Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
Last nights little jaunt to test rack secureness was not without meaning. Today I intended to attempt my longest every ride, and my first 50 imperial miles. I was in no hurry, but as I wanted to spend some time around the lake at Virginia Water I was out by 0800. I went stocked for 4-5 hours with 3 bottles, lunch, Haribo's, cereal bar, and started in a jacket! As soon as I reached Virginia Water lake the jacket was packed into the pannier bag, but the trousers stayed the whole ride, never quite felt hot enough to warrant unzipping them down to shorts.
A steady start with a couple of laps of the , pausing for a photo. We used to ride across this bit as teenagers on our MTB's..
View attachment 85717
After a couple of laps it started to get a bit busier, so I did a couple of shorter laps around the Polo Club & Savill Garden before heading out to the 'other side' of the park. By now I'd done 20 miles, so stopped at the Jubilee horse, the shade was welcome and another photo whilst I had cereal bar. Really clear day today, Windsor Castle in the distance.
View attachment 85718
Decision time from here, it was either into Windsor and the river Thames towpath (flat), or the other way towards Ascot (not flat). I went the not flat way, simply because I'd done the river earlier this week. Out through Sunninghill is a nice pedal, and from there through Windlesham, Chobham and into Chertsey. By now it was near midday, and I was looking out for a lunch spot. Homewood Park sits just behind St Peters Hospital in Chertsey, and whilst I drive/ride by it regularly, I've never been in. Little explore found a lovely park with nature trail, all around a mansion. So, I found a bench in the shade, and out came the lunch box...
View attachment 85720
A wonderful place to eat lunch, in the shade, and admiring Bottleys Mansion.
View attachment 85721
Garmin said 43 miles at this point, so I headed homewards through Lyne, ended up having to put a little extra loop on to hit the 50.
50.5 miles:wahhey::wahhey:
Although often riding out into the Surrey hills I have never ventured into that part of the world .
Do you have the garmin map or strava route so I can see please ?

Old Plodder

Living at the top of a steep 2 mile climb
....... Today I intended to attempt my longest every ride, and my first 50 imperial miles
........Garmin said 43 miles at this point, so I headed homewards through Lyne, ended up having to put a little extra loop on to hit the 50.
50.5 miles:wahhey::wahhey:
Well done, been a long time coming, with the setbacks, glad you've finally managed it.

P.S. A like for the lunch box too. :smile:

mybike

Grumblin at Garmin on the Granny Gear
I've wanted to do a 10 mile ride but not quite reached it, tho' Monday I probably did do a total of 10miles (we shall see when I download the Garmin). So today, when it started bright & sunny I thought, today's the day. Sadly it then went overcast & drizzly. Did someone say something about a heatwave?

Anyway, after lunch I decided that unless I got out I'd never do it. So waterproof on & faith in the fact that it had turned dry, I went out.

Of course, it started to rain as soon as I was out on the prom, with a wind coming off the sea. you can cycle about 3 miles east so I decided to do that, past the diggers returning the windblown sand to the sea, their drivers cosy in their cabs. One grandad commented that he'd chosen the wrong day to bring the children to the beach, I commented that I'd chosen the wrong day too, but at least the wind wasn't as strong as it had been.

With the weather as it is, there was no point in taking photos, & it was too cold to stop anyway. So I got to the end of the prom, to meet a mother, well wrapped up, bringing her child up from the beach.

Thankfully the diggers had departed when I returned tho' there were still a few hardy souls, amongst them a runner with a pirate headscarf, arr Jim lad, running the other way. So on past my entry point to the prom, on toward the town & the dug up part of the prom. I then cycled for a bit along the road, until I could rejoin the prom beyond the promworks(?). On past the lifeboat station, past the sadly empty amusements/cafe and the car park (who builds a carpark on a prom below the high tide level?) to yet more 'promworks' where I turned round.

So back the way I had come, the wind seems to have shifted, passing the pirate runner until I'm nearly back but still short of the 10 miles. Ah well, a short trip around the back roads to see to that & return just before the OH.

Most of the cycling as a youngster was done around the back roads around my home on a concrete surface. The back roads around here are a similar surface (at a guess laid about the same time). It's interesting how much smoother tarmac can be, although some here has ripples in it that make it quite unpleasant.

Total ~11 miles, avg speed 8.5mph

deleteme.gif

deleteme.jpg

Last edited:
Today's ride was one where the weather was the most interesting part really. The weather front coming in meeting the welsh hills (?) was causing some interesting cloud formations that I have only seen a few times before, so I was pretty much keeping my eye on them rather than really paying much attention to what was going on anywhere else...

