Forum Ride - Meriden Monogear Meander (55 miles, 16th October)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Hi all.

I recently organised a forum ride from Meriden and on that occasion was joined by Norry1 and dave_r on multi-geared bikes and Mr Phoebus riding fixed. I was riding my multi-geared Basso that day, having brought it down with me for the Shakespeare 100 sportive the following Sunday.

Normally though, when I'm in the Midlands I ride a singlespeed Basso which I keep at my sister's house. I'm coming down again mid-October for her 60th birthday party and thought I'd organise another forum ride for that weekend. Norry1, dave_r and Mr Phoebus all expressed interest in riding fixed and I'll be on singlespeed, so ...

The Meriden Monogear Meander concept was born! I have devised a relatively flat 55 mile route from Meriden which I will be riding on Sunday, 16th October 2011. You are hereby invited to join me! Meet at the cyclists' memorial, Meriden at 09:45[sup]1[/sup], aiming to set off at 10:00. I expect that we will get back at about 14:30-15:00, allowing time for a decent cafe stop. We won't be breaking any speed records and nobody will be left behind. All welcome!

Gearing options for ride:
  • Fixed
  • Singlespeed
  • Multigeared, but stick in one gear, chosen at the start
  • Multigeared, stick in one gear, chosen at the start, but give up on that later and use other gears if you want to - it's supposed to be fun, not torture! ;)
The route:

Meriden, Berkswell, Carol Green, Burton Green, Kenilworth Castle, Leek Wooton, Hill Wooton, Blackdown, Cubbington, Offchurch, Bascote Heath, Harbury, Windmill Hill, Barn Hill, Ashorne, Wellesborne, Charlecote (cafe at 31 miles), Hampton Lucy, Hatton Rock, Ingon, Snitterfield, Norton Lindsey, Hatton, Haseley Green, Honiley, Balsall Common, Beechwood, Berkswell, Meriden.

Route map on Bikely

The route is 55 miles in length and features a few significant undulations to test the one-gear riders without being a complete leg-breaker.

So, please express interest below ...

[sup]1[/sup] If anyone will be riding to Meriden from central Coventry, arrange to meet me at the bottom of Barkers Butts Lane by the traffic lights and we can ride up to Meriden together (and back again afterwards). That would add about 16 miles to the total.

paulb55

Über Member
Hi all.

I recently organised a forum ride from Meriden and on that occasion was joined by Norry1 and dave_r on multi-geared bikes and Mr Phoebus riding fixed. I was riding my multi-geared Basso that day, having brought it down with me for the Shakespeare 100 sportive the following Sunday.

Normally though, when I'm in the Midlands I ride a singlespeed Basso which I keep at my sister's house. I'm coming down again mid-October for her 60th birthday party and thought I'd organise another forum ride for that weekend. Norry1, dave_r and Mr Phoebus all expressed interest in riding fixed and I'll be on singlespeed, so ...

The Meriden Monogear Meander concept was born! I am going to work out a relatively flat 50 mile route from Meriden which I will be riding on Sunday, 16th October 2011. You are hereby invited to join me! Meet at the cyclists' memorial, Meriden at 09:45, aiming to set off at 10:00. I expect that we will get back at about 14:00, allowing time for a decent cafe stop at about the 30 mile point. We won't be breaking any speed records and nobody will be left behind. All welcome!

Gearing options for ride:
  • Fixed
  • Singlespeed
  • Multigeared, but stick in one gear, chosen at the start
  • Multigeared, stick in one gear, chosen at the start, but give up on that later and use other gears if you want to - it's supposed to be fun, not torture! ;)
I'll post details of the route once I've worked it out.

So, express interest below ...

Sounds interesting

would like to join up, lets see who else come up and its definitely multi geared for me
wub.gif

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Sounds interesting
would like to join up, lets see who else come up and its definitely multi geared for me
wub.gif
No problem - use your gears if you want to! I quite like riding the singlespeed bike in that area because it is pretty flat compared to Yorkshire, but I struggle on hills above about 8% unless they are very short.

I'm up for it, I'll be out on my fixed.

Any ideas on the Café stop yet Colin.

http://www.earlswood...re.co.uk/1.html

http://www.yewtreefa...he_yew_tree.htm
Ah, the Yew Tree farm cafe looks promising because I was thinking of heading south of Meriden this time.

Riders:
Possibles:
  • Norry1
  • Mr Phoebus

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Okay folks, I've come up with the route and have updated the first post with details. It has come in at 55 miles rather than the 50 that I was aiming for. I wanted to stick to quiet roads where possible and I would probably have to have taken us down some busy roads to knock the extra 5 miles off. 55 should miles be okay, given the lack of any serious hills.

A visit to Yew Tree farm cafe would have made the route even longer so I found an alternative. Hatton locks cafe looks okay, and don't worry Dave - I checked - they do sell egg and beans on toast! :thumbsup: (Dave was mightily disappointed on our 'Meriden Metric Meander' ride when the cafe we visited didn't have any beans that day, and didn't do eggs!)

