Four Lions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brains

Legendary Member
Saw it today;

This is London, so the events depicted are a bit close to home.
It's a good attempt to make a very serious subject funny, but it does not quite pull it off, it has it's moments, but it can't decide if it's an out and out comedy or a documentry with a serious purpose.

I'd say it's one for the DVD personally

(As an aside one friend killed on the 7/7 bus and one of the wife's work collegues killed on the tube same day, so as I said, a bit close to home)

Maz

Guru
I'll be watching it. A film about Muslims and Sheffield is right up my street!

mercurykev

I saw it yesterday and thought that it was pretty good. Some good acting and some very funny scenes; however, the take away for me is the idea that even deluded idiots can get lucky and make viable bombs. I also though that the portrayal of the police was good.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
ASC1951 said:
You've completely lost me there, FM, so probably not.

The reviews I have seen for Four Lions suggest that it's the same as his other work - starts off well, runs out of ideas and the rest is an unfunny plod. I'll give it a miss.

It was a Brass Eye reference (one of the many names for the 'made-up drug', Cake). You clearly have a very different sense of humour from me. The bleak but hilarious surrealism of Morris has been the apogee of recent British humour IMHO - and it absolutely skewered the media, asnd was incredibly prescient - almost every commercial TV documentary looks more Brass Eye than Brass Eye these days.

I am not sure how well it would work at movie length though. Unlike you I never thought his humour 'plodded'* at TV prog length, in fact it never let up - but 1.5 hours? I will see...

*except (Blue) Jam of course, but that was often deliberately slowed to an excruciating pace. Very, very disturbing and on the edge of being almost completely unwatchable (or unlistenable).

theclaud

Openly Marxist
hackbike 666 said:

I don't think hackbike wants to end up like a piano dentist, or even worse go all blutie and take a quack candle and his arms to feel like a couple of fortnights in a bad balloon. Understandable, really...

Funtboy

theclaud said:
I don't think hackbike wants to end up like a piano dentist, or even worse go all blutie and take a quack candle and his arms to feel like a couple of fortnights in a bad balloon. Understandable, really...

It might affect his Shatner's Bassoon...

Wigsie

Nincompoop
Finally saw this on DVD the other day...

Fantastic movie IMO, witty, subtle, hilarious, moving and thought provoking/scary!

Top Bottom