IMG_2732.JPG

And today was another day of, it's better behind me!

IMG_2739.JPG
interesting cloud formations but not the ones I'm interested in.

IMG_2748.JPG

A little brute of a climb, one that looks nothing but has a good bite to it! +10% is not what my legs need at the moment!

IMG_2750.JPG

Some of the cloud patterns today.
https://www.strava.com/activities/285820081
15.8 miles and again under 2 hours! My average is slowly creeping up!

Goonerobes

Its okay to be white
At the risk of boring everyone with the New Forest I managed to find the time for another ride on this rather warm & sunny afternoon.

Hitting the northern tip of the forest today, I did a reverse of a route I've only done a couple of times which takes in the pretty little villages of Woodgreen & Hale on mainly narrow twisting roads before heading back through my regular haunts of Redlynch, Hampworth & Landford.

Only 34 miles but a very warm 34 miles. :sun:https://www.strava.com/activities/285882173

025.JPG

A Palladian style Georgian Mansion sits at the end of this most impressive drive.

024.JPG

I must have just photographed this little fella in between barks as he didn't stop yapping at me when I stopped for the mansion picture & he even chased me up the road barking too, little sod!

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Some how the view behind usually seems better than the one in front. I may have to consider doing my route in reverse one day and seeing if the same holds true!
I did one of my loops in reverse today, realising I'd never done it the opposite way around, and it felt odd but I did notice a few different things, however I think I'll do it the normal way next time!

13 rider

Guru
Having spent last night fettling the bike and adjusting front derailleur as it didn't like changing down to bottom ring .Home from work sun shining so out with the bike for a quick test run .Left home as two guys on roadies crested the hill about 200 yards away heading my way so set off a quick pace to see how long I could hold them off.Through Newtown Linford still no pass turned onto Ulverscroft lane and they were closing in hit the first climb and they got to within 20 yards .So competive me dropped a couple off gears and spun my legs accelerated up the hill crested the climb going away from them . passed the turning for Pollybotts lane and they swung left up Pollybotts . I went straight on to Priory lane and swung left up to the crossroads at the top of Pollybotts where the two guys were stopped .pulled over and had a nice chat and a laugh about the racing .Quick descent of Pollybotts and retraced the route back home 7.5miles done at an average of 14 mph which is quick for me with a bit of climbing . Gears working better than they have for weeks I seem to getting the hang of the mechanicals now.

Last edited:

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Having spent last night fettling the bike and adjusting front derailleur as it didn't like changing down to bottom ring .Home from work sun shining so out with the bike for a quick text run .Left home as two guys on roadies crested the hill about 200 yards away heading my way so set off a quick pace to see how long I could hold them off.Through Newtown Linford still no pass turned onto Ulverscroft lane and they were closing in hit the first climb and they got to within 20 yards .So competive me dropped a couple off gears and spun my legs accelerated up the hill crested the going away from them . passed the turning for Pollybotts lane and they swung left up Pollybotts . I went straight on to Priory lane and swung left up to the crossroads at the top of Pollybotts where the two guys were stopped .pulled over and had a nice chat and a laugh about the racing .Quick descent of Pollybotts and retraced the route back home 7.5miles done at an average of 14 mph which is quick for me with a bit of climbing . Gears working better than they have for weeks I seem to getting the hang of the mechanicals now.

Have you done Pollybotts yet? It is the hill that a few of the clubs use for their climbing competitions.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
7.2 miles again today, usual course, the important and invigorating factor being the wind, 30 mph from the east. A good and challenging ride, as my downhill segments required pedaling more so than usual, just to keep going forward. Some weed control being done today, both in the field and at Gravity Manor, where the first grass cutting of the year was accompanied by the ceremonial unwinding of the Great Electric Cord.

Nice lumpy 40 miles after work today. I did what I call the Tour de EK which is basically a circuit of East Kilbride using lanes and minor roads. The sun was out but this was a stiff westerly breeze and it was quite chilly. In fact I was wishing I'd put overshoes or thicker socks on as my feet were Baltic. Quite a few other cyclists out enjoying the lighter evenings.
Last ride to and from work tomorrow before I go to Mallorca on Saturday for 10 days cycling including the Mallorca 312

Ride here
http://app.strava.com/activities/286134702

Top Bottom