England : Lancashire Forum ride from Whalley: Glasson Dock Revisited - POSTPONED to Sat,18th April 2015

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
As promised, I am planning a rerun of last year's 103 km ride to Glasson Dock from Whalley, and back. The 2014 ride was my first forum ride after a long illness and numerous CycleChatters turned out to make it a very special one for me.

This year's ride will take place on Saturday, 28th March, 18th April 2015, once again leaving Spring Wood, Whalley at 10:00. (Date change due to bad weather.)

I don't expect that there will be anywhere near the 50-odd riders we got last year, but it would be good to get enough to form decent-sized faster and slower groups. If only a few turn out, we should all stick together and ride at the speed of the slowest rider. The ride is not suitable for absolute beginners. It will involve one big climb and several smaller ones, some steep. 103 kms is about 64 miles, so you should probably be ok if you have tackled a hilly ride of at least 65 km/40 miles and not collapsed at the end of it!

Most of the details of the ride will be exactly the same as last year's so I have copy and pasted them below to save you having to refer to the old thread.

YOU HAVE A CHOICE OF RIDING 103 KM OR 107 MILES! (I am not sure if I will be doing the extra distance, but I will give you the details in case any of you fancy it.)

The main loop is a 'long' metric century starting from Spring Wood picnic centre above Whalley and taking in the glorious Trough of Bowland. From the summit, it is mainly downhill to our cafe stop at Glasson Dock on the Lune estuary. We will return to Whalley via Longridge, Ribchester and Billington.

If you fancy doing a 'long' imperial century, there will be an earlier start from Hebden Bridge to Spring Wood, and back again at the end of the day.

Here is the profile. The 103 km loop is the big bit in the middle. I have tacked on the rides from HB to Spring Wood and Spring Wood to HB. (The extra bits go via the Padiham Greenway, and the Old Roman Road via Read to avoid the busy, less scenic "Devil's Elbow" though we could take the main road if we wanted to.)

Trough of Bowland forum ride 28-3-15.gif

Here is a small scale map of the route:

emergency-map-trough-forum-ride-29-3-14-gif.36018.gif

For those of you with GPS devices, I have created 3 GPX files. The OUTWARD LEG (Spring Wood - Trough of Bowland - Glasson Dock), the RETURN LEG (Glasson Dock - Longridge - Spring Wood), and the two linked together into COMBINED ROUTE FILE (Spring Wood - Trough of Bowland - Glasson Dock - Longridge - Spring Wood). Links to the files are attached to this post.

PS I have now added a 4th GPX file, for the second half of the ride from Hebden Bridge to Whalley, starting at the traffic lights at Manchester Rd/A646. (To get to Manchester Rd, follow the A646 from HB to Todmorden, right at the mini-roundabout in Tod, eventually straight across at the junction with Bacup Rd and climb through Habergham Eaves to the TL at Manchester Rd.)

We come back 7.5 km along the outward leg after the cafe stop and that might look a bit confusing on your GPS screen if you try using a file for the full ride so you have the option of switching smaller files at the cafe stop, which is what I will do.

NB These are very detailed tracks which enable you to work out accurate distance and elevation data. I know from past experience that many GPS devices 'choke' on GPX files containing that many points so I highly recommend that you check that your device is okay with the files. If it isn't, you will have to use my files as a guide and plot simpler tracks just showing the turns using your mapping software or route mapping websites.

ColinJ Glasson Dock forum ride 18/4/2015 routesheet:

SO = straight on
TL = traffic lights
O = roundabout
LHS = lefthand side
RHS = righthand side
L = left
R = right
BL = bear left
BR = bear right
sp = signposted

