weekdays are marginally better for me. I do need to book some events before too long, so might have to take pot luck as to whether I'm around.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
AUK AGM is 11 Feb, which I'd need to attend.

It definitely will not be that weekend because family activities are booked for the 9th to the 13th.

One good thing about the change of date is that potential clashes with a blood test and dental appointment will be avoided.

Ideally, we would have a choice of 2 consecutive days. I would hate to do the ride on a horribly stormy day, and especially if great weather were forecast for the day after!

I don't have mudguards on my Devon bike. I might fit some on this coming visit, though I normally would not ride in bad weather when I am on holiday.

I have had 5 or 6 one-week holidays in Devon so far and the weather was okay or good for more than half of the total number of days. Maybe I just got lucky?! :whistle:

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

We do sometimes have sun in Devon, but February will be hit & miss.
Fingers crossed that it will be like it was when I was down last February...

Wetherspoons garden Exeter.jpg

Sunny walk in Devon.jpg

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Weekend is better for me, but if there are no other options and am not booked to travel, then a weekday is a possibility.

Finally got the Rourke back resplendent in a new drive train and a Carbon fork (from Spa) replacing the original 853 steel one. First spins around the block and over the hill suggests that it's money well spent. The fork is notably better making the bike feel springier and more alive with less road buzz. Miles will tell of course.
In any case, this is a preamble to say I'd better get off my arse and get a few hilly miles under my belt in the next weeks!

Full mudguards will not be present at this time....

Last edited:
OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Weekend is better for me, but if there are no other options and am not booked to travel, then a weekday is a possibility.
Well, if the trains are running then I will be down on the 9th of Feb (Thu) and stopping until the 20th (Mon), but I can't do that first weekend. I have a preference for the following weekend. I'd say do the ride Sat the 18th, with the 19th in reserve in case the weather that weekend greatly favours the Sunday?

If striking railway workers prevent me coming down for those dates, I will come down a few weeks later (as originally planned). In that situation you could either go ahead without me, or we could delay the ride until I eventually turn up.

Ideally, there would be a deal with the railway workers and the strikes would stop, but I can see this dragging on for months. There has to be 3 weeks notice of strikes, so in 2 weeks time I will know if the dates work for me and I will post to let you know.

In any case, this is a preamble to say I'd better get off my arse and get a few hilly miles under my belt in the next weeks!
Until today, I had only done a single 35 minute ride since 1st December, and that one was pretty flat! I went out this afternoon and did another short ride on my singlespeed bike, but this time I included a few short, sharp shocks to test me... Aaargh - hard work! I'm in the same boat as you - it is scary how quickly you can start to lose fitness that took months to develop.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Hmm. The Wheelers' Saturday Social goes through Crediton on the 18th. https://ridewithgps.com/routes/36394266
Er, I'm not sure if you are suggesting that we do that ride instead, or pointing out that you are booked up on the 18th?! :wacko:

I would prefer to do this ride, but maybe we could make the primary date the 19th if you fancied joining us but also doing the Wheelers ride on the 18th? (We might bring our ride forward to the 18th though if the 19th ended up looking grim.)

Anyway, it is too soon to make final decisions one way or another.

I aim to average one Devon visit per season so there should be plenty of opportunities for future get-togethers too.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Er, I'm not sure if you are suggesting that we do that ride instead, or pointing out that you are booked up on the 18th?! :wacko:

I would prefer to do this ride, but maybe we could make the primary date the 19th if you fancied joining us but also doing the Wheelers ride on the 18th? (We might bring our ride forward to the 18th though if the 19th ended up looking grim.)

Anyway, it is too soon to make final decisions one way or another.

I aim to average one Devon visit per season so there should be plenty of opportunities for future get-togethers too.

Just offering an alternative. I can ride with them anytime, so no worries if there's a date clash and you prefer your route.

Top Bottom