Four Internet shops put to the test

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AlanW

Guru
Ok, I decided to conduct my own survey as to which one is best. :cheers:

So yesterday afternoon I ordered roughly £50 worth of gear from the following internet bike sites:-

Ribble

Wiggle

Chain Reaction

Absolute Cycles (ebay shop)

Which one or even which ones do you think let me down?

Only ever used Wiggle, Chain Reaction and Pro bike kit (not on your list) and IME if an item is in stock you get it within 2-3days, so I'd guess one or both of the other two (Ribble & Absolute).

potsy

Rambler
I'd be surprised if CRC let you down,always had good service from them, i've used wiggle which have been OK for me,as have ribble on the 1 occasion I used them.
The place that I have decided to boycott again is Tredz,ordered something the other day showed on the site as available,e-mail next day to say out of stock.2nd time they've done that now.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
+1 never had a bad service from CRC. They are now my internet retailer of choice. Wiggle a couple of problems. Ribble only used twice and both times very satisfactory

potsy said:
I'd be surprised if CRC let you down,always had good service from them, i've used wiggle which have been OK for me,as have ribble on the 1 occasion I used them.
The place that I have decided to boycott again is Tredz,ordered something the other day showed on the site as available,e-mail next day to say out of stock.2nd time they've done that now.

Noodley

Define "let me down"...did some of them promise to respect you in the morning? Or maybe you just expect too much from the relationship :ohmy:

OP
OP
AlanW

AlanW

Guru
Noodley said:
Define "let me down"...did some of them promise to respect you in the morning? Or maybe you just expect too much from the relationship :ohmy:

Fair point, but nobody likes waiting for stuff to arrive do they, least of all me. :shy:

Ribble used to be terrible, in fact many years ago I was once forced to take legal action against them for not refunding a large amount of money. In fact at the time, and I am talking over ten years ago, you dealt with them at your peril to be honest. However, they have improved ten fold and I regularly use them now, they are consistently lower priced than most, and the goods arrive within a couple of days.

Wiggle are expensive when compared to other internet stores. BUT, on the whole the customer service and exchange/replacement process is mighty impressive. Combine that with a normally quick delivery service means that they are a tough act to beat. And for that reason people are happy to pay a couple of quid extra. That said, just recently there have been some chinks in their armour and delivery times have slipped. When the bar is set so high by them, when stuff takes a day longer we complain, human nature.

Chain Reaction, you need to check prices, as they are not always that cheap, but delivery is pretty quick. But I have had some nightmare experiences with them to be honest, wrong goods sent, wrong prices charged, problems getting stuff exchanged etc etc. But I still use them, but always open the parcel with baited breath!

Absolute Cycles, e-bay shop, really low prices, I mean really low on some items. For example I recently bought a Ultegra 10sp rear mech, half what Ribble were charging! Super fast delivery, make them my first post of call when I'm shopping.

Noodley said:

No free packet of sweeties from Wiggle i expect :shy:

Simon

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
I've used Wiggle and CRC a lot. You need to check prices as Wiggle esp can be a tad pricey, but TBH their service has always been superb, with stuff delivered v. quickly.

Used Ribble for the first time last week, and wasnt impressed. Although the stuff arrived I was never confident in when it was going to turn up, and tryig to contact them afterwards was a nightmare.... just glad there was no real problem. But it made me think twice about using them again.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Wiggle has lost my custom after a number of experiences with very slow delivery where the part is in stock and priority dispatch paid yet it is not even picked for 4 days or so.

Brains

Legendary Member
I use St Johns Steet Cycles as my supplier of choice.

I'm sure I could buy the same stuff slightly cheaper elsewhere if I could be bothered to trawl t'web but ther service is superb and in the rare cases where something goes wrong, it's them that calls you, not you that calls them

Top Bottom