WHALLEY to GLASSON DOCK

Start SPRING WOOD picnic centre car park, A671, above Whalley
SO TL, descend hill
R at mini-O in WHALLEY at 0.8 km
L on B6246 at mini-O at 1.1 km
R at T at 5.4 km (sp Trough of Bowland)
SO (BL) at 6.5 km (sp Trough of Bowland)
SO at X at 7.9 km (sp Trough of Bowland)
SO at 9.4 km (sp Trough of Bowland)
SO at BASHALL EAVES at 10.2 km
Continue gradual climb to COW ARK at 13.6 km
BL and descend to Lees
R at T at 15.4 km (sp Trough of Bowland)
Stay on that road through WHITEWELL to Dunsop Bridge
SO at DUNSOP BRIDGE at 22.3 km (sp Trough of Bowland)
Ride glorious TROUGH OF BOWLAND & assemble at summit at 27.2 km for group photo
L sp Scorton at 31.5 km *** DO NOT RIDE PAST THIS TURN - EASY TO DO! ***
SO at 33.8 km
BL at 38.2 km
R at 38.7 km sp Bay Horse/Galgate
SO at X at 39.5 km sp Bay Horse/Galgate
SO at X at 40.6 km
SO at X at 41.1 km
SO at X at 42.4 km
SO at 43 km sp Galgate/Lancaster
BL under M6 at 44 km
Cross A6 SO at TL at 44.7 km in GALGATE
**CAUTION** s-bend under viaduct at 44.9 km!
BL at T at 45 km
Stay on that road until L on A588 at 48 km
Almost Immediate R sp Glasson Dock
SO at mini-O at 49.2 km
L at 49.7 km in GLASSON DOCK
Cafe stop at Lantern O'er Lune on RHS at 49.8 km

GLASSON DOCK TO WHALLEY

(Back the way we came, through GALGATE as far as FIVE LANE ENDS)

Distances from Glasson Dock cafe (Reset trip distance after cafe, otherwise
add 49.8 km to all distances below)

Back over bridge from cafe in GLASSON DOCK
R at T at 0.1 km
SO at mini-O at 0.6 km
L at onto A588 at 1.7 km
Immediate R at 1.8 km
Stay on that road until R at T at 4.8 km
**CAUTION** s-bend under viaduct at 4.9 km
SO A6 X-TL in GALGATE at 5.1 km
Continue under M6 to FIVE LANE ENDS, R at X at 7.4 km sp Bay Horse
L at T at 8.5 km sp Dolphinholme
SO at 9.0 km
SO at 10.5 km
L at T at 11.1 km
SO at T at 11.5 km
Over M6 at 12.6 km
R at T at 12.7 km
Back over M6 at 13.7 km
SO at X in SCORTON at 14.4 km
[Alternative cafe stop The Barn on R at 14.5 km]
L at T (before bridge) at 16.0 km
BL at 18.1 km
Back over M6 again(!) at 18.3 km
SO at 18.5 km
BR at 19.0 km
SO at 19.2 km
BL at 19.4 km
R at T on bend at 20.7 km
SO (BL) at T on bend at 21.3 km
SO at T at 21.9 km
SO (BR) at T at 22.1 km
BR sp Preston at 22.6 km
L at T at 23.2 km
BL at T at 24.2 km
BR at T at 25.0 km sp Beacon Fell Country Park
L at T at 26.7 km
SO at T at 27.6 km
SO at INGLEWHITE at 28.6 km
SO (BL) at T at 29.9 km
SO at X at 30.3 km
BR at T on bend at 31.0 km
SO at X at 32.0 km
SO (BR) at T on bend in LONGRIDGE at 35.2 km
SO at mini-O at 35.5 km
L at mini-O at 35.7 km
SO at mini-O at 36.1 km
L at T at 36.4 km
NB Toilets on LHS after turn may be open
BR downhill at White Bull at 36.5 km
Good 5.3 km main road descent to RIBCHESTER at 42.0 km
Stay on that road through the village and cross the R.Ribble at 43.3km
Immediate L onto lane after bridge sp for cyclists
STING IN THE TAIL a.k.a. ** ENGAGE GROVELLING GEAR NOW ** at 44.7 km
SO at T at 46.3 km
L at T at 47.2 km sp Brockhall Village
SO at T at 47.9 km
BR at 49.2 km
Climb over A59 at 50.4 km
L at mini-O in BILLINGTON at 50.8 km
Follow main road to WHALLEY at 52.6 km
R at mini-O and attack Col de Spring Wood if you have the energy & inclination!
Cross A671 at TL at X at 53.3 km to SPRING WOOD car park

If you want to do the full 107 miles, meet at Market Place car park, Hebden Bridge [MAP] by 07:30 with a view to setting off at 07:45 sharp. If you are late, we will have already set off so chase us on the A646 towards Burnley and Padiham. You would have about 15 miles to catch us before we turn off onto the Padiham Greenway at Rose Grove. [ETA Rose Grove 08:55ish] I WILL LET YOU KNOW LATER IF I INTEND TO DO THIS EXTRA RIDING!

