Forum ride: Crediton to Dartmoor. Saturday, 18th February, 2023

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I did another metric century yesterday, on my now worn front tyre bike. I got onto the nice Dartmoor Way path down to Bovey Tracey when I had a very stupid thought, which I should have immediately dismissed from my mind...

"This is a slightly rough surface, but no worries - it is ages since I had a punctu..."

Hissssssss!!! :banghead:

Drat!

While I was fixing it an elderly*** couple walked up with their dog. The man asked me questions about my bike, and both then told me stories of how they toured on a tandem in their 20s and 30s, including the tale of a scary brake failure on a descent in the Cotswolds! Nice people. Off they went.

Another dog-walking woman walked behind me as I was bent over the punctured tyre. She mumbled something to the dogs. Then she coughed and spoke louder... "Excuse me, do you need a hand with that?" I apologised, saying that I am half deaf. No help needed but thanks for offering. That is the first time that a woman has ever asked. Most men don't, but never a woman! Friendly people in Devon!

I am definitely buying new tyres for my next visit.

*** More elderly than me! 80-ish.
In general, if there's a blue NCN sign, avoid that route.
Crosses Moretonhampstead railway path off shortlist... :whistle:

I've just remembered that I cycled up through Haldon Forest from Chudleigh in 2017. I was staying at the Finlake holiday site and heading over to Exeter St David's to catch a train to Barnstaple with my cousin. We cycled the first part back on the Tarka Trail, which actually was a pretty good path (as far as I can recall).

Here's pretty-much the route I did before:

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/41698636
I hadn't looked at Oldridge Rd before. That looks a nice road, but SV shows it (in winter) to be pretty mucky and with signs of flooding.

How about...?
  • Start at Crediton station.
  • If it is dry, climb Oldridge rd to Bowlish. If roads mucky, straight up from Fordton instead.
  • Heath Cross, Pathfinder Village, Longdown.
  • Windy Cross, Haldon Forest.
  • Old Exeter Rd to Chudleigh.
  • Climb through Biddlecombe Cross to go over A380 at Ashcombe Cross.
  • Nice descent to pub stop at Cockwood (Ashcombe, Langdon Barton, Gulliford, Cofton Hill).
  • Estuary path to Exeter.
  • Exwick, Cowley, shortest possible bit of A377(!), Upton Pyne, then...
  • EITHER Pye Corner, Shute Cross, Creedy Bridge, Crediton...
  • OR (slightly further and lumpier) Brampford Speke, Thorverton, Shobrooke, Creedy Bridge, Crediton.
74-79 km (approx. 46-49 miles).

Ian H

Ancient randonneur

I've just remembered that I cycled up through Haldon Forest from Chudleigh in 2017. I was staying at the Finlake holiday site and heading over to Exeter St David's to catch a train to Barnstaple with my cousin. We cycled the first part back on the Tarka Trail, which actually was a pretty good path (as far as I can recall).

I hadn't looked at Oldridge Rd before. That looks a nice road, but SV shows it (in winter) to be pretty mucky and with signs of flooding.

How about...?
  • If it is dry, climb Oldridge rd to Bowlish. If roads mucky, straight up from Fordton instead.
  • Nice descent to pub stop at Cockwood (Ashcombe, Langdon Barton, Gulliford, Cofton Hill).
  • OR (slightly further and lumpier) Brampford Speke, Thorverton, Shobrooke, Creedy Bridge, Crediton.

That's a good lumpy start, but a nice route.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...

How about...?

I reckon this is pretty-much what you're proposing - and I second it! Let me know if you want adjustments.

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/4170...23,-3.5501492803955004&zoom=16&overlay=hybrid

I proposed going from the station up through oldridge as it climbs over an extra mile so is slightly less strenuous and IIRCa slightly better road-surface and views (I will recce).
The ride along Haldon ridge is lovely!
Anchor at Cockwood for lunch/beer stop is fab, with B-plan for the Double locks (or auxilliary refuelling as required)
Regarding the return from Cowley:
  • Pynes Hill is quite a climb for weary legs with more lumpiness to come via Brampford Speke and Thorverton
  • Last time I drove (in the C1) the Thorverton to Creedy road it's a virtual farm-track - heavily potholled and surprisingly busy - but fairly short
Options could be depending on people's legs (and we can decide on the day):
  • Upton Pyne, Shute Cross and then left towards Shobroke park
  • OR, a short (less than 1/2 a mile) bit of A377 to Langford Road then Shute Cross - much flatter, I often bug-out of Pynes hill and take this road and the reverse going to Exeter.
There is a very-nice brew-pub at Newton St Cyres station called the Beer Engine...just saying!

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Last edited:
OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

I reckon this is pretty-much what you're proposing - and I second it! Let me know if you want adjustments.

