Forum software change

My heart sank when I read this. Clearly there are reasons you want to do it and need to do it but I don't take to change easily and things seem to change constantly recently, forum structure, mod approach and a couple of other things. Perhaps it's just my perception and I've reached that stage where I've spent too long on here.

Will the functionality be the same, blogs, downloads, chatroom, status stuff or will we lose some of this?

OP
OP
Shaun

Shaun

Founder
Will the functionality be the same, blogs, downloads, chatroom, status stuff or will we lose some of this?

This is what I will be working on over the coming months. I am hoping to keep as much of the current functionality as possible, and where we can't I will let everyone know, or try to find an alternative approach.

I am aware that I focused too much on the technical aspect the last time we changed, and that I changed too much at once. I left the community to pretty much fend for themselves as I stuck my head under the bonnet fiddling with the technical stuff - and I plan to do it differently this time.

I will be preparing migration info before we move (How to's and video demos) and polling the membership regarding the main features you use so that I can demonstrate how to do the same things in the new software.

I will familiarise myself more with the admin tools so that when the change does happen I will not be distracted by technical chores and instead be able to concentrate on being available to help everyone aclimatise.

As I said, I have not taken the decision lightly and will do my best (taking previous lessons into account) to try and make the transition as smooth as possible.

Cheers,
Shaun :biggrin:

Ok, if you are polling for views ...

One of the features I use most of all is the one to follow forums. There are some that I am not interested in at all so this helps me keep track of any new stuff in the ones I do follow.

A feature I would like to see in addition to being able to ignore posters (which I don't use as invariably they get quoted), is the ability to ignore selected threads. For example, in the rides forum, I want to follow anything in Scotland, but on the whole I am not interested in the FNRttC simply because I can't make it.

OP
OP
Shaun

Shaun

Founder
There's a nice simple "Watch topic" link for each thread, and in addition you can auto-watch every thread you post in and it's really easy to access your list of watched threads.

You can also get neat little notifications of new posts or likes on topics you're watching so it's easy to jump in if someone has repsonded.

You can follow people too, so if someone regularly hosts rides you're interested in you can follow them and see their posts in your news feed - allowing you to easily pick up on their new ride threads as you scroll through your daily CC digest.

I'm not sure about watching whole forums though - I think that's a feature that has been requested but isn't yet available.

However the Xenforo developers are working on 1.1, which is due out in the summer, and there may be further point releases before we move; so whilst the current version may be lacking some things, they may become available by the time we move.

I'll get into more detail with everyone nearer the time - do some features Q&A etc. - but I'm confident that most people will find it easier to use, and as a result, enjoy visitng CC more.

Cheers,

rusky

CC Addict
I'll put my name forward as a beta tester when you're ready/if you need one since I've used XF on GC :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Shaun

Shaun

Founder
I'll put my name forward as a beta tester when you're ready/if you need one since I've used XF on GC :thumbsup:

Thanks, and yes, I'll want to go through a similar process to the last move and create a focus group to test it out beforehand. :smile:

This is what I will be working on over the coming months. I am hoping to keep as much of the current functionality as possible, and where we can't I will let everyone know, or try to find an alternative approach.

I am aware that I focused too much on the technical aspect the last time we changed, and that I changed too much at once. I left the community to pretty much fend for themselves as I stuck my head under the bonnet fiddling with the technical stuff - and I plan to do it differently this time.

I will be preparing migration info before we move (How to's and video demos) and polling the membership regarding the main features you use so that I can demonstrate how to do the same things in the new software.

I will familiarise myself more with the admin tools so that when the change does happen I will not be distracted by technical chores and instead be able to concentrate on being available to help everyone aclimatise.

As I said, I have not taken the decision lightly and will do my best (taking previous lessons into account) to try and make the transition as smooth as possible.

Cheers,

Thanks Shaun. I didn't mean to sound ungrateful in my post, all your hard work on this forum is appreciated.

OP
OP
Shaun

Shaun

Founder
Thanks Shaun. I didn't mean to sound ungrateful in my post, all your hard work on this forum is appreciated.

You didn't - and I'm well aware that "Software" and "change" are two words that, when used together, strike fear into the hearts of many ... :rofl:

The simplicity and ease-of-use are the key factors in me finally deciding to change. The whole "user experience" is less, well, clunky and cluttered (for want of a non-technical description).

I'm confident that once we're on the XF platform people will enjoy using CC more.

Cheers,

(Yikes ... I'd better make sure it's damned-hot or else I'm gonna get lynched!!!)

jonesy

Guru
Shaun, the one request I'd make for the new software is to include easy to use selection of the mobile version with a standard link, so we don't have to rely upon auto detection of mobile browsers. The 'skinchanger' link in the current version is great in principle, but as soon as you log in the selection is over-ridden by whatever previous setting you had when last logged in, making it necessary manually to select the mobile theme again.

OP
OP
Shaun

Shaun

Founder
Okay. I haven't looked too hard at mobile support and skins just yet - I want to get the core functionality and major added extras sorted first - but I'll likely run a mobile Q&A further down the line to gather feedback and usage habits so we cover the main elements.

Cheers,

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
^^^^ (just keeping an eye on TC.......)

Shaun - do you perhaps need to get out on the bike a bit more? I mean 'GeeksTalk'. This is scary stuff, matey. And I write this as one with an unhealthy obsession with gear ratios.

Anyroadup - I'm sure that a) it will be perfect and that b) I won't understand a word of it. Now, if somebody can just tell me how this PM thing works..........

Top Bottom