Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Old Plodder

Living at the top of a steep 2 mile climb
Some of you may remember when I used to ride my bike & post on here......:smile:
I actually made it out of the back gate with my bike this morning....for all of 8 1/2 miles. ( :sad: )
Hope my enthusiasm will return this time.
(Must be close on a year ago now since I was last out on my bike.)
Unfortunately, the hills are still out there to hinder my progress. :laugh:

mooseracer

Guru
Out for a lunchtime ride on my MTB, it's definitely getting easier after a few rides now....I might even find a hill to attempt tomorrow.

https://www.strava.com/activities/285160942

Saluki

World class procrastinator
I rode a route, that I took about 10 days ago. The first ride this year on my roadie that one was. Well, as I am awaiting tyres as those Conties are a PITA, I took Eric the CX and Hubster on his Whyte.
We took a steady amble along Bluebell, through Eaton and off to Hethersett, before turning for Ketteringham and then to East Carleton (Where @StickBouncer of this parish got his Giant nicked from this lunchtime) past Colin Chapman's abode (when he was alive) and then back via Intwood, Eaton (again) then past the hospital and across the UEA grounds, up Chancellor Drive, which I swear is getting easier. I'm enjoying this hilly climbing malarkey now, very strange. It's not nearly as hard work as it was a couple of stone ago.
From there, it was a mile home and in for a cuppa.

First ride out with shorts on. Proper bib shorts mind, not 3/4 length. 16.55 miles in an hour and 25. Hubster did really well and kept up, although I didn't hurry and I did wait at the top of a couple of hills. There was only 400' of climbing but I still waited at the top. I can honestly say that I am enjoying the undulations more and no longer view them with dread and horror. I'm not a proper convert, or I'd move to somewhere lumpier, but they are not so hideous now.

One of very few mature elms that survive hereabouts. This one in blossom. These are such beautiful trees, losing most of them was nothing short of catastrophic.

Great to have the daylight for these post- work rides now. Hopefully a long summer of such things lies ahead.

My husband was talking with a tree surgeon felling a batch of local elms which are all infected expect for one mature tree which has everyone really confused. It is the only one around here that is not infected and no-one knows why, so it is now being watched carefully and with much interest. Fingers crossed.

My ride was the local loop. It was meant to have been this morning, but the builder my landlady uses didn't turn up (surprise surprise) so my 2pm I gave up and went out because the weather was just too good and I haven't ridden since I aborted a ride in Sunday (too painful). So dosed up on my pain meds and spares (needed) with me, I set out in to some lovely Cheshire lanes that were alive with bees, birds and butterflies! The place seems to have gone green since the weekend... or at least started to. Flowering cherries are now in full bloom, other trees are following suit and along a single track lane I played tag with the postie. I had first met him at home, but caught him in the worst possible place.as is all the way.

At 4pm I have to stop to take steroids (medical condition requires it) so having found a suitable spot, I was happily minding my own business when someone whistled to me to get my attention... another cyclist only on a road trike! There appears to be more than just me in this area on a trike! Once underway again a few roadies (on bicycles) caught me and pulled up along side for a chat as well... And there is a car driver who is constantly saying hello and waving to me.... it has to be someone I know but I have no idea who yet! I met them again today :biggrin:

From there it was quiet until almost the very end when I went left off a slightly busier B road onto a country lane to be confronted by a runaway horse on my side of the lane. Needless to say confronted by something else unknown it stopped dead in its tracks terminating the issues for the slightly ruffled rider! :eek:

So all in all a quiet (except for one moment) ride and a somewhat faster than normal one - not sure what went wrong there, but 15.8 miles in under 2 hours ride time has me at 8.1 mph! I appear to be getting faster! :dry: this is not on... :giggle:
https://www.strava.com/activities/285273988

Edit: Did I mention I had to break out the suncream? No... well I did... and it was short sleeves as well! It could be getting towards... summer soon you know ;)

Last edited:

Hugh Manatee

Veteran
My first ride since well before Easter. I had the lurgey and have had no strength for weeks. So out I went in some truly lovely spring weather.

With the three missing chain ring bolts replaced I thought I had seen the end of very loud gears. No such luck! A horrible grinding noise in all the gears when in the small chain ring. The noise goes as soon as the big ring is selected. It looks like the chain comes off the bottom jockey wheel and stays off until the chain tightens.

Then I managed to break a spoke in the strongest wheels I have ever had. Apart from all that it was a lovely ride with the lambs jumping and leaping in the fields!

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
Pleasant 20-miler on Sunday starting and ending at Bix, based on the Thames Valley "On Your Bike" rides book. Very pleased that my tourer made it up a rather steep and rocky bit of the Oxfordshire Way, with the reward of nice views at the top from Maidensgrove and Cookley Green.

Even more pleasing was that 75% of the ride appeared to be with a following wind (usually seems to be the other way round). :smile:

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
20150414_171908.jpg

Rude not to. 25 mile extended commute....

OP
OP
gbb

gbb

Legendary Member
I wanted to ride yesterday but bottled it a bit, plus the wife said she'd go see the granddaughters while I was out..sod that, I'm coming too :wub:..so no ride.
Home today, suns shining..out we go then.
Just 55 minutes as hard as i could. Pleasantly surprised i could maintain some speed over 5 or 6 miles, cope somewhat with hills (well Inclines anyway) and best of all, climbed off the bike NOT red faced and knackered, recovery is quicker, noticably so.
Only maybe 14 or 15 miles.
Notables...one humungous red kite, not far from home. Just put the bike in the shed..punctured. :laugh:

Top Bottom