D

Deleted member 1258

Okay folks, I've come up with the route and have updated the first post with details. It has come in at 55 miles rather than the 50 that I was aiming for. I wanted to stick to quiet roads where possible and I would probably have to have taken us down some busy roads to knock the extra 5 miles off. 55 should miles be okay, given the lack of any serious hills.

A visit to Yew Tree farm cafe would have made the route even longer so I found an alternative. Hatton locks cafe looks okay, and don't worry Dave - I checked - they do sell egg and beans on toast! :thumbsup: (Dave was mightily disappointed on our 'Meriden Metric Meander' ride when the cafe we visited didn't have any beans that day, and didn't do eggs!)

There are two café's earlier in the route, Wellesbourne Airfield, The Touchdown Cafe, can get very busy. http://www.rigsville.org.uk/breakfast/cat.asp?iCat=63

just up the road is Charlcote House and across the road from the house is the Charlecote Garden Store http://www.thegardeningwebsite.co.uk/charlecote-garden-store-i3110.html
Theres a Cafe in the back. We had one of the controls there when I did the Audax earlier in the year. I know Hatton and tend to avoid it, it can be a bit expensive, toasted tea cake and a coffee and not much change out of a fiver. I like the route, though I wouldn't have gone through the outskirts of Cov, the descent on Stoneleigh road, the second one, can top thirty mph.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

There are two café's earlier in the route, Wellesbourne Airfield, The Touchdown Cafe, can get very busy. http://www.rigsville...cat.asp?iCat=63
Well, let's skip that one then.

just up the road is Charlcote House and across the road from the house is the Charlecote Garden Store http://www.thegarden...tore-i3110.html
Theres a Cafe in the back. We had one of the controls there when I did the Audax earlier in the year. I know Hatton and tend to avoid it, it can be a bit expensive, toasted tea cake and a coffee and not much change out of a fiver.
Charlecote garden store cafe sounds ideal and it is at a better point in the ride. Let's go there then.

I like the route, though I wouldn't have gone through the outskirts of Cov, the descent on Stoneleigh road, the second one, can top thirty mph.
I was going to ask why that's a problem but I was forgetting that several of you will be riding fixed. I could change that bit if necessary, maybe by going round past Kenilworth Castle. How about ... Burton Green, Kenilworth Castle, Leek Wooton, Hill Wooton, Blackdown, Cubbington - would that be better?

D

Deleted member 1258

Well, let's skip that one then.

Charlecote garden store cafe sounds ideal and it is at a better point in the ride. Let's go there then.

I was going to ask why that's a problem but I was forgetting that several of you will be riding fixed. I could change that bit if necessary, maybe by going round past Kenilworth Castle. How about ... Burton Green, Kenilworth Castle, Leek Wooton, Hill Wooton, Blackdown, Cubbington - would that be better?

Both ideas sound good.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Both ideas sound good.
Okay - I've changed the route to go through Kenilworth past the castle and I have updated the map on Bikely. Our stop will now be at Charlecote garden store cafe at about the 31 mile point.

Mr Phoebus

Hi Colin

Unfortunately that weekend I'll be at Lake Vyrnwy for my brother's birthday. Hopefully next time.

I've ridden that route a few times and it's a great route.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Hi Colin

Unfortunately that weekend I'll be at Lake Vyrnwy for my brother's birthday. Hopefully next time.
Oh well - have fun!

I've ridden that route a few times and it's a great route.
That's good - I haven't ridden all of those roads before so I chose a mixture of ones that I have plus the quietest looking others to join those up and make a nice loop of the right length.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Just bumping this up so anybody who hasn't spotted the thread yet gets the chance to!

Currently we have ...
And possibly:
  • Norry1

Come join Dave, Paul and me on what should be a fun forum ride in Warwickshire. Don't let the one gear thing put you off - nobody will worry if you'd rather use all your gears! :thumbsup:

Wobblers

Euthermic
Sounds like fun. I'm not sure about this "monogear" business though: all my bikes have gears and are staying that way! :biggrin:

I think I'll join you, if you don't mind the number of gears being quadtripled! Though it's just after the Brighton FNRttC, so it does rather depend on me waking up in time...

:whistle: (Er, are there any other Midland CycleChat members who actually like doing forum rides?)

Foul slander that is!!! Just wait until we finally get you on a FNRttC!

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Apologies from here again. Excuses are:
1) Sunday - like to keep Sundays free, particulary the mornings. Too many been disrupted recently.
2) Mum might be coming over that day.
3) World Cup. Not seen enough games this year.
4) Only 1 bike in garage, and it has 18 gears.
5) Need to start tapering my excercise ready for the 1/2 marathon in 7 days time (from the MMM)

Top Bottom