Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alex H

Legendary Member
Weather forecast is not clever for the next few days so a challenge today - Limoges!

Starting off in the sunshine, over the millpond flat Vienne at St Brice

P4140020.JPG

No Paris-Roubaix problems here ^_^

P4140021.JPG

A small detour into St-Yriex-sous-Aixe. This is the 11th century church.

P4140023.JPG

And this is the magnolia in the garden next door.

P4140024.JPG

The route Into Aixe-sur-Vienne is a PIA. The town is one long street following the river and has 4 sets of lights, cars parked along the road and is a main route for HGVs. So, I go through this riverside park before getting to the town and then through the back streets, which bypasses all of the pain. However, halfway through the park there is a 2m metal fence across the path. On the other side of the fence there is a notice, to the effect that there are works going on and no-one is allowed through. There was a bit of the fence missing so I could pass. This is typical of French civil works - they do the job, then leave the signs / barriers up for the next month :evil:

Stopped a while for refreshment in Aixe-sur-Viene

P4140027.JPG

Between Aixe and Limoges the road is wide flat and I was able to go along at 25km/hr with not much effort at all. So much so, I was catching up with a guy on a road bike :ohmy:. I noticed as I overtook :ohmy::ohmy: that it was a fixie :ohmy::ohmy::ohmy: - unheard of in these parts and a definite first for me (overtaking and fixed:laugh:)

When I arrived at Limoges I tried to follow the newly advertised path along the Vienne - it's OK, but there are stairs and bits where cycling is not allowed.

Managed to get far enough to take a photo of the cathedral.

P4140029.JPG

On the way back found this 'painting' of the pont Saint-Martial by Charles Bichet

P4140034.JPG

Returning to Aixe, I opted to go via Saint-Martin-le-Vieux, which was not a good idea as it was uphill most of the way.

Cross country to Séreilhac, brought me to this nice spot for lunch

P4140037.JPG

The dandelions are out in force
P4140038.JPG

Back via Cognac-la-Forêt, 95km in 4hr 40min to a well deserved beer ^_^

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
My husband was talking with a tree surgeon felling a batch of local elms which are all infected expect for one mature tree which has everyone really confused. It is the only one around here that is not infected and no-one knows why, so it is now being watched carefully and with much interest. Fingers crossed.
You mean all yours didn't die 50 or so years ago?

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I was supposed to ride the Spring Into The Dales audax on Sunday but the weather was horrid and I had spotted that today's forecast was much better so I decided to ride the route today instead. I invited a couple of cycling pals to join me (Carrie and Julie), and they brought along another rider, Kevin.

I climbed up to Cock Hill on the Keighley Road out of Hebden Bridge. The forecast was for sunshine later so I was wearing shorts, and had put sunblock on for the first time this year. It was actually overcast and chilly as I climbed, and a fairly strong wind was blowing. (The wind continued all day, sometimes hindering, sometimes helping, but the help never made up for the hindrance!) I soon stopped to put on a buff and arm warmers, which I had brought along in case they were needed. I kept them on for a couple of hours until the early cloud had burned off, leaving a lovely spring day. Except for that nagging wind ...:whistle:

I had arranged to meet the others at Oxenhope railway station, so that meant a slight diversion off the SITD route. We went round the eastern side of Penistone Hill, whereas the audax goes round the western side. We rejoined the official route at Stanbury and stuck to it for the rest of the day.

I soon realised that I was feeling very good indeed on the bike. It has been a long time since I have been able to talk while climbing, or sprint up short steep climbs.

I didn't take many photos today, but here is one of them:

Bleara Moor, above Earby
Ride partners on Bleara Moor above Earby.jpg

We made our way round to Gargrave where we bade farewell to Kevin. He has not got many miles in so far this year and felt that heading home to Bingley was probably the wise thing to do, after a cafe stop for himself at The Dalesman first. We continued without him, since our cafe stop was going to be at Burnsall.

