England : Lancashire Forum ride from Whalley: Glasson Dock Revisited - POSTPONED to Sat,18th April 2015

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Sam can come if he's free but his Dad is going to be busy with an overseas visitor. By an odd coincidence it's my SA agent who has looked after me so royally whenever I've ridden the Cape Argus. He is definitely not a cyclist though!

It's probably time to sign up for the rescheduled ride [Saturday, 18th April, 2015], so post below - 'Definite' or 'Maybe'. I'll add the names I already know about ...

Definite:
  • ColinJ
  • Martin Archer

Maybe:
  • doughnut (Sailing)
  • Rickshaw Phil
Pleased to report that I'm now free on Saturday 18th so put me in as a definite Colin. Starting and finishing at Spring wood picnic site.

Colin. Next Saturday if you want a lift to Whalley and back after the ride I can take you and the bike. I don't often have the car on a Saturday but my other half doesn't need it at all that day. I've got a car bike carrier that holds 2 bikes. I'll be coming from Littleborough so could meet you at either Todmorden or Hebden Bridge at about 9 am. It'll save you faffing about with catcining a train to Accrington and then having to bike to Spring Wood.

Brian

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Colin. Next Saturday if you want a lift to Whalley and back after the ride I can take you and the bike. I don't often have the car on a Saturday but my other half doesn't need it at all that day. I've got a car bike carrier that holds 2 bikes. I'll be coming from Littleborough so could meet you at either Todmorden or Hebden Bridge at about 9 am. It'll save you faffing about with catcining a train to Accrington and then having to bike to Spring Wood.

Brian
Ooh, cheers for that kind offer - I'll take you up on that!

I'll cycle over to Tod to save you messing about coming up and down the main road. How about I meet you at the front of Wetherspoons (The White Hart) at 09:00? I'll set off from HB at 08:40. It might be a good idea to PM me your phone number just in case I get delayed by a puncture on the way to meet you. (I thought that I had it, but it doesn't seem to be on my ride phone.)

RIDERS:

Definite:
  • ColinJ
  • Martin Archer
  • Littgull
  • jazzkat
Maybe
  • Rickshaw Phil
  • Miscellaneous local cycling pals of ColinJ!

More riders welcome! Add your names below ...

Ooh, cheers for that kind offer - I'll take you up on that!

I'll cycle over to Tod to save you messing about coming up and down the main road. How about I meet you at the front of Wetherspoons (The White Hart) at 09:00? I'll set off from HB at 08:40. It might be a good idea to PM me your phone number just in case I get delayed by a puncture on the way to meet you. (I thought that I had it, but it doesn't seem to be on my ride phone.)

RIDERS:

Definite:
  • ColinJ
  • Martin Archer
  • Littgull
  • jazzkat
Maybe
  • Rickshaw Phil
  • Miscellaneous local cycling pals of ColinJ!

More riders welcome! Add your names below ...

No probs, Colin. That'll be fine I'll see you outside the White Hart at 9 am.

I'll PM you my phone number (I need to work out how to send a PM first though)

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

After your ride on the Saturday they can come and do mine on the Sunday, wonder who will get the better weather?
Well, the forecast is still looking pretty good for this one! A bit cool, and a headwind on the way back but nothing extreme. Should be good!

Forecast for 2015 Glasson Dock ride.gif

Your forecast is looking ok, but not quite as good.

Forecast for Apr 2015 Rutland forum ride.gif

I hope that both rides goes well, and I am sure that we would both welcome any last minute interest ...

BIG HINT!

Come on CCers - these rides are a lot of fun and are not too demanding. We won't be complaining about slow riders holding us up. I fully expect my 64 mile ride to take 8 hours including stops. Most people should be able to manage an 8 mph average overall? (Even assuming 1.6 hours of stops, that would only mean averaging 10 mph when riding.)

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Good news - I just got a call from one of the 2 female cycling pals who did THIS RIDE with me yesterday. They enjoyed it so much that they have decided to come along on Saturday. So, the list is now ...

