Found a bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
Dumped in the local park . It looks like someone has set fire to the front wheel but it didnt work . What would be the best way to get it back to the owner ?

greekonabike

President of the 'Democratic Republic' of GOAB
You could always drop it into your local police station and they could check sites like bike register, immobilise etc to see if the frame number was ever registered. Does it look like someone would want it back or is it in a bad way?

GOAB

greekonabike

https://www.bikeregister.com/bike-checker

Note I have a friend who plans to get rid of her skip-rescue bike by "leaving it on the high street"

Surely it would be easier to put it on a site like Gumtree or similar. We're quite lucky that we have a very well stocked second hand bike shop locally and by the sounds of it they buy pretty much anything providing it can be made roadworthy. It's a pretty decent option for people strapped for cash.

GOAB

Surely it would be easier to put it on a site like Gumtree or similar. We're quite lucky that we have a very well stocked second hand bike shop locally and by the sounds of it they buy pretty much anything providing it can be made roadworthy. It's a pretty decent option for people strapped for cash.

GOAB
Well, it's obviously easier to leave something in the street than to put an ad on gumtree, field calls, arrange to meet, haggle on price etc etc. Her intention was for the bike to be taken by someone who could use it.

But don't worry, I have a friend who can use it, so have dibs on it for when she is done with it.

greekonabike

Maybe it was the owner who set fire to it. We've all felt like that when we're thirty miles from home, started to bonk and there's a headwind.

I must remember to put a can of lighter fluid in my saddle bag before my next jaunt.

GOAB

Globalti

Legendary Member
What kind of bike is it? Anything good? When I found a carbon Roubaix dumped in a river and took it to the Police the clerk on duty laboriously filled in a report in a huge ledger, took a ruler and tore some of it off as a receipt then stashed the bike with all the other found bikes in a big shed. I realised there was zero chance of the ledger being matched up with any theft report on a computer so I wasn't surprised to get it back a month later, which started me off as a road cyclist after 21 years of mountain biking.

OP
OP
Cuchilo

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
Well, it's obviously easier to leave something in the street than to put an ad on gumtree, field calls, arrange to meet, haggle on price etc etc. Her intention was for the bike to be taken by someone who could use it.

But don't worry, I have a friend who can use it, so have dibs on it for when she is done with it.
I may try that with my old sofa :laugh:

Top Bottom