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/4170...23,-3.5501492803955004&zoom=16&overlay=hybrid
Yes, that is what I am proposing.

Pynes Hill is quite a climb for weary legs with more lumpiness to come via Brampford Speke and Thorverton
I agree that climbing over to Upton Pyne takes some effort but we should be ok after a stop at the pub and then a blissfully easy ride back along the estuary path?

Last time I drove (in the C1) the Thorverton to Creedy road it's a virtual farm-track - heavily potholled and surprisingly busy - but fairly short
I agree that some sections of the road from Thorverton to Creedy are a bit rough, but are okay on a bike if you watch where you are going. I just like that road. I do it on my loop round those lanes.

I will only come back as far as Creedy at the end of the ride before turning back to my sister's place. If we decide not to do Thorverton together I can always go back that way solo if I still feel energetic and have time in hand.

Options could be depending on people's legs (and we can decide on the day):
  • Upton Pyne, Shute Cross and then left towards Shobroke park
  • OR, a short (less than 1/2 a mile) bit of A377 to Langford Road then Shute Cross - much flatter, I often bug-out of Pynes hill and take this road and the reverse going to Exeter.
I didn't like that short stretch of the A377 to Langford Rd from the time I first saw it so I would really prefer to avoid it. It is uphill (so I would be riding slowly in fast traffic) into a blind LH bend... The first time I got a lift along there we were overtaken by a car doing a very high speed into the bend. I thought to myself that I wouldn't fancy being on my bike out of sight round the bend. When we got there I saw that there actually was a cyclist who had been out of sight until that moment.

I have been avoiding that road (the A377). I didn't like the look of it (from a cycling perspective) when my friend and I drove up it. My nephew told me that there had been 2 serious accidents on the stretch between Cowley Bridge and Crediton in the first year they had been living down there, and while we were there the road was closed after a collision between a motorcyclist and a car at Cowley.

When I came home I checked the data - it doesn't look good! This shows the record for 2016-2020:

View attachment 630154
Apart from me becoming increasingly wary of lunatic drivers after too many near misses in recent years, I have developed a stiff neck which makes looking over my shoulder a bit tricky. That worries me when turning right on busy roads with fast traffic. At least with the Upton Pyne turn I can have a good look right before joining the main road, then quickly whiz down to the junction before any cars can catch up with me.

There is a very-nice brew-pub at Newton St Cyres station called the Beer Engine...just saying!
You Devon cyclists do like your pubs! :okay: :laugh:

That is actually my sister's local though she barely drinks so I don't think she has been in there very often. I haven't ever been in, but I don't drink booze these days and pubs lost their appeal for me when I gave up! I'm happy to stop for a bite to eat on a ride, or to go out for a meal in the evening, but I don't like to spend hours in pubs these days the way that I used to.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Looks good as all the chevrons are going the same way... Not steep hills!!

You need to clean your specs... I count 8 going UP! :okay:

Not that you need to bother - you are fit enough to cope with them, no problem.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Please forgive me having a little rant. Don't worry, it isn't aimed at any of you...

**** *** ******* **** ** **** **********!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cursing:

Family stuff! :banghead:

There had been an agreement among my family members that our family gathering would take place late Feb/early Mar, but I have just been told that one group has unilaterally changed the dates and booked accommodation for the second week of Feb! Everybody else now has to change their plans to suit, and that will include the date of this ride...

I will now be spending the second weekend of Feb with my family so it is looking like this ride would have to be a week later, either Sat, 18th Feb or Sun the 19th. I hope that wouldn't stop any of you taking part?

If it turns out that there are rail strikes preventing me getting down in the second week of Feb then I would go back to our original ride plan and have to miss the Devon family get-together. (I would visit the Midland family members on my way home from Devon instead.)

Sorry!

Jameshow

Veteran
Please forgive me having a little rant. Don't worry, it isn't aimed at any of you...

**** *** ******* **** ** **** **********!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cursing:

Family stuff! :banghead:

There had been an agreement among my family members that our family gathering would take place late Feb/early Mar, but I have just been told that one group has unilaterally changed the dates and booked accommodation for the second week of Feb! Everybody else now has to change their plans to suit, and that will include the date of this ride...

I will now be spending the second weekend of Feb with my family so it is looking like this ride would have to be a week later, either Sat, 18th Feb or Sun the 19th. I hope that wouldn't stop any of you taking part?

If it turns out that there are rail strikes preventing me getting down in the second week of Feb then I would go back to our original ride plan and have to miss the Devon family get-together. (I would visit the Midland family members on my way home from Devon instead.)

Sorry!

Family!!!

Me too have Mil 70th party in August think it might clash with Leeds Liverpool canal race!😡😡😡

Top Bottom