If you are just doing the main 103 km loop, meet at Spring Wood picnic centre car park off the A671 above Whalley [MAP] by 09:40 with a view to setting off at 10:00 sharp. If you are late, we will have already set off so chase after us using your GPS/Map/Routesheet for guidance.

PS Usual CycleChat forum ride rules apply - nobody left behind (IF YOU SET OFF WITH US!), wait at the top of hills for others in your group. The rides are not fast and are more about chatting, laughing and scenery, so don't come if you are desperate to average more than (say) 10-12 mph. I guess that the 103 km loop will take 5-7 hours and HB to Whalley about 2 hours each way but it depends on the speed of the slowest rider.

I would like at least one other rider (preferably 2 or more!) with a reliable GPS to help me keep the riders on track. Previous editions of the ride were quite popular and it is better to have someone at the front and the back who know the route in case gaps start to appear in the group. If we want to split into more than one group to accommodate faster and slower riders, I would like one or more volunteers to lead the fast(er) group(s). I will lead the slowest group! :okay:

I'll keep track of who is planning to ride and will post updated lists below from time to time.

So ... post below if you fancy joining me/us. (State whether you are a 'definite' or a 'maybe'.)

Attachments

• emergency-map-trough-forum-ride-29-3-14-gif.36018.gif
    emergency-map-trough-forum-ride-29-3-14-gif.36018.gif
    379.9 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:

phil_hg_uk

I am not a member, I am a free man !!!!!!
I will be there as long as it is not Raining Heavily, Snowing, I am not ill, I am still alive.

Can you PM me nearer the time incase I forget.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Can you PM me nearer the time incase I forget.
That's what diaries are for! :laugh:

I'd have thought as a tech guy, you would be well up on the electronic version with alarm reminders? :whistle:

I have multiple alarms set on my phone for drug taking (Smoke spliff now! Take Warfarin - 7 mg), Wakey Wakey!!!, hospital appointment, that kind of thing!

If I remember to remind you, I will. In fact, I've now written in my diary for the week before - 'Contact Phil about forum ride'. I will tag you in this thread, and if that doesn't catch your attention then I'll PM you.

phil_hg_uk

That's what diaries are for! :laugh:

I'd have thought as a tech guy, you would be well up on the electronic version with alarm reminders? :whistle:

I have multiple alarms set on my phone for drug taking (Smoke spliff now! Take Warfarin - 7 mg), Wakey Wakey!!!, hospital appointment, that kind of thing!

If I remember to remind you, I will. In fact, I've now written in my diary for the week before - 'Contact Phil about forum ride'. I will tag you in this thread, and if that doesn't catch your attention then I'll PM you.

Thanks ...... I will also put it in my phone :-)

Is wuss @potsy coming ?

phil_hg_uk

I believe so and I hope so, but I had noticed her extended absence from CC too. I hope all is well ...

To be honest I don't post that much on here these days either more a lurker, but its nice to keep in touch with yourself and a few other people one here. It would be nice to see her again and also @potsy if he can manage to pedal that far :whistle:

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
Not been to Glasson since I was a youngster and was staying at Cockeram sands,put me down as a possible depending on Wife work patterens and if I can get the monsters Errrrrr I mean kids looked after.

potsy

Rambler
As much as I enjoyed the ride last year sadly I am a million miles away from being able to do a ride like this currently, unless a miracle happens in the next 5 weeks then I'll have to be a very unlikely maybe.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

'Definites':
  • ColinJ
'Maybes':
  • phil_hg_uk (if weather ok and not ill/dead!)
  • skudupnorth (subject to work/wife/life patterns!)
'Unlikelys which we do NOT want to happen':
  • Nuclear holocaust
  • Incurable global pandemic
  • Bicycles banned from UK roads during daylight hours
  • Sea level rise of 20 metres
'Unlikelys which we DO want to happen':
  • @potsy undertakes amazingly effective 5 week training plan and decides to ride!

:okay:

phil_hg_uk

As much as I enjoyed the ride last year sadly I am a million miles away from being able to do a ride like this currently, unless a miracle happens in the next 5 weeks then I'll have to be a very unlikely maybe.

Dont be a wuss, I have only been out on my bike 3 times since Nov and I can do that mileage no problem.

Top Bottom