Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
20 miles with Mrs Paul today. Flaaaaming windy. We originally set out to do 30 miles but we cut it short as the constant headwind got a bit much.

Mrs Paul in full flow!

IMG_20150412_151422.jpg

Ron-da-Valli

It's a bleedin' miracle!
Merseyside CTC Early Season Tourist trial. 63 mile ride around Cheshire's finest windiest lanes! The first 33 miles were into the teeth of an almighty headwind. For part of the ride back we actually freewheeled a few stretches with the wind behind us ( we had beans on toast for lunch!)

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Rode a very worthwhile charity ride organsed by Eastgate Cycles today, called the "Paris-Roubaix 2015 Rob Willmott Memorial Ride". Rode it with @Dark46 and an Eastgate/Kingsway regular called Dean, and went around in the slowest group comprising (so far as I could tell) almost exclusively of miscellaneous Steves. (Well that's what I called them all, anyway).

To fit with the Paris-Roubaix theme, some of us rode to and from the Start/Finish venue over Gloucester's only cobbles, and the 60 mile main event took in as many rough tracks and stoney paths as possible. The route winded out in a big clockwise loop from Gloucester, taking in the outskirts of Newent, the centre of Ledbury (Herefordshire), the southern end of the Malvern Hills (Worcestershire) and back along the Severn flood plain from near Tewkesbury to Gloucester. They threw in a particularly sadistic little hill up the Woolridge at the 57 mile mark.:evil:

Of about 70 riders, I dragged my sorry ass in almost last of all, but I was actually quite happy with 5 hours 15 mins for a quite hilly 60 miler with plenty of stops..In my case, I was carrying a knock from as early as the first mile, where I struck my left kneecap hard against a metal barrier on a cycleway down near the Severn. They put these ridiculous narrow metal gates (that resemble turnstiles) to deter motorcyclists (or for traffic calming of cyclists). The one I hit didn't calm me much. :angry:

Then, at the furthest point from Gloucester (about 37 miles in), in the Malvern Hills at Hollybush, just as I arrived at the feeding station, I felt my saddle wobble a tiny bit. Once I'd wolfed down a most delicious flapjack I took a peak at the damage. Found to my horror that I'd completely sheared one half of the saddle clamp, which was now in 2 parts, and the saddle came away in my hands:ohmy:. This would normally have been a game ender, but fortunately Dean is a most useful fellow, being an engineer by trade. Somehow, using fewer parts, and turning them upside down , he helped me to bodge it back together in serviceable fashion. What a hero, Dean. I managed to complete the last 25 miles by keeping my weight off the saddle every time I hit a hill or a bumpy section of road, and when freewheeling down hills I hovered just above the saddle riding it like Frankie Dettori. The last 15 miles or so were straight into a vicious headwind, and were a bit of an ordeal. I gave @Dark46 a bit of shelter, and we both hung back to help one of the miscellaneous Steves back to the finish. Lovely bowls of Flemish Stew and chips were consumed by all at the Coach & Horses at the end, before I slunk home to watch the real Paris-Roubaix, feeling like I'd just been in it.

64.8 quite hilly and blustery miles in all today. My knee is now aching like mad, and I can hardly walk ..... but I'm really glad I was able to complete this one, as it is my April effort towards the Metric Century-a-Month Challenge. That's 4 down, and 8 still to go. :eek:. Man, it's tough! Respect to some of the other challengers, who just keep reeling out spare century rides week after week...... I'm doing 12 and that's it!
Cheers, Donger.

Last edited:

Katherine

Guru
48 miles, joined the Chorlton Wanderers ride again. To Mobberley via Wythenshawe, Hale Barns, Ashley, Tatton Park and Knutsford. Lunch at the Railway Inn in Mobberley. Back to Chorlton Water Park via Style, past Manchester Airport, Gatley and through Northenden.
What a contrast from my last ride on Thursday, in shorts, T-shirt and summer socks, today I was back in 2 pairs of thick socks and over shoes, winter trousers and 3 layers on top! Hard work into the wind this morning and a wet ride home this afternoon.
Saw a large herd of deer in the distance in Tatton Park, which was surprisingly busy, but I was concentrating on not being blown off my bike!

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
7.2 miles the distance today, as rain was threatening the otherwise placid prairie. Gusty winds, and a bit of early season agriculture(pre-emergent herbicide being sprayed in the fields, it appeared from a distance). Putting the Specialized through a few paces today, and a couple of personal bests on Strava, nothing near a KOM yet. Getting all ready for the Spring Metric Century in June.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
My ride today actually happened last Friday.. Due to family stuff, ie, a Christening down in Somersetshire for the weekend, I haven't had the chance to post it.

Just a ride into town to pick a few bits and pieces up before a weekend away. A jacket and a couple of pairs of jogging bottoms were needed.

DSC_0779.JPG

The dredgers were still at work, though I don't think this boat will ever get back in to the navigable section of the river..

DSC_0777.JPG

When in the town, I noticed a shop I've not seen before. I've been in Blenders to get fresh ground coffee before, but will certainly find time when next I pass to grab some goodies at the St Giles Cheese!!

Luckily I took my larger rucksack as, on the way back home along the riverside, I ended up filling the remaining space with willow chippings where the chaps have been coppicing the trees lining the river Nene :okay:
As I had a few minutes to spare, I called into No.1 daughter's house to say hello and give my granddaughter a skydiver/parachute toy I'd got for a couple of quid when I bought my jacket. She was well impressed with it. (Easily pleased at 7 yrs old..)

As I had to get home for lunch and w*rk, I ended up on just under 16 miles and would have really liked to get some more miles in, but it wasn't to be.

https://www.strava.com/activities/282568730

:smile:

Last edited:

Archeress

Veteran
Got out again today, doing the little 11mile loop. I took the road bike this time and rode a bit quicker. Despite the Mio computer showing an average of 14.2mph, Strava seems to have decided to take 0.5mph off the average :cursing:. Still the light side of the ride was seeing one of my friends again and this time I had an apple and a small penknife with me. My friend very much enjoyed the apple.

IMG_0383.JPG

Ride is here: https://www.strava.com/activities/284524171/overview

Hugs
Archeress x

BSRU

A Human Being
A 107km ride with just 900m of going up this morning. Had to put my front light back on before I left as it was dark and gloomy, improved to just being overcast eventually.
About 90km on new roads for me, down to Lacock Abbey then up to Malmesbury before heading back to Swindon.

Riding down to Lacock.
C0022(1).jpg

I thought this was an air traffic control tower from a distance, turned out to be a water tower.
C0023(1).jpg

A church in Purton.
C0012(1).jpg

No cake at home so just had to make do with fruit shortcake and Nice biscuits:angel:.

Top Bottom