Definite:
  • ColinJ
  • Martin Archer
  • Littgull
  • jazzkat
  • Carrie and Julie (not CC members)
Maybe
  • Rickshaw Phil
Only 9 more ride slots available***, so sign up now while you still can!

*** Unless more riders than that decide to turn up, in which case they would be welcomed anyway ... :okay:

I never bother with the dumbing down specifics of the Met Office forecasts, yesterday was a good case in point, forecast was for grey skies, some intermittent rain and max 12C, the reality was slightly different, wall to wall blue skies and it was 15C at 5pm so probably a bit higher earlier. Have another look at the forecast [and you can get 3 different ones depending on where you look] and the Met Office is now saying we will both have similar weather, 10 - 12C, 10 - 12mph winds from NE and not a lot of sun but staying dry. I'll bet the one you posted on Wed is different from the one they are predicting today.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Phil has just confirmed, so that will be 7 of us, unless there are last minute problems, or unexpected guest appearances!

I never bother with the dumbing down specifics of the Met Office forecasts, yesterday was a good case in point, forecast was for grey skies, some intermittent rain and max 12C, the reality was slightly different, wall to wall blue skies and it was 15C at 5pm so probably a bit higher earlier. Have another look at the forecast [and you can get 3 different ones depending on where you look] and the Met Office is now saying we will both have similar weather, 10 - 12C, 10 - 12mph winds from NE and not a lot of sun but staying dry. I'll bet the one you posted on Wed is different from the one they are predicting today.
I know not to trust these forecasts way in advance, but I have made certain observations, which incline me to trust this one.
  • The forecasts have all been good for tomorrow, for days now. That tells me that we have a stable weather system over us. That has been in line with what we have experienced here since Sunday night.
  • The good forecasts persist beyond Saturday for at least 6 or 7 days, so things are not likely to suddenly change.
  • The forecasts are good throughout the day so a few hours error would not make any major difference.
  • The forecasts are similarly good for Hebden Bridge, Clitheroe and Lancaster so 10 or 15 miles error in the forecast shouldn't make much difference either
  • Finally, and most importantly - I am trying to persuade people to do the ride so of course I am saying "Join us - good weather expected" rather than "The forecast is good, but don't trust it - it could be p*ssing it down all day"! :laugh:

Phil has just confirmed, so that will be 7 of us, unless there are last minute problems, or unexpected guest appearances!

I know not to trust these forecasts way in advance, but I have made certain observations, which incline me to trust this one.
  • The forecasts have all been good for tomorrow, for days now. That tells me that we have a stable weather system over us. That has been in line with what we have experienced here since Sunday night.
  • The good forecasts persist beyond Saturday for at least 6 or 7 days, so things are not likely to suddenly change.
  • The forecasts are good throughout the day so a few hours error would not make any major difference.
  • The forecasts are similarly good for Hebden Bridge, Clitheroe and Lancaster so 10 or 15 miles error in the forecast shouldn't make much difference either
  • Finally, and most importantly - I am trying to persuade people to do the ride so of course I am saying "Join us - good weather expected" rather than "The forecast is good, but don't trust it - it could be p*ssing it down all day"! :laugh:

Definitely looks very reliable for a decent day of weather due to all the factors Colin has mentioned. I reckon I'll still be wearing my jacket rather than a thin gilet over a top as the easterly head wind on the return leg is likely to be slightly nippy.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Definitely looks very reliable for a decent day of weather due to all the factors Colin has mentioned. I reckon I'll still be wearing my jacket rather than a thin gilet over a top as the easterly head wind on the return leg is likely to be slightly nippy.
I think it will be a nippy start and a nippy finish and fairly mild in between. I have decided to wear 3/4 length bibs, a long-sleeved base layer and top, and a gilet. I will take a buff, arm warmers and light overshoes in case it still feels a bit chilly.

The oddest thing o
I think it will be a nippy start and a nippy finish and fairly mild in between. I have decided to wear 3/4 length bibs, a long-sleeved base layer and top, and a gilet. I will take a buff, arm warmers and light overshoes in case it still feels a bit chilly.
Ha! just seen another forecast from Met Office, in their words "there is a change to the script on Sunday". Pratts.

Top Bottom