We eventually got to Wharfe View tea rooms and had a very leisurely stop there. In fact, it was gone 3:30 pm by the time we left. I realised that meant that we would arrive at the built-up part of the route during the evening rush. 90% of the route is lovely and scenic, but there is a rather congested 12 km stretch from above Silsden through Keighley and up to Haworth Brow.

First things first - another photograph ...

Two fit birds***
Two fit birds outside Wharfe View Tea Rooms Burnsall.jpg

After some more lovely Wharfedale cycling, we crossed the Wharfe at Cavendish Pavilion. My pals disappeared off to the Ladies, and I took a picture of my lovely old Cannondale on the footbridge over the river while I waited ...

Cannondale at Cav Pav
ColinJs Cannondale on bridge over Wharfe at Cavendish Pavilion.jpg

More scenery, more steep hills ... I was doing really well and wondering when I would finally crack. In fact, I didn't! We left Julie in Keighley, and Carrie came up the hill as far as Haworth Brow, before turning off for home. I continued to Oxenhope and then set off up the last climb of the day back up to Cock Hill. It is not a superhard climb but it does average 6.6% for over 2 miles, and today there was a cross/headwind all the way up. I didn't crack, but for the first time all day my back started to ache and I was feeling uncomfortable on the saddle. Still, I only had to put up with it for about 20 minutes and then I had a nice 7.5 km descent back to Hebden Bridge to enjoy. The wind took the edge off my speed. I would normally do about 60 kph all the way down but it was more like 40 this evening.

It had been a very satisfying day out on the bike, and I am hoping for even better things to come!

Oh yes - 114 km (71 miles) with about 2,250 m (7,500 ft) of climbing, some very steep.

PS *** That caption was not my idea! The 2 women got into a giggling fit and decided that I should make a pun about them and the ducks ...

Easy ride in today but nice in the morning sun;

https://www.strava.com/activities/285708866

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
I was knocked off my bike last night as i was doing the last few miles of what was supposed to be a 25 mile ride. I managed 20 then bang!:sad:
Sorry to hear that mate . Hope everythings ok .

My rides this morning where a bit of fun .
This morning I was up at @ 6am and as I have my first TT a week today I thought I best go back to having one coffee and then hit the park for a lap . Now the kids are back at school the traffic is bumper to bumper very early and as I was on the TT bike I decided to join the traffic rather than try and filter . Its not a filtering type bike . Anyhow I joined behind a bus but the guy behind me didn't like that at all :wacko: He then found the use of his horn and started using it for no reason as the traffic was going no where fast . Once we got moving again he finally past me with his passenger window down but I think my face showed him that I didn't get up at 6am to put up with shoot from him and he didn't say anything :laugh: I passed him a short time later and the window was back up with driver staring dead ahead :rolleyes:
I didn't really enjoy the traffic to and from the park so other than getting up even earlier :blink: I think I may need another plan .
The second part of my ride was to go and feed my chickens so I swap bikes and tootle off down to the allotment .
I have two groups separated by a door so they don't fight but this morning my cockerel decided he was having the other one and as soon as I opened the door he was in . Cockerel number 2 is a wimp and decided to find a hiding place and chose the top of my head as the best place to do so . Cockerel no1 was having none of that and also decided that the top of my head would be a good place to have a fight . :ohmy: Luckily I was wearing a baseball cap because it really kicked off ........ on the top of my head .....
Still , after the shock of it happening so fast and cream smeared all over my neck and arms from the scratches I can see the funny side :biggrin:

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Just back from a quick hop to the hospital to meet Hubster from dialysis.
The sun was shining and I have got so much energy that I don't know what to do with it, so I went the pretty route and incorporated yesterday's route. I got to the top roundabout, near the hospital a touch early so I did a quick whizz around my "I've got a bit time" Eaton/Cringleford loop. It's a smidgette over 2 miles so perfect for when I'm 10 minutes early and don't want to stand about, in lycra, at the side of the road waiting for Hubs.

Brilliant ride. Just grabbed a quick protein shake (banana with added kale - gorgeous) and off to walk a client's dogs.

15.62 miles in an hour and 7 mins so average moving of 13.9, so fitness is on it's way at long last. Woo hoo!! Bring on the summer now. Feeling pretty darn good (until it rains again, obviously)

BSRU

A Human Being
I was going to give my legs a rest after two days of cycling but it was such a beautiful morning it would have been a shame to waste it:sun:.
Plus I needed to burn of all that cherry madeira cake I ate last night:blush:, so this mornings ride was cake powered:okay:.
So 69km with 810m of going up with lots of sweat on the two long climbs I had to do:sweat::sweat:.
C0006(1).jpg

Got home and finished off what was left of the cherry madeira cake to fix my bodies cake deficit^_^.

mooseracer

Guru
Chickened out of finding anything like a hill on today's lunchtime ride, instead I took the newly fettled best bike out for a spin. It was the first time I've been on this bike since doing my hip and it was interesting to feel just how little power I have on anything that remotely resembles going up (for interesting read depressing!). Didn't have the blind panic about being clipped in that I did when on the winter bike which is good, just a very wobbly leg everytime I stopped and unclipped.

Still, it was lovely to be out in this weather and I'm looking forward to slowly building up the distance.

https://www.strava.com/activities/285817622

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Last nights little jaunt to test rack secureness was not without meaning. Today I intended to attempt my longest every ride, and my first 50 imperial miles. I was in no hurry, but as I wanted to spend some time around the lake at Virginia Water I was out by 0800. I went stocked for 4-5 hours with 3 bottles, lunch, Haribo's, cereal bar, and started in a jacket! As soon as I reached Virginia Water lake the jacket was packed into the pannier bag, but the trousers stayed the whole ride, never quite felt hot enough to warrant unzipping them down to shorts.
A steady start with a couple of laps of the , pausing for a photo. We used to ride across this bit as teenagers on our MTB's..
15 Apr 2015 VW Lake.jpg

After a couple of laps it started to get a bit busier, so I did a couple of shorter laps around the Polo Club & Savill Garden before heading out to the 'other side' of the park. By now I'd done 20 miles, so stopped at the Jubilee horse, the shade was welcome and another photo whilst I had cereal bar. Really clear day today, Windsor Castle in the distance.
15 Apr 2015 Windsor Castle From Jubilee Horse.jpg

Decision time from here, it was either into Windsor and the river Thames towpath (flat), or the other way towards Ascot (not flat). I went the not flat way, simply because I'd done the river earlier this week. Out through Sunninghill is a nice pedal, and from there through Windlesham, Chobham and into Chertsey. By now it was near midday, and I was looking out for a lunch spot. Homewood Park sits just behind St Peters Hospital in Chertsey, and whilst I drive/ride by it regularly, I've never been in. Little explore found a lovely park with nature trail, all around a mansion. So, I found a bench in the shade, and out came the lunch box...
15 Apr 2015 Cyclists Luncheon.jpg

A wonderful place to eat lunch, in the shade, and admiring Bottleys Mansion.
15 Apr 2015 Bottleys Mansion.jpg

Garmin said 43 miles at this point, so I headed homewards through Lyne, ended up having to put a little extra loop on to hit the 50.
50.5 miles:wahhey::wahhey:

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
Glorious day for a ride today. Met my riding buddy at the end of our road at 11 am and headed out of Braunton up the A361 towards Ilfracombe. Turned right at Mullacott roundabout and carried on up to 'On a Hill' garage. Back down the Muddiford road to Barnstaple and on to the Bike Shed cafe for coffee and bagels. Quick dash back along the Tarka Trail and around Braunton Marshes and back home.
26 miles, 1300 feet of elevation and 15.1 mph average. Several PRs set along the way including a new fastest time back from Barnstaple to Braunton...... and it was into a headwind!
The more I ride my Focus Cayo, the more I like it.:okay:

Last edited:
Top Bottom