Found this Brompton Article from 2005, Prices have shot up since then.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alembicbassman

Confused.com
You could sell your 2005 Brompton for more than you paid for it.

http://www.atob.org.uk/folding-bikes/brompton-folding-bikes-2005/

"The good news for traditionally-minded folk is that the old C, L and T-types remain on the books, and at similar prices.The C type becomes the C3E at £380, the L3 becomes the M3L at £480, and the T6, M6R-PLUS (yes, R for rack) at £635.The C still comes in red, but in true Henry Ford style, the M3L and M6R will be available only in black with silver forks and rear frame. If you really want a 6-speed L, or a 3-speed R – or any colour other than black – you can have it, but you will have to pay for a special build machine."

Even adjusting for inflation the prices seem to have risen considerably.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Am I the only person who's slightly sceptical of those prices? Back in the days when I was asked at traffic lights in London to talk about the strange bike I was riding, and I tore a card off the pack cable-tied to the saddle to give to whoever asked* I remember paying about £700 for the 5-speed, and saying that the cheapest - single speed - was about £500.

No - I'm wrong. Here's some more evidence from 2002 - implying the basic C3 was about £350. On the other hand, an online inflation calculator suggests that's now worth about £550, compared with the £850 or so a basic Brompton would cost now.

Remembering the components and some of the workmanship I had to put up with in the 1990s, the quality of everything has improved immeasurably. Add to that the fact that almost all the raw materials have to be imported, so have been subject to the post-Brexit vote decline in the value of Sterling, and it's not difficult to justify the price hike. They have also pitched the bike as more of a lifestyle aid for the cool and hip than the workhorse for middle-aged yachties and eccentrics they sold to then - which has no doubt bumped up the price a little.

*Both these statements are absolutely true. It was 1996, when a cycle commuter in London was a rare bird, and a Brompton was an exotic.

chriscross1966

Über Member
[QUOTE 5247046, member: 259"]You see a hell of a lot more of them nowadays. Has the componentry improved a lot over that time or is it just that they'l charge what they can get away with (nothing wrong with that of course!)[/QUOTE]
It's the amount of commuting folks do... the closest to work I can afford to live is about an hours drive up a road notorious for accidents... I'd prefer to do it as a two hour bus and Brompton commute with an hour asleep on a bus...

simongt

Guru
This is all down to 'relative costs' and folk's perception of value within the areas of their own personal interests. As I'm sure we on this site are well aware, when you say to a 'non cyclist' that you've just paid say, £800+ for a bike, they will inevitably respond 'HOW MUCH - ? :eek: I saw one in Wilco ( or wherever ) for £100 - !' Yet if that same person is say, a keen musician, they'll think nothing of shelling out £600 for a guitar. :rolleyes:
It all depends on the focus of one's personal interest.

OP
OP
Alembicbassman

Alembicbassman

Confused.com
It's similar to Concorde's marketing. Concorde was making huge losses in the late 70s. The business people travelling on it had no idea how much it cost because the tickets were booked by their staff. BA commissioned a study into how much they thought a Concorde ticket cost, the results came back much higher than it actually cost. So BA hiked the prices and by the 80s Concorde started to make money. People were prepared to pay a large premium for the convenience.